Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Hahaha. Baseball is so ridiculous. This is just further proof this league is broken and will continue to be until they implement a salary cap.

Meh. Let the teams suffer for their own stupidity if they sign bad contracts. As a lifelong Giants fan, I know this pain all too well!

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Agreed. I'd love to see a hard salary cap like the NFL has.

The problem with this is in how each league is set up. They all share the pie in the NFL. 16 games - national TV deals is a lot easier to manage than 162 games and individual market cable deals. The only way I would be in favor of anything like that is if they got rid of 4 or 5 teams. There are a number of teams who have been taking luxury tax money for years and haven't used it to put a better product on the field.

And a salary cap isn't the only solution. And ask about half of the teams in the NBA how the salary cap is helping them out.

The MLB may do better to have some sort of cap on years - these 10 year contracts are ridiculous, but as long as teams are willing to give them out, players will still demand them.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
The problem with this is in how each league is set up. They all share the pie in the NFL. 16 games - national TV deals is a lot easier to manage than 162 games and individual market cable deals. The only way I would be in favor of anything like that is if they got rid of 4 or 5 teams. There are a number of teams who have been taking luxury tax money for years and haven't used it to put a better product on the field.

And a salary cap isn't the only solution. And ask about half of the teams in the NBA how the salary cap is helping them out.

The MLB may do better to have some sort of cap on years - these 10 year contracts are ridiculous, but as long as teams are willing to give them out, players will still demand them.

Agreed. I would be more in favor of a yearly cap than salary cap.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

Because it's a broken system. The luxury tax system is just terrible. How do you take money from some teams and give them to other teams but then not require them to spend it on players?

Look at the NHL. They have a hard salary cap that's set every year depending on how much HRR there is. The formula they use also sets a salary floor, the minimum each team has to spend on the cap to ice their team.

So their salary cap isn't just for the high end, but for the low end too. This year in the NHL, the salary floor is $44 million and the cap is $64.3 million, so teams must spend in that range for their team.

They should do this too. They don't have to pick one or the other. The NHL's new CBA capped extensions at 8 years and new free agent deals at 7 years.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yankees 3 years with Beltran. Napoli back with the Red Sox.

Beltran 3 for $45

Napoli 2 for $32

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Do we see Gardner traded for pitching now? Not much room in the OF anymore.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Gardner in left, ellsbury in center, Beltran in right? Soriano DH.

Need a few infielders and like 3 starting pitchers. :D
Jeter won't play SS all season, and they would want to give Tex and McMann a rest some days.

And does Ichiro become a bench player?

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Jeter won't play SS all season, and they would want to give Tex and McMann a rest some days.

I can see Tex, McCann, Beltran, and Jeter rotating through DH - and McCann can probably play some first if they need to rest him. Johnson will help with some depth, and there's still Eduardo Nunez to play some infield as well. God knows what's going to happen with A-Rod.

Still a lot of holes. I'm still most worried about the pitching, though.

Is Ichiro under contract? I've totally forgotten about him.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I can see Tex, McCann, Beltran, and Jeter rotating through DH - and McCann can probably play some first if they need to rest him. Johnson will help with some depth, and there's still Eduardo Nunez to play some infield as well. God knows what's going to happen with A-Rod.

Still a lot of holes. I'm still most worried about the pitching, though.

Is Ichiro under contract? I've totally forgotten about him.

And don't forget about Vernon Wells. I think he will be the odd man out. At least Ichiro still plays acceptable defense. Wells has nothing going for him.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
If true, wow Cano has an ARod sized ego. Didn't want to play for Girardi because Joe batted him second due to the weakness in the Yankees lineup this year. Way to be a team player there Cano…. Again if this report is true….

According to three people who know Cano, he didn’t enjoy playing for manager Joe Girardi and that may have factored into the decision, though the Mariners giving him $60 million more than the Yankees offered ($175 million) likely had more to do with him leaving.
“Robbie didn’t like batting second, he wanted to bat in the middle of the order,’’ one person said. “The Yankees wanted him second because that was best for the team. He wanted to hit in the middle of the order to drive in runs [to increase his value].’’

Through the middle of June, Cano shuttled between second and third in a lineup that didn’t have Derek Jeter to hit second or Rodriguez in the cleanup spot.
For the season, Cano batted third in 110 games, hitting .319 with 16 homers, 73 RBIs and an OPS of .886. As the No. 2 hitter in 42 games, he hit .308 with 10 homers, 30 RBIs and a .955 OPS.

“He told me he didn’t want to play for [Girardi],’’ a friend of Cano’s said.

http://nypost.com/2013/12/06/robinson-cano-agrees-to-240m-deal-with-mariners-report/

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That's too bad. I would've love to see him get his ring before he retired... but one of his best buddies helped rob him of his best opportunity in 2011.

He looked broken last year. Too many back injuries.

----------

I'd rather have a soft cap with a luxury tax that targets the top 10 salary teams.

No soft caps. There isn't enough money to keep the Yankees from breaking the cap. That's coming from a fan of a (traditionally) spending team (White Sox).

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Masahiro Tanaka, SF Giant?

If we get this guy, who may be out of our price range, he could replace Barry Zito who went 16 in a row in 2012-2013 along with WS Game 1 win to tie MLB starting pitcher record. The guy he tied went 24 but some of those were as relief pitcher and not as a starter and he got at most 16 as a starter, too.

During the same time in 2013, Tanaka went 24-0 in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acu_tWYNNpA

If Bumgarner holds up and pitches well like last year, and Vogelsong gets fully healthy, and Cain and Lincecum get into original form of what they are capable of, then the addition of Tanaka would make us the most dangerous 5 man rotation in baseball for the 2014 year and similar to late 2000s Phillies. Assuming we don't have major injuries to our hitters like in 2013, then we will be headed to playoffs. I am usually not that sure with Giants, Niners, Raiders, Sharks, or Warriors, but Tanaka would be our gemstone.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I have seen nothing at all linking Tanaka with the Giants, and you do neglect the fact that the Giants signed Tim Hudson this offseason. I assume Yusmeiro Petit will be back as well, competing with Vogelsong for that #5 spot.

The Michael Morse signing is a nice calculated risk. Can't expect him to post a .910 OPS like he did in 2011, but getting some pop out of left field will be welcomed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.