Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I recently installed Mavericks on my 2012 13" MacBook Air (2.0/8GB) and have experienced a few issues.

The finder is kinda slow - especially when accessing folders for the first time after being logged out / waking up. It's shows the folder, but the content will only be shown after 20-30 sec. If I access it again it shows the content immediately...

Also I see the spinning beach ball a lot more than before. But only for like half a second. Sometimes it shows up when right clicking somewhere, changing text in Photoshop or doing something else. It does not affect my work, but I would really like it to stop...

I also experience safari being slow to load websites once in a while.

Everything just seems slower - before my MacBook Air was just blazing fast!

Has anyone else noticed the issues with the slow finder and spinning beach ball? And is there a way to fix it? Maybe it is just some bugs that will be corrected in an update...

Last edited:

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Can anyone test this:

Log out or restart your machine - open safari and try to download (save as) an image to the hard drive.

Does the finder take long to show the content of the folders you choose to save the image to?

This is just an example. Also in ex. Photoshop when I open or save a file (for the first time or after a while) it takes soooo long to show the content of the folders in the finder.

Any advice? I have clean-installed Mavericks.

Machine: 13" MacBook Air 2012 (2.0GHz i7/8GB ram/265GB SSD)

Really frustrating when working!!

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i've experienced the beach ball issue on several macs, though it didn't have any negative affect on the system performance.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
i've experienced the beach ball issue on several macs, though it didn't have any negative affect on the system performance.

It doesn't affect the performance here as well.

What about the content/files of folders not showing immediately when accessing the folder from safari/apps ??

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008

What about the content/files of folders not showing immediately when accessing the folder from safari/apps ??

i've not experienced any issues with finder. have you tried to repair permissions and verify disk in the disk utility, or maybe even resetting pram?

dangerly

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2009
European Dis-Union
Two days ago I upgraded two iMacs to Mavericks. One is a 24" 3.06 C2D 8Gb (2009) the other is a 27" i7 3.4 GHz 24Gb (late 2012).

Well, the 24" iMac has become a snail in just about every task.
As far as the 27" iMac i experience similar slowdowns and beachballs showing up as you do with your MBAir.
I did a clean install of Mavericks on both my iMacs.

Don't know why and hope somebody has an explanation for this.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
i've not experienced any issues with finder. have you tried to repair permissions and verify disk in the disk utility, or maybe even resetting pram?

I have tried both.

In the finder it shows a loading/searching icon in the bottom of the finder window until the files are showing.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010

I see the ultra brief beach balls as well, normally when I'm in parallels and ram utilization is high (8gb early 2013 13" rmbp). Wondering if it might be memory compression at work but not sure.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I see the ultra brief beach balls as well, normally when I'm in parallels and ram utilization is high (8gb early 2013 13" rmbp). Wondering if it might be memory compression at work but not sure.

I can live with the beach balls but the finder issue is getting on my nerves.

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
I'm also getting the beachball issue, it's not causing any problems other than the facts it's really! irritating.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Also seeing the beachball on the 3 different computers I've installed Mavericks on. 27in iMac, Mac Pro, and 13in Air.

I've noticed on QuickLook that it takes a noticeable amount of time to display an image, or most any other type of file.

Hopefully will be fixed in 10.9.1.

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
I also am seeing a slow finder. Most irritating with you have to attach a file or do a save file as. It just takes too long to load the folder.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
This is driving me insane

OP.

I have this very issue, and no matter what I have tried I cannot solve the issue.

Finder is slow......... spinning wheel while loading, but most of all saving any attachment is a 30 second wait to load folders on any level in finder.

So far I have:
Repaired permissions.
Reset PRAM
Reset SMC
RE-indexed spotlight

2013 MBA maxed out.

Can anyone please advise on how we might fix this? Saving a mail attachment to any folder (even the desktop) results in a ridiculous holding pattern for the mac to (index?) the entire mac-> (or so it appears that's what's happening).

Thanks for any guidance/tips.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
OP.

I have this very issue, and no matter what I have tried I cannot solve the issue.

Finder is slow......... spinning wheel while loading, but most of all saving any attachment is a 30 second wait to load folders on any level in finder.

So far I have:
Repaired permissions.
Reset PRAM
Reset SMC
RE-indexed spotlight

2013 MBA maxed out.

Can anyone please advise on how we might fix this? Saving a mail attachment to any folder (even the desktop) results in a ridiculous holding pattern for the mac to (index?) the entire mac-> (or so it appears that's what's happening).

Thanks for any guidance/tips.

Not sure, but after permissions repair in disk utility, try this below. Can't hurt to try.

Clear the kext caches:

sudo chown root:admin (enter password)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Do in terminal and reboot. make sure your start up disk is still selected correctly in preferences.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Not sure, but after permissions repair in disk utility, try this below. Can't hurt to try.

Clear the kext caches:

sudo chown root:admin (enter password)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Do in terminal and reboot. make sure your start up disk is still selected correctly in preferences.

Not sure if I should be attempting this, can you advise on what exactly this is doing to my machine?

thanks for the tip, appreciate it.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I was gonna ask about the beach ball.

I get it quite often when I'm not doing anything strenuous, like if I just move the cursor over to a tab in Chrome, it'll appear for about half a second.

PixarPost

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
I also am seeing a slow finder. Most irritating with you have to attach a file or do a save file as. It just takes too long to load the folder.
This is my exact scenario as well - I am experiencing this on a Mid 2010 Mac Pro as well as a Late 2009 MacBook.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I get the half-second beach ball thing, too. Also, my MacBook Pro no longer responds after the first click. Sometimes I have to click an app/link two or three times before it opens. Other times I click it once and there is a delay in opening the link/app. Finally, things take forever to load.

IMO, Mavericks is the buggiest OS release.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
I upgraded my oldest Mac (2007 17" SR MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, SSD) to try out Mavericks before I upgrade on my main Macs. The result is a very slow computer. The worst thing is how the virtual machines in Fusion 5 or 6 behaves. They take maybe 5-10 times as long to boot and software are running extremely slow.

Is this normal because the Mac is old? Mountain Lion ran perfectly.

Last edited:

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
And this is why Mavericks sucks.:mad:

With ML that never went below 1GB free

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 4.26.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 4.26.41 PM.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,946

BuffMaltese

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
mid 2012 MBAir i7 8gb ram

blazing speed under mountain lion.

upgrade to mavericks....problems
clean install....same problems

Problems:

1) Frequently spinning beach ball (rainbow pinwheel)
2) pdf scrolling freezes in preview (unresponsive for a few seconds)
3) choppy full-screen video in Mplayer X, started using VLC player, same problem (intermittent, seems worse the first part of the video for some reason)

All pdf's and videos are saved to my hard drive

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I recently installed Mavericks on my 2012 13" MacBook Air (2.0/8GB) and have experienced a few issues.

The finder is kinda slow - especially when accessing folders for the first time after being logged out / waking up. It's shows the folder, but the content will only be shown after 20-30 sec. If I access it again it shows the content immediately...

Also I see the spinning beach ball a lot more than before. But only for like half a second. Sometimes it shows up when right clicking somewhere, changing text in Photoshop or doing something else. It does not affect my work, but I would really like it to stop...

I also experience safari being slow to load websites once in a while.

Everything just seems slower - before my MacBook Air was just blazing fast!

Has anyone else noticed the issues with the slow finder and spinning beach ball? And is there a way to fix it? Maybe it is just some bugs that will be corrected in an update...

Finder is a lot slower. Whenever I need to attach files in Safari it takes ages to load the files.

scarduner

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Of course they have a solution: buy a new Mac

Apple doesn't care about people who don't buy new Macs regularly. Apparently theyjust don't care about us cheapskate laggards.

My perfectly good older Macbook Pro is now unbearably slow. I can't work like this and I can't go out and buy a new computer to keep up with their OS...

I would have appreciated a nice big warning on install: "You are running an older Mac... You only have 4GB memory... Mavericks does not run well on older systems like yours..."

Too late now. Anyone got a few thousand they can lend me?

This is truly unacceptable.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Apple doesn't care about people who don't buy new Macs regularly. Apparently theyjust don't care about us cheapskate laggards.

My perfectly good older Macbook Pro is now unbearably slow. I can't work like this and I can't go out and buy a new computer to keep up with their OS...

I would have appreciated a nice big warning on install: "You are running an older Mac... You only have 4GB memory... Mavericks does not run well on older systems like yours..."

Too late now. Anyone got a few thousand they can lend me?

This is truly unacceptable.

Well you can always go back to ML. I actually think I might. Not digging Mavs for the problems outlined here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.