Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPad Air glass does feel kinda plasticky to me but I like it. Feels like my fingertips can glide better on the Air. :rolleyes:

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
I store/charge my iPad Air on a stand at right side of my iMac that has a window that is partially reflected in the iPad screen. This is where the previous generation iPads sat as well. The Air is the first one that I see the glass deflect in the window's reflection when touched. It surprised me at first touch but the screen is responsive and it isn't a concern for me.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Having used my Air for a few weeks now I'm no longer neutral on the screen feel... I positively love it! I've come to notice that the flex of the glass makes typing feel more natural because the fingers bounce off the surface. With previous iPads with harder glass caused energy of finger taps to be immediately dampened by the glass resulting in an unnatural "thud" feeling.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
This is probably one of the more ridiculous threads I've seen. Especially for people returning based on the "feel" of the glass. lol.

If there was some problem with touch response/accuracy, I would be right there with you. Hell, I am pretty vocal about the dark shadow/yellow tint issues on the screens. Those actually affect usage. But a screen that "feels" different? Wow.

This.

I had the 4th gen ipad and was nervous about the Air because of these silly posts.

It's fine.

R

hdjason

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
As others have said, it feels cheaper, though I wouldn't say bad. There's just a slightly louder hollow sound when tapping or typing as compared to a muted tap on the 3rd gen iPad and my Galaxy S3.

It's not just the feeling or sound as well. If I press down on two sides of my air, I actually hear air escaping. It actually makes an air whooshing sound that maybe an app developer will utilize to turn the Air into a wind instrument.
Definitely feels cheap to me compared to the iPad 3. But what can you do, it's the lightest and thinnest tablet and I guess comes at the price of having a solid feeling screen.
This could be a first gen thing that is "fixed" by the next Air.

----------

Having used my Air for a few weeks now I'm no longer neutral on the screen feel... I positively love it! I've come to notice that the flex of the glass makes typing feel more natural because the fingers bounce off the surface. With previous iPads with harder glass caused energy of finger taps to be immediately dampened by the glass resulting in an unnatural "thud" feeling.

This is a very good point that is making me feel much better about it.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
There's something in the Air... lots of AIR! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X86-s4enSLs

Whoah! Super thin glass tablet cracks when dropped on a rocky surface! Color me shocked.

As far as the cheaper feeling screen, it does feel a tad hollow but it comes with the territory of being so light. Think of it like moving from a 1980's Buick to a 2014 Corvette and nitpicking about the body panels feeling more plasticky :)

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Whoah! Super thin glass tablet cracks when dropped on a rocky surface! Color me shocked.

As far as the cheaper feeling screen, it does feel a tad hollow but it comes with the territory of being so light. Think of it like moving from a 1980's Buick to a 2014 Corvette and nitpicking about the body panels feeling more plasticky :)

Sure, drop test is an extreme. But designing a tablet in such a way that super thin glass has no structural support in hollow areas is super lame. A premium $500+ tablet having the traits of a cheap $50 Chinese knockoff?

The Mini, on the other hand, feels rock solid. No air squishing out.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Sure, drop test is an extreme. But designing a tablet in such a way that super thin glass has no structural support in hollow areas is super lame. A premium $500+ tablet having the traits of a cheap $50 Chinese knockoff?

The Mini, on the other hand, feels rock solid. No air squishing out.

A larger surface area of glass with the Air would make it more susceptible to cracking compared to a smaller device such as a rMini or iPhone.

I don't see how this is a concern unless you take your tablet hiking??? Phones require more stringent drop tests than tablets. The usage traits of tablets make them less prone to being dropped.

As far as air squishing out of the display, not sure where that came from. If anything, the rMini has more traits of a cheap $50 Chinese knockoff with that crappy display and washed out colors. :rolleyes:

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Actually, looking at the teardowns of the Air (with LTE)
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/qrRuRR6nQ2OlPYOO
and rMini (WiFi)
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/4inuvDgn2lgWyltm

- it looks like large hollow areas on top are in WiFi models only; in cellular models, they're filled by cellular module.

So both WiFi Air and Mini have just thin glass hanging literally in the air (although on the Mini these areas are smaller than on the Air). Lame, Apple! It looks like even dropping keys or a heavy pen on this spot could easily crack the glass.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
After using my Air since release my wifes iPad 4 feels too hard. Glad i got a LTE model.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I definitely had the same feeling with the Retina mini. I love that it's so thin and light, but it also feels hollow.

I think Apple really need to use a laminated display with the next revision of iPads, because that should take care of this problem, and the screens will look a lot better.

Perhaps it's because they're using thinner glass now, but the gap between the display and the glass seemed more noticeable than ever with the Retina mini.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

I'm starting to feel the same way. The first few times I typed I did find it a little plasticky feeling. But now I find it quite pleasing. The glass is thinner and so is the overall device which explains the different feeling. Just gotta get used to it.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Feels cheap, looks like a millions dollars

Of course I also have noticed the different sound and feel of the thinner screen and have got used to it. As long as the screen continues to look as good as it does and perform well the thin screen isn't an issue to me.

Why are people pushing down on the screens enough to hear a whoosh? I'm afraid I'd hear a whoosh followed by a crack! I also don't feel iPads are indestructible either and that some care needs to be followed.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
just different...IGZO...you will get used to it

IGZO has zero to do with anything even remotely related to this thread.

Just remember folks, when the iPad 1 came out, it was thin and light and a joy to use. A miracle! Then, when the iPad 2 came out, people said it felt like a toy compared to the iPad 1. When the 3 came out, people said it was too heavy. The iPad 1 felt like a brick by comparison. Now it's the Air, the lightest iPad ever, and people are complaining it's too light, and the super thin glass is too thin. Well, this is what you get when you demand ever lighter and thinner devices.

Last edited:

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Honestly... It feels like glass to me. The first gen Mini felt terrible to me, but I love the feel of the iPad Air. Maybe I got lucky with a better screen? Not sure. Feels NOTHING like the garbage on the first gen Mini.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
There is absolutely a plastic feel to the iPad Air versus my old iPad 3, but it not bothersome whatsoever. The Air is so extraordinarily light and still feels solid. To those who equate plastic with cheap, you need not worry.

pagemaster

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
anyone else feels the screen seems a bit cheap and plasticky?
it has an annoying cheap plastic tapping sound whenever you tap on it, it doesnt feel quite as solid and premium as my ipad 3

The moment I first touched the iPad Air it felt cheap to me.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I am not one to put a case on my electronic devices. But the feel of this screen made me get the Apple Smart Case out of fear that the screen would crack if I put it in my laptop bag or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.