Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
When I sign into some websites, Safari automatically asks me if I want to add the password to my iCloud keychain. But for some websites (this forum for example), Safari does not ask me if I want to save the password to my iCloud keychain. What do I do in this case? How can I manually add an entry to the iCloud keychain?

PS: I've already checked the setting in Safari's preferences that says "allow autofill even for websites that request passwords not to be saved."

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I sign into some websites, Safari automatically asks me if I want to add the password to my iCloud keychain. But for some websites (this forum for example), Safari does not ask me if I want to save the password to my iCloud keychain. What do I do in this case? How can I manually add an entry to the iCloud keychain?

PS: I've already checked the setting in Safari's preferences that says "allow autofill even for websites that request passwords not to be saved."

It is a flaw in the design of certain web sites like this one. I have seen reports from users who were able to get the Macrumors password to save in Keychain in Safari on iOS, then iCloud synced it over to the OS X keychain. There is no way to add one manually.

I was wondering the same thing. Also, how do you have it generate passwords?

When setting a new PW in Safari you should see this screen.

s7i8T9W.png

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
It is a flaw in the design of certain web sites like this one. I have seen reports from users who were able to get the Macrumors password to save in Keychain in Safari on iOS, then iCloud synced it over to the OS X keychain. There is no way to add one manually.

It's interesting that you call this a flaw in this website. I would personally call it a flaw in the iCloud Keychain, because my dedicated password manager (1password) has no problems storing the password for this website in its keychain. The fact that you cannot manually add an entry seems to be another glaring flaw.

Also, safari on ios has never given me an option to save this websites password.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It's interesting that you call this a flaw in this website. I would personally call it a flaw in the iCloud Keychain, because my dedicated password manager (1password) has no problems storing the password for this website in its keychain. The fact that you cannot manually add an entry seems to be another glaring flaw.

If it works properly on most web sites, and not this one, then I am calling it a design issue with the web site. You can call it whatever makes you happy.

Even before Mavericks and iCloud Keychain this site has never saved the PW to Keychain. MR uses cookies to save the PW.

Also, safari on ios has never given me an option to save this websites password.

If you read the main thread on this issue you will find several users who did exactly what I mentioned.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida

When setting a new PW in Safari you should see this screen.

Thanks!!!!

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Can you not transfer the password to the iCloud keychain using /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access?

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
If it works properly on most web sites, and not this one, then I am calling it a design issue with the web site. You can call it whatever makes you happy.

Similarly I would say: if the website works properly on most password managers, and not this one, then I am calling it a design issue with the password manager (iCloud Keychain) rather than the website.

If you read the main thread on this issue you will find several users who did exactly what I mentioned.

Then I'm not sure why it's not working for me. I'd really appreciate it if you could link me to this thread. Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Similarly I would say: if the website works properly on most password managers, and not this one, then I am calling it a design issue with the password manager (iCloud Keychain) rather than the website.

Like I said... whatever makes you happy. I'm not interested in a debate.

Then I'm not sure why it's not working for me. I'd really appreciate it if you could link me to this thread. Thanks.

Post #4 and #6 in this thread. I saw the same trick mentioned in other threads.

testing456

Dec 3, 2013
Solution

There is a way.

Go to a random website, in this example: brolmo.com.

1. Register and save username and password to Safari.
2. Open Keychain Access.
3. Edit brolmo.com entry with details of your intended website.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.