Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barachus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
anyone else feels the screen seems a bit cheap and plasticky?
it has an annoying cheap plastic tapping sound whenever you tap on it, it doesnt feel quite as solid and premium as my ipad 3

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
They probably used a lighter glass. The mini has always felt like that compared to the regular ipad.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
People said the same about the mini.

They are probably using thinner glass on the mini and air.

barachus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
People said the same about the mini.

They are probably using thinner glass on the mini and air.

ok that probably explains it, i never had the mini so i didnt realised the issue had been raised before
coming from an ipad 3 it will take some getting used to the feeling, its a bit irritating right now

----------

i have both sitting in front of me and the air screen is just as good as the 3.

if the issue was reported on the ipad mini, then it most likely exists
try tapping them and not just looking at them?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have a Mini. Describing this screen as cheap feeling is in no way proper with regards from what I'm use to with the Mini.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I came from iPad 3 and thought the same at first but now getting used to it. I think it is all part of making the iPad thinner and lighter.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I have a Mini. Describing this screen as cheap feeling is in no way proper with regards from what I'm use to with the Mini.

The mini definitely has a plastic like sound to the screen when tapped.

Whether that can be described as cheap... I guess that is each users own preference.

I personally don't mind it. Especially if it meant the difference between a heavy mini or a light mini.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
This is the first thing I noticed, it does feel "cheap". I am coming from a mini which was not like this at all.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I haven't opened my box yet but it sounds like the same process used in the Mini.. it's how they were able to lighten up the unit and keep it thin I am sure.. I noticed it too but after a while you don't notice it.. The screen is still extremely responsive like any other iPad.. just has a tiny bit more flex in the glass over the LCD.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Are you serious? how is the Air compared to the mini?

I haven't opened my box yet but it sounds like the same process used in the Mini.. it's how they were able to lighten up the unit and keep it thin I am sure.. I noticed it too but after a while you don't notice it.. The screen is still extremely responsive like any other iPad.. just has a tiny bit more flex in the glass over the LCD.

It's probably the same issue, but with the smaller screen you certainly don't notice it as much. I do think after using it I'll be fine with it.

I like the air, it's nice and thin and light. But noticeably heavier still, but not bad. I pictured thinner edges, I'm not sure what I thought, but I was hoping they would be narrower than they are. I will have to use it more to decide if it's the right choice, or if I'll be getting a mini 2.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I imagine we'll also be getting the same reflectivity/gamut report we got for the mini last year. I'm guessing overall, the ipad 3/4 screen will have had better color density and saturation, using double glass vs plastic/glass like the mini/air.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
anyone else feels the screen seems a bit cheap and plasticky?
it has an annoying cheap plastic tapping sound whenever you tap on it, it doesnt feel quite as solid and premium as my ipad 3

It is the price we pay for demanding that Apple deliver thinner and lighter products.

You better not sit on the Air as I bet it will bend just like the 5 and 5S. I bet with in the week we will have our first bent Air.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This is the first thing I noticed, it does feel "cheap". I am coming from a mini which was not like this at all.

Are you serious? how is the Air compared to the mini?

I get the same feeling as well. There's a 'hollow' kind of feeling to the device.

Coming from a 3rd gen and a mini, it feels like a weird mix. The 3rd gen and mini both felt solid in their own designs. The Air feels a bit funny.

Honestly disappointing to see the screen still isn't laminated to the glass like iPhones have been for years now.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
I immediately noticed it too (before seeing this thread). Going back and forth between the Air and my 3rd gen has a very different feel. Interesting that none of the reviewers mentioned this...

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Got mine out.. it's exactly a larger Mini.. better sounding speakers, amazing screen.. holding it up with one arm and using the other to type and peck and do things, my arm holding it up is getting tired fast.. I may have to switch to the Mini Retina :/

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Got mine out.. it's exactly a larger Mini.. better sounding speakers, amazing screen.. holding it up with one arm and using the other to type and peck and do things, my arm holding it up is getting tired fast.. I may have to switch to the Mini Retina :/

Try exercise or just man up.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I immediately noticed it too (before seeing this thread). Going back and forth between the Air and my 3rd gen has a very different feel. Interesting that none of the reviewers mentioned this...

Is it bad or just different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.