Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 7, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
nitromac
macrumors regular

Touch ID sometimes refuses to work/respond

I've had my 5S since mid/early october whenever it came out. Been totally happy with it so far but lately (in the past 2 days) TouchID suddenly stops responding. As in when I press the home/lock button and rest my finger on the sensor, it doesn't do anything, and eventually after a few seconds displays "slide to unlock". It's like the capacitive ring isn't even recognizing that my finger is there because there is no indication that it is scanning/trying to scan my finger.

Restarting the phone fixes this but I was wondering if anyone's had a similar problem? I'm hoping it'll go away soon.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Leet Apple
macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same problem
Old Nov 7, 2013, 08:42 PM   #3
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Every once in awhile I have this problem. I end up cleaning the sensor off with a little rubbing alcohol. Fixes it. Eventually that button gets covered in oils from your finger. Also, when you press home button, don't lift finger off button and touch button again to unlock. Just keep finger on button until it unlocks. I see people pushing home button, so the screen comes on, lift finger and then touch sensor again to unlock.

Last edited by wxman2003; Nov 7, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 08:45 PM   #4
0r30
macrumors 6502

I have been having trouble as well. I re registered and the problem is still persisting. Im disappointed.
Iphone 6 Plus 128gb
0r30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:55 PM   #5
sclawis300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Every once in awhile I have this problem. I end up cleaning the sensor off with a little rubbing alcohol. Fixes it. Eventually that button gets covered in oils from your finger. Also, when you press home button, don't lift finger off button and touch button again to unlock. Just keep finger on button until it unlocks. I see people pushing home button, so the screen comes on, lift finger and then touch sensor again to unlock.
it is not a problem with getting an error for not recognizing the fingerprint. It is a problem where the phone doesn't even know there is a finger on the sensor.

I have a two page thread and someone posted a video of what happens.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

btw i just realised that when the iPhone is on charge the TOUCH ID doesn't work. it just doesn't respond. can anyone confirm this?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:36 PM   #7
YodasMaster
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuGeN PoWeR View Post
btw i just realised that when the iPhone is on charge the TOUCH ID doesn't work. it just doesn't respond. can anyone confirm this?
Works fine for me while charging.
YodasMaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:58 PM   #8
alphaod
macrumors Core

Make sure you fingertips are clean and properly moisturized

I have this issue especially in the winter months when it's drier.

My solution is to lick my finger if it's clean enough.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasMaster View Post
Works fine for me while charging.
mine doesn't do anything. and if i plug out the charger it works fine.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 04:26 AM   #10
yogeewan
macrumors member

Check your power port

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuGeN PoWeR View Post
mine doesn't do anything. and if i plug out the charger it works fine.
Check the power through a voltmeter in your power socket. I had an issue with the screen freezing in a train charger. turns out the the power through the socket was incompatible with my phone for some reason.
yogeewan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 04:40 AM   #11
eattherich
macrumors 6502

I was so impressed with it for the first week. I was using my 5s all the time and it worked almost every time. That said, yesterday, it just wasn't happy about something. "Try again" almost every time. I have 4 fingers registered and it was the same for them all. I ended up rebooting the phone and it seemed to sort it out. It's hard to say what the problem was but as of today it's gone so I'm happy again. I'll keep an eye on this.
eattherich is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 08:04 AM   #12
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

I have had times when it says try again. and I do a few more times. I just keep trying until it works.

Most of the time it is daily quick. Oddly enough I tried some 180 degree attempts and it "seemed faster"

Liking it so far, especially with purchases and since with work i need a passcode.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 08:34 AM   #13
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeewan View Post
Check the power through a voltmeter in your power socket. I had an issue with the screen freezing in a train charger. turns out the the power through the socket was incompatible with my phone for some reason.
okiie dokie i will check. thanks for the info.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:53 PM   #14
ylmzonr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromac View Post
I've had my 5S since mid/early october whenever it came out. Been totally happy with it so far but lately (in the past 2 days) TouchID suddenly stops responding. As in when I press the home/lock button and rest my finger on the sensor, it doesn't do anything, and eventually after a few seconds displays "slide to unlock". It's like the capacitive ring isn't even recognizing that my finger is there because there is no indication that it is scanning/trying to scan my finger.

Restarting the phone fixes this but I was wondering if anyone's had a similar problem? I'm hoping it'll go away soon.
Same here. Hope this is a software issue and fixed soon.
ylmzonr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

I had this once a week or so ago and then again twice tonight within about an hour. Phone behaves normally and then suddenly refuses to recognise TouchID.

Before anyone says I'm doing something wrong, my finger was dry and clean in all cases and, in any case, its not even registering the finger (or thumb) to say 'try again", its just saying slide to unlock (which doesn't normally appear when Touch ID is enabled). Pressing the power/wake button has no impact either.

----------

Quote:

Given that the phone doesn't normally display "slide to unlock" when TouchID is enabled, I think the phone is not even registering that TouchID is active when this happens. I'm hoping this is a software issue that can easily be fixed.

EDIT - ah no, I see now that "slide to unlock" does appear after a second or two if TouchID isn't successful straight away.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 01:57 PM   #16
KdParker
macrumors 68030

works fine for me if I keep my thumb down on the sensor
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 03:35 PM   #17
hifoo45
macrumors member

Same problem here… Worked great for the first few weeks. Now there are times where I press and hold as normal and it doesn't even indicate that it is reading anything. I get no jiggle "try again" or anything. It just sits there doing nothing. Hopefully this is a software issue and not hardware.

7.0.3 btw.

EDIT: I should point out that this isn't every time, but occasionally. When it does happen it doesn't matter how many times I try I can not get in unless I use my passcode. After I get in, the touch ID works again as normal until the problem shows up again. It's very odd.

Last edited by hifoo45; Nov 8, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
hifoo45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:21 PM   #18
sclawis300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifoo45 View Post
Same problem here… Worked great for the first few weeks. Now there are times where I press and hold as normal and it doesn't even indicate that it is reading anything. I get no jiggle "try again" or anything. It just sits there doing nothing. Hopefully this is a software issue and not hardware.

7.0.3 btw.

EDIT: I should point out that this isn't every time, but occasionally. When it does happen it doesn't matter how many times I try I can not get in unless I use my passcode. After I get in, the touch ID works again as normal until the problem shows up again. It's very odd.
Do you use the twitter app? My thread on this had a poster that indicated he had success replicating the issue when using twitter.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:32 PM   #19
yungskeeme
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifoo45 View Post

7.0.3 btw.

same exact problem for me. Fine before 7.0.3
yungskeeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:40 PM   #20
McRumour
macrumors member

...an ongoing problem for me - from the beginning.
It's a rare exception when it does work.
I'm afraid I'm going to "wear out" the home button (can that happen?) - as well as my own patience. I'm
McRumour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:42 PM   #21
Kiloa
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Same problem here! When apple it's going to fix this??
Kiloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2013, 01:43 PM   #22
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

I haven't had this issue, but I have had it fail over and over when I try to use it at the gym. It's really annoying.
gentlefury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2013, 03:33 PM   #23
socbrian
macrumors regular

This is being talk about in this thread too - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1666120

Seems like twitter might be the culprit.
socbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:26 PM   #24
bushman4
macrumors 65816

There are 4 threads and no answers

The one certainty is that it is a problem but seems to be limited as the total number of posts isn't in the hundreds
bushman4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by socbrian View Post
This is being talk about in this thread too - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1666120

Seems like twitter might be the culprit.
Hmm, no twitter on my iphone and my fp sensor is a POS.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone