Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1
xtek
macrumors newbie

Why is Facebook forcing me to use Messenger

I woke up this morning and that's what I saw when I tried to read messages on my iPhone 5 with latest Facebook app.

Are they f%%ing kidding me? Why do I need this shi$%y Messenger app? I don't want it, I want to read and send messages in Facebook app. I like to read sth on Facebook and then read and write messages DURING this without need of switching between apps. I managed to skip it somehow - I clicked install, app store opened but I never installed Messenger, ahahhah Facebook, in your face! And then my messages came back. But for how long... :/
xtek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:04 PM   #2
sundog925
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtek View Post
I woke up this morning and that's what I saw when I tried to read messages on my iPhone 5 with latest Facebook app.

Are they f%%ing kidding me? Why do I need this shi$%y Messenger app? I don't want it, I want to read and send messages in Facebook app. I like to read sth on Facebook and then read and write messages DURING this without need of switching between apps. I managed to skip it somehow - I clicked install, app store opened but I never installed Messenger, ahahhah Facebook, in your face! And then my messages came back. But for how long... :/
um. ok.
sundog925 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Troneas
macrumors 65816

i also never quite understood the need for a facebook messenger app.

messages are already embedded in the facebook app, yet, facebook wants you to use this extra app if you have any hopes of enabling push notifications for them... as well as other features. not sure why.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4
xtek
macrumors newbie

Push works super-fine for me in Facebook app - as good for messages as for other stuff like posts and likes. Moreover, in the morning when I experienced this "blockage" I received push notifications as usual, I could read a part of message but when I clicked them and I was redirected to Facebook app, picture like I posted before appeared. Nonsense...

It seems that it's beginning to be an issue. Messenger app has 20 5-star ratings and 103 1-star and comments like this "Completely unnecessary app, forced to FB users in the greatest dick move since mandatory Timeline". I guess they change setting step by step for some people and force them to install idiotic Messenger app.

Last edited by xtek; Oct 30, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
xtek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:37 PM   #5
powerstrokin
macrumors 6502

Delete your Facebook, enjoy sunlight. Live life with less stress man.
powerstrokin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:46 PM   #6
C DM
macrumors G4

Interesting, I have Messenger installed, but can read/use messages from either Messenger or Facebook apps. Have you tried installing the app but not using it to see if you could still use messaging from within the Facebook app? Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling the Facebook app might help as well?
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 01:51 AM   #7
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

yea i have both installed and can use either or for messaging.
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 03:59 AM   #8
psg2000
macrumors member

Is there a workaround at all?
I'm determined not to use messenger
psg2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 04:11 AM   #9
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Yeah, Facebook can **** off if they think I'm downloading another app for them. If they do this on BlackBerry then I think I'll be pushed to delete my Facebook account.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting