Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hi, just received today my new 13" max out 2.8/16/1TB rMBP ($2400 shipped, bought in Ebay, sealed, 1 cycle on battery) and the colors of the screen are a lot more vivid than the ones of my 2012 2.9/8/768 13" rMBP (on the left is the 2012, on the right the 2013)

photo%25281%2529.JPG

photo%25282%2529.JPG

Could this be a result of factory settings or is the new screens a lot better? Both are shown at full brightness and using factory settings. Just in case, the screen on my 2012 is A013 while the one on the 2013 is A018

By the way, the Speck SeeThru Case from the 2012 worked well on the 2013 (thought the bottom side would be very loose due to the slimmer body, but it was not)

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Several people have said on here that the screens in the Haswell rMBP are brighter. Probably a combination of both. In any case, I welcome a brighter screen.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I just received a 13" 2.4/8GB/256GB today and the screen is definitely brighter than my friend's last-gen 13" retina.

After reading all the horror stories here about uneven backlighting, image retention, yellow screens, etc., I was prepared for the worst. My display is actually flawless - I ran all the tests and don't have any of the aforementioned issues. My screen is fantastic!

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I just received a 13" 2.4/8GB/256GB today and the screen is definitely brighter than my friend's last-gen 13" retina.

Ditto,

My friends first gen looks super washed out compared to mines, and she RARELY uses her laptop.. maybe 5 hours a week. (thought it might be because she left it on 24/7)

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Sorry if this is a totally uninformed comment, but my impression is that it is Mavericks that introduced a more vibrant colour set.

Both machines are running Mavericks, so that should not be the reason unless the Mavericks settings for the old and new rMBP are different.

Something strange happened with its battery cycles behavior. It came with 1 cycle, as expected; I left it on overnight without charging and just checked at it had 93% of battery left and 2 cycles! Why would it cycle if the battery level never got depleted? Is this normal?

Last edited:

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Both machines are running Mavericks, so that should not be the reason unless the Mavericks settings for the old and new rMBP are different.

Something strange happened with its battery cycles behavior. It came with 1 cycle, as expected; I left it on overnight without charging and just checked at it had 93% of battery left and 2 cycles! Why would it cycle if the battery level never got depleted? Is this normal?

Let's say the battery provides one ampere (not sure of the MBP's actual power draw so this is a nice easy number to work with). It runs for seven hours, and a coulomb is one amp * sec so at full charge the capacity is 25,200 coulombs. You could also express this as 7 amp hours.

You use 80% of the battery. You have 5,040 coulumbs left in the battery. You charge it to full, use another 20% (or 5040 c) then charge it up again. You have used one full charge cycle as calculated by the battery.

If anyone who has taken physics more recently cares to correct me, feel free, but this is my understanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.