Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Hey all,

Just got my new maxed out 15 retina macbook pro and the display looks like this.

It is extremely blotchy and yellow with a very white spotlight coming from the bottom middle which makes the yellow look even worse. Is this common on these machines? I got it through my job so now it is going to be a pain to get it fixed or replaced. I am about an our from the apple store. I haven't noticed any bleeding on black backgrounds so I don't know what the root of this problem could be. I was hoping it was glue that needed to dry, but I don't think that is the problem.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Hey all,

Just got my new maxed out 15 retina macbook pro and the display looks like this.
[url=http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/dreadedhero/IMG_0282.jpg]Image[/URL]

It is extremely blotchy and yellow with a very white spotlight coming from the bottom middle which makes the yellow look even worse. Is this common on these machines? I got it through my job so now it is going to be a pain to get it fixed or replaced. I am about an our from the apple store. I haven't noticed any bleeding on black backgrounds so I don't know what the root of this problem could be. I was hoping it was glue that needed to dry, but I don't think that is the problem.

Swap it out, that's terrible. Call a few Apple Stores and see if they'll do (assuming this is a BTO with the 2.6 and maybe 1TB?) an in-store replacement or if they'll have to ship it out. Sometimes the stores stock max-BTO configurations.

commac

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
Hard to tell from a pic but if your not happy an hour or 2 of your time definitely sounds worth the trip to the apple store.

At $3000 you better be happy with the machine. Don't be shy about returns or exchanges. Apple staff seem to even encourage it... at least where I've been.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Yeah its the 1tb and 2.6. The quality of the screen is very disappointing. It was far worse before I calibrated but I can't get rid of all the yellow and the spotlighting obviously can't be addressed with a calibration.

By the way it is an LG display LP154WT1-SJE1

----------

Can they swap out a BTO machine. If it were only 2 hours I'd be fine with it, but I don't want to have to drive back to pick it up. I would just send it back if I paid for it out of my personal account. I contacted our IT department to see what they suggest.

Anyone know if my time machine backup will restore my bootcamp partition?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Yeah its the 1tb and 2.6. The quality of the screen is very disappointing. It was far worse before I calibrated but I can't get rid of all the yellow and the spotlighting obviously can't be addressed with a calibration.

By the way it is an LG display LP154WT1-SJE1

----------

Can they swap out a BTO machine. If it were only 2 hours I'd be fine with it, but I don't want to have to drive back to pick it up. I would just send it back if I paid for it out of my personal account. I contacted our IT department to see what they suggest.

Anyone know if my time machine backup will restore my bootcamp partition?

It's an LG display - dump it at all costs. These are the same panels that suffer from image retention. They can swap BTO machines but not always, that's why I suggest calling stores, explaining your situation and seeing if they've got your configuration in stock. They're known to carry each preconfigured tier and then also a couple all-options-ticked models because enough people must come through and want to check all the boxes and walk out with a computer.

edit: i'm not sure if they also do actual display swaps on existing models, it may be worth it if you're already invested in a successful bootcamp partition and stuff (I'm unsure about the Time Machine question), although the flip side is do you want a brand new computer that's been torn apart?

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
What's the terminal command to check display manufacturer ?

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

----------

I will see what my IT department says and if they can't help I will call apple. There is a local 3rd party reseller in town. Can they repair these?

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Well this doesn't sound promising. The tint doesn't bother me its the white spotlighting that is annoying.

Yea, check out that other thread. I personally had to go through 3 replacements until I got a good one from Apple. CRAZY! All I can say is replace, replace, replace. Eventually you'll get a good one.

chrysek

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

----------

I will see what my IT department says and if they can't help I will call apple. There is a local 3rd party reseller in town. Can they repair these?

That is cool, do you know if I can check on more information on the display etc? I did go to apple store and I did see in about mac display resolution as 2880x1900 but MacBook Pro 13 inch only supports 2560x1600. So I wanted to run similar command on it to check the supported display or why its displaying that 2880x1900 resolution on MacBook Pro 13inch. So strange. that command is awesome.

Regards,

Chris

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I feel lucky to have received a perfect 15" rMBP (2.3 i7/16GB/512GB SSD). Hope you get yours sorted, after all you've paid a lot for it so should expect a top notch computer.

dramber

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2013
If they trip to the store is to long, how about calling the support so they can pick up your mac?

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
There is a apparently a third party repair shop in town that can do warranty work so I will check with them and see what they can do.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Talked to the shop in town and they can replace the display and even mentioned that this is common with LG displays. The turn around is 3-5 days and they assured me that they would test the new display and replace it again if necessary. It will suck going back to my macbook air now, but at least I will get a good display.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Just an update here. I have been waiting to get my computer back for five days. The display is backordered and Apple has no idea when it will be available (how is this possible?). According to the tech support woman, Apple is producing a modified screen to address all the problems. I think this was BS because she had no idea what was going on. After talking to two other people they agreed to do a capture and replace my machine with a new one. They said because it is a new machine the engineers are interested in examining the defects. If the next one is bad I am giving up and buying something else.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Just an update here. I have been waiting to get my computer back for five days. The display is backordered and Apple has no idea when it will be available (how is this possible?). According to the tech support woman, Apple is producing a modified screen to address all the problems. I think this was BS because she had no idea what was going on. After talking to two other people they agreed to do a capture and replace my machine with a new one. They said because it is a new machine the engineers are interested in examining the defects. If the next one is bad I am giving up and buying something else.

Why in the hell would you repair a $3k machine that is within the return window? I would've taken that straight back to Apple and ordered another one, and I doubt there is anyone here who would've done the same.

Why settle for a repair on something that's within the return window??

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
It was purchased through my job so returning is a big pain in the ass. They also set it up for me with a boot camp partition and I did not want to go through the entire set up again. This is turning out to be a big nightmare. I am really down on apple lately. First it takes a month for my iPhone to come in, then my computer has a horrible display and is impossible to get repaired, and now I don't even want the iPad mini I ordered after seeing its dull display at best buy today. It really is horrible.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I feel for you man, but yeah Apple is having a REALLY bad run right now.

Retina display issues on LG and Samsung
Touchpad issues @ launch on the 13in (though alter fixed)
Really bad iPhone delays
The Mini has REALLY bad retina color and burn-in in issues
15in MacBooks that have a lot of creaking in their body

WTF is up with Apple and quality right now?

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
It was purchased through my job so returning is a big pain in the ass. They also set it up for me with a boot camp partition and I did not want to go through the entire set up again. This is turning out to be a big nightmare. I am really down on apple lately. First it takes a month for my iPhone to come in, then my computer has a horrible display and is impossible to get repaired, and now I don't even want the iPad mini I ordered after seeing its dull display at best buy today. It really is horrible.

IMO, you need to return the computer. Who cares if returning it is going to be a pain in the ass.
Do you really want to be stuck with a computer for 2-5 years, that you paid $2k for, and aren't 100% happy with?

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
Impossible for us to tell whether or not the screen is faulty from that terrible smartphone picture.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Impossible for us to tell whether or not the screen is faulty from that terrible smartphone picture.

Thanks for your useful input. I will break out the D7100 next time.

Just a quick update. This keeps getting worse.

The guy from apple that I spoke with last night called today after I already picked up my computer from the repair shop in anticipation of sending it to apple for replacement. He claims the new screen shipped today and wants me to bring the Mac back in for repair. I reminded him that he told me to pick up the computer last night and he didn't seem to care that I already went through this process, nor can he even confirm the part was actually shipped. My support ticket was already cancelled and the repair company says they have no indication that a part is on the way. So now I have my faulty macbook pro and have no idea what to do.

I asked him directly for compensation from apple and he was dismissive so tomorrow when my screen does not arrive I am going to bitch until I get to someone that can help me get this resolved and compensate me for all of my trouble.

This is the worst customer service I have ever received from Apple.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Don't get the hate for the lg screens. My late 2013 retina is perfect, with a LG screen. Calibrating it with my spectrometer showed that it's colors were very good - straight from the factory.

Also, I tried the image retention test. No issue.

Did I just luck out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.