Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
It's now officially the offseason with the Red Sox winning the World Series last night.

Some things to consider this offseason:

- ARod's appeal and lawsuit. How long will ARod be suspended for? Does he have a chance against MLB in the lawsuit?

- Yankees $189 million plan. Will they be able to get under $189 million this year to reset their luxury tax from 50% down to 12%? They also plan to spend $300 million this offseason( with a lot of it not counting toward the luxury tax). How will ARod's suspension help them? Do they resign Cano?

- Will Mattingly accept being a lame-duck manager for the Dodgers in 2014?

- Does Price get traded this offseason? Who will sell the farm for him?

- How will the Toronto Marlins try to rebound from 2013?

- Who manages the Tigers?

- After two collapses, how will the Rangers try to improve?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
After watching the Red Sox win I don't see the Yankees holding to their 189 plan. I see them blowing out the budget next year.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Yankees overpay for Jeter at $12 million. Though it does save them money in regard to the $189 million plan.

EDIT: Or not. Just an overpay.......

Last edited:

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
After watching the Red Sox win I don't see the Yankees holding to their 189 plan. I see them blowing out the budget next year.

You would think after seeing two teams in the World Series who built their teams with home-grown talent and signing high-character glue guys instead of over-priced all-stars the Yankees would realize that breaking the bank to sign a few Jacoby Ellsbury's this year won't win them another championship.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You would think after seeing two teams in the World Series who built their teams with home-grown talent and signing high-character glue guys instead of over-priced all-stars the Yankees would realize that breaking the bank to sign a few Jacoby Ellsbury's this year won't win them another championship.
They will over pay for Cano, a lot hinges on the A-Rod outcome.

And I don't think they over paid for Jeter, 12 million is a good deal for the Yankees since he is the one that fills seats.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

And I don't think they over paid for Jeter, 12 million is a good deal for the Yankees since he is the one that fills seats.

That's not a bad deal for Jeter.

I'm just waiting for Cashman to throw $200 million at a top-tier UFA (Ellsbury maybe?) like they did with Tiexeira, AJ Burnett, Sabathia, etc a few years back.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne

Yeah, they're in a tough spot at the moment. The minors aren't exactly overflowing with young talent, and they are not going to sit back and suck until that happens. I think $12 million for Jeter is high, but considering his "intangibles" probably fine for them. Pedroia will be making $12.5 million in 2014.

That said, I think they sign Cano, too. It makes too much sense for them and there aren't many better free agents out there.

The Red Sox will likely re-sign Napoli and I'm happy about that. I think he's a good fit, especially on a 1 or 2 year deal (essentially the original contract). I'm too much of a fan to be totally levelheaded about free agent decisions, because I really wish we could retain Ellsbury. I know pretty much everyone has conceded he's gone, but I hope that's not the case. I do think a 7 or 8 year deal for a 29/30 year old is dumb. Either way, I think the front office has learned from the Crawford fiasco and I trust their approach.

There are also rumblings that the Dodgers will try and trade for David Price. Yay for getting him out of the AL East, but man that would really tip the scales for the Dodgers, in my opinion.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004

When Jeter had a 9.5 million option? He wouldn't get anywhere close to $9.5 million anywhere else.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Yankees make qualifying offers to Kuroda, Cano, and Granderson. Nothing too shocking.

Only Kuroda and Granderson have a possibility of accepting.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
$12mil for one year for an injury riddled 39 year old SS that will probably play 50 games AT MOST? I realize he is a legacy guy and an icon for the franchise...but the "he fills seats" excuse can't really be used here since those seats are going to be filled regardless.

Being a Brewers fan, a team which has ONE player on the entire roster than makes $12mil or more, it's hard to wrap my head around paying a guy this much $$ just because he's a beloved figure in the franchise. I'm just not sure exactly what they're paying for here. If he isn't batting .280+ and playing 100+ games, I don't see how he is worth $12mil.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
$12mil for one year for an injury riddled 39 year old SS that will probably play 50 games AT MOST? I realize he is a legacy guy and an icon for the franchise...but the "he fills seats" excuse can't really be used here since those seats are going to be filled regardless.

Being a Brewers fan, a team which has ONE player on the entire roster than makes $12mil or more, it's hard to wrap my head around paying a guy this much $$ just because he's a beloved figure in the franchise. I'm just not sure exactly what they're paying for here. If he isn't batting .280+ and playing 100+ games, I don't see how he is worth $12mil.

I think you are overlooking the other intangibles that Jeter brings with him.... not only is a he classic "classy" baseball player, but he's also the veteran leadership. Plus when you are a franchise that just prints money, you get to be a little loose with valuation of players.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
While the forum was down here are some notes:

• All 13 qualifying offers have been rejected
  • The Atlanta Braves are abandoning Turner Field only after 20 years. Claiming its falling apart and renovations would cost $300 million.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Freese and Salas for Bourjos and prospects from the Angels.

St. Louis will always remember Freese for Game 6, but he was brutal this year. And we finally get a real center fielder, oh, and we no longer have to hold our breath when Salas comes in to pitch the 8th. I'd say it's a win for us. Now it's time to go shopping for a shortstop.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Can't complain about the Giants' moves so far. Re-sign Tim Lincecum and Javier Lopez, add Tim Hudson to the rotation. The elder Tim surely has much wisdom and insight to impart to the younger Tim, and I'm sure he'll love pitching in ATT Park.

Not sure where the left fielder is going to come from, but there are not a lot of appetizing (or affordable) options out there.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yankees get McCann,
NEW YORK -- After wooing Brian McCann during a visit to the Bronx this week, the New York Yankees have agreed to a five-year, $85 million contract with the catcher that includes a vesting option for a sixth season that could push the total to $100 million, a source has told ESPNNewYork.com.

The deal will have a full no-trade clause, according to a source.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...es-five-year-85-million-deal-new-york-yankees

And are in Talks to resign Kiroda.

Last edited:

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Cards sign Peralta pending physical.

Interesting moves over there. I like the signing, but the lack of offensive uptick in Center has me confuzzled.

Also what is going to happen with Adams? With 4 outfielders (Holliday, Bourjos, Jay, Taveras, and Craig if you count him).... I'm not sure what they are doing with him other than letting his bat waste on the bench. I think the writing is on the wall that Craig stays at First and Adams on the bench.... unless they think he can play third????

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Cards sign Peralta pending physical.

Interesting moves over there. I like the signing, but the lack of offensive uptick in Center has me confuzzled.

Also what is going to happen with Adams? With 4 outfielders (Holliday, Bourjos, Jay, Taveras, and Craig if you count him).... I'm not sure what they are doing with him other than letting his bat waste on the bench. I think the writing is on the wall that Craig stays at First and Adams on the bench.... unless they think he can play third????

My guess is Jay's on the way out, leaving Craig and Taveras to platoon in right and Adams at first. If Taveras can perform in the majors the way he has in the minors, than on any given day, you have Craig, Adams or Taveras on the bench - a huge upgrade over what we've had for the bench.

If Wong doesn't start hitting though, perhaps Peralta moves over to 3rd, Carp back to second, and Jay and Wong are part of a package for another shortstop.

Also curious to see what becomes of Kozma and Descalso. No room on the roster for both. Descalso's worse at short, but I think I'd keep him around because he can play third and second (unsure if Kozma plays anything besides short), and of the two, has the better bat, granted, Kozma hasn't exactly set the bar high in that department.

See PED's can make you more money.

Something A-Rod knows all about.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
My guess is Jay's on the way out, leaving Craig and Taveras to platoon in right and Adams at first. If Taveras can perform in the majors the way he has in the minors, than on any given day, you have Craig, Adams or Taveras on the bench - a huge upgrade over what we've had for the bench.

If Wong doesn't start hitting though, perhaps Peralta moves over to 3rd, Carp back to second, and Jay and Wong are part of a package for another shortstop.

Also curious to see what becomes of Kozma and Descalso. No room on the roster for both. Descalso's worse at short, but I think I'd keep him around because he can play third and second (unsure if Kozma plays anything besides short), and of the two, has the better bat, granted, Kozma hasn't exactly set the bar high in that department.

Something A-Rod knows all about.

Last year I was pretty enamored with Adams. Now that I've had some time to objectively go through some of his stats, I'm not sure that he isn't our next Chris Duncan. Adams can crush a fastball, but struggles with other pitches, and he chases and misses outside the zone.

Given that, my prediction is Craig is the opening day starting RF'er, Adams starting 1B, until Taveras is ready for his summer (june) call up. Then Taveras is back to RF, Craig to first, and Adams to bench. As a bench lefty that can't hit lefties, I suspect he is trade bait in July. Jay/Bourjos will platoon center with Bourjos getting the lion share of the playing time.

It's too bad the Cards didn't trade freese sooner in the offseason.... had they done that it would have afforded them an opportunity at Schumaker/Punto as bench utility infielders in case Wong doesn't start hitting like he did in Memphis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.