Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Hey guys so it seems like most people here get the 32 GB and up versions of the ipad. I've always been a 16GB person and it's worked for me pretty well. Im curious as to how some of you fill up all that space.

I don't have an ipad just yet but I'll start off the sharing with my iphone. Deleted my entire music library a few days ago as I got spotify, and now have a bunch of empty space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 157

iOS GTR

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
KL, Malaysia
There are many HD games & apps where u can play in an iPad which required much more spaces so 16GB for me is definitely not enough.

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
Just checked my iPhone storage and just under 30GB at the moment. Because of Retina screens iPad/iPhone apps have grown greatly in size. Therefore I find that if I don't want to be spending half my time balancing the contents of my devices I buy larger storage devices.

On my new Retina iPad I have only synched around 80 of my most used apps and already I am at 36GB used up. That doesn't include any music, videos, photos or books (some of my multimedia books are a few GB in size). My apps include games, flying, office, navigation, photography, videography, music, eduction, medical, autism, sign language and medical. I also evaluate apps for my school so tend to have a few different variations on to compare at any one time.

I have loads of video clips to add to the iPad rMini once I sort them using iFlicks and the same with books and a host of PDF files, which I will sort out with the new Mac iBooks app.

Obviously everybody has different needs but we certainly find it extremely challenging to manage our 16Gb iPads in school. They are only non retina iPad 2s but the apps are still retina playable so larger than we actually need. We are forever having to make choices between really good content. Managing it is crazy when you are near the limit as you can't synch if you have not got enough free space, even though you appear to have room.

My advice to any would be buyer is to think very carefully about what you want to use your iPad for before deciding on a storage size.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 155

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Hey guys so it seems like most people here get the 32 GB and up versions of the ipad. I've always been a 16GB person and it's worked for me pretty well. Im curious as to how some of you fill up all that space.

I don't have an ipad just yet but I'll start off the sharing with my iphone. Deleted my entire music library a few days ago as I got spotify, and now have a bunch of empty space.

Charge your phone

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Just checked my iPhone storage and just under 30GB at the moment. Because of Retina screens iPad/iPhone apps have grown greatly in size. Therefore I find that if I don't want to be spending half my time balancing the contents of my devices I buy larger storage devices.

On my new Retina iPad I have only synched around 80 of my most used apps and already I am at 36GB used up. That doesn't include any music, videos, photos or books (some of my multimedia books are a few GB in size). My apps include games, flying, office, navigation, photography, videography, music, eduction, medical, autism, sign language and medical. I also evaluate apps for my school so tend to have a few different variations on to compare at any one time.

I have loads of video clips to add to the iPad rMini once I sort them using iFlicks and the same with books and a host of PDF files, which I will sort out with the new Mac iBooks app.

Obviously everybody has different needs but we certainly find it extremely challenging to manage our 16Gb iPads in school. They are only non retina iPad 2s but the apps are still retina playable so larger than we actually need. We are forever having to make choices between really good content. Managing it is crazy when you are near the limit as you can't synch if you have not got enough free space, even though you appear to have room.

My advice to any would be buyer is to think very carefully about what you want to use your iPad for before deciding on a storage size.

Looks like games fill it up really quickly... Are most big name games 1gb+?

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
I use GoodReader for storing video files for watching. Getting files into it is so easy (built in web, AFP, SFTP, SMB and more clients plus a WebDAV server) it probably ranks as one of my most useful third party apps (alongside 1Password Pro).

A

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 122

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York

Seeing your 4GB free makes me feel claustrophobic, I have a 32GB iPhone and 32GB iPad, that works for me, over the summer I had to clear out a bunch of photos and prioritize what music I wanted available locally on the iPhone.

I don't store as much media on the iPad and so far 32GB has worked for me quite well. Though my next phone will probably be 64GB.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I use GoodReader for storing video files for watching. Getting files into it is so easy (built in web, AFP, SFTP, SMB and more clients plus a WebDAV server) it probably ranks as one of my most useful third party apps (alongside 1Password Pro).

A

What is better about GoodReader over something like AVPlayer HD?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's mine, since I just got it and I'm setting it up as new, I only have a few apps on it for now.
photo.png

I also downloaded iMovie and Keynote but I have no use for them, so I'll probably delete them as I have little need.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
What is better about GoodReader over something like AVPlayer HD?
AVPlayer HD looks interesting, I might have to give it a spin. A drawback of GoodReader (compared to AVPlayer HD) is that GoodReader only supports native video playback, so you have to hand off other filetypes (mkv, avi, wmv etc) to something else (e.g. VLC) or transcode before transfer (my usual route). AVPlayer HD might be a handy video playback tool. Thanks for the tip.

A

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
AVPlayer HD looks interesting, I might have to give it a spin. A drawback of GoodReader (compared to AVPlayer HD) is that GoodReader only supports native video playback, so you have to hand off other filetypes (mkv, avi, wmv etc) to something else (e.g. VLC) or transcode before transfer (my usual route). AVPlayer HD might be a handy video playback tool. Thanks for the tip.

A

MP4 files are decoded by hardware while any other format is decoded by software. Any concerns on battery life?

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
MP4 files are decoded by hardware while any other format is decoded by software. Any concerns on battery life?
I find my Mini had excellent battery life (normal web/email/reading usage with a small amount of video lasted me two days) and my rMini is shaping up to be as good if not better. Not sure what impact software decoding of non-MP4 files would have but to be honest I don't really have any concerns over the occasional video file which requires software decoding.

A

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I've just sold my 32GB iPad. Planning on buying a 16GB iPad or Mini. Reason? Because the only thing that took up space was movies and once I'd watched them I never watched them again. I don't travel with it, I hate playing games on it because I have a PS3 and soon to have PS4, and don't keep music on it because it never leaves the house. My iPhone and Macbook Air keep all my important stuff.

I actually love gaming but can never ever get into iPad games, mainly down to the lack of quality controls compared to using a PS3 controller.

kap09

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
I considered moving up to the 64 this time but most of the big stuff ends up being interchangeable or deleted often. My podcast subscriptions cycle through and delete old episodes and movies are easy enough to swap out when I need to. Only play a game or two at a time so it wasn't much of an issue.

For everything else I've got over 55gb of Dropbox to help.
rebavygu.jpg

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland

How do you have 700MB in iMessage usage? :eek:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
How do you have 700MB in iMessage usage? :eek:

He has the bug where iMessages don't get deleted through a faulty backup. Usually you can delete all conversations and it will go to zero but if it doesn't you will have to resort other means found on the forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
This is my ipad, going to delete some of these games as I don't even play them anymore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.