Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
United States
The rMini blows the Mini away, hands down.

Speed: Awesome. I can load MacRumors in not even 2 seconds. Of course if you're visiting a website that's server is based of an 1998 connection, it won't do well with that.

Display: What many have been waiting for. I can say the display definitely lives up to expectations. I compare it to my Mini, and that just looks, well, blurred.

Thickness and Heaviness: Thickness remains the same as the old Mini, but at first hold, it feels SLIGHTLY heavier. Once you use it for a few hours you won't even notice the difference.

Color Gamut (Gasp!): I'm not an OCD-freak, so the "lesser" RGB does not bug me. I honestly think it looks more natural.

But hey, opinions don't exist on the Internet, right?

- We got Retina display
- We were surprised by same specs as the Air

What are we still missing?

Is it the price range? Are people still going out and buying iPad's when they don't have the money to?

Is it the color gamut? Were you surprised at having the screen calibrated the same way as it's predecessor?

If you want the Air go for the Air. Nobody is stopping you.
If you want to switch to a bar of soap (you know what I mean) go for the bar of soap.

I love my rMini, and don't see why others don't either.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
No one's bashing the mini.

Those who are expressing their opinions and experiences, do so for a reason.

Most know they must brace for the likelihood of being attacked by the Apple apologist, excuse makers. Therefore some just read the entries and avoid the agitation posting can cause. Finger pointing is very popular in AppleLand.

Knowing Apple monitors the blogosphere, I'd rather post for Apples benefit. They may be greedy and stubborn, yet I'm certain some info gets noticed.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
It's the color gamut damut. LOL. I love my rMini and I simply ignore all the hyperbole. I am happy with it that is all that matters PERIOD!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
All well and good for you but no need to be arrogant and condescending about it.

Color Gamut (Gasp!): I'm not an OCD-freak

Are people still going out and buying iPad's when they don't have the money to?

wow...really?

But hey, opinions don't exist on the Internet, right?

I love my rMini, and don't see why others don't either

Oh the irony, so the opinion only exists if it aligns with yours right?

You're not helping, you're part of the problem.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
People bash it because they don't like it, or don't like a specific short coming (perceived or real).

Personally, I don't care what people say, its a good tablet for me, though I'll have to wait until the retina flavor arrives at my door stop hopefully today.

Maybe I'll be complaining if its not what I expect but we'll see :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Bottom line: some people are never satisfied & look for tiny flaws if major ones don't exist. The Mona Lisa is not perfectly symmetrical!

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
For some, the color gamut is the end all be all spec. Personally, if it's not right up against another tablet with superb gamut, I'd never be able to tell the difference. I"m sure I'm not alone.

Now constant crashing and tab refreshing every second, that's what I would consider a bigger problem.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
No, some are just too busy bashing people who hold a different opinion.

If you are not seeing rMini bashing then you must not be reading correctly. Having an opinion is one thing. Saying the rMini is crippled, gimped, poor quality, etc. because it doesn't support 100% gamut is bashing.

If someone refers to people as Apple apologists, defending the iPad, etc. for expressing their opnions, THAT is people bashing.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Some people have a strong need to justify their purchase of the Air (or justify their waiting for mini 3), so they bash the mini 2. This counts for no less than 80 percent of the activities referred to as "rMini-bashing".

Others have a major urge to justify buying both devices. Talk about having buyer's remorse.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It was the 1st gen Mini versus the larger IPads last year.

Guess what will happen next year for one reason or another.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
United States
All well and good for you but no need to be arrogant and condescending about it.

wow...really?

Oh the irony, so the opinion only exists if it aligns with yours right?

You're not helping, you're part of the problem.

Is that not what opinions are for? To show your view on what you think is right and wrong?

I was stating my opinion of the rMini, not saying all of your opinions are instantly redundant. I was just stating that I don't know why people don't like it.

So it's not a problem when you're stating your opinion, but god forbid it's someone else's?

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
It's just a tablet. Nothing to get excited over.

Apple Apologists are a well known group in existence for years

That's not bashing anyone, simply talking about a very well defined group who hold onto the staunch belief that Apple knows best, are never wrong, and know better than the apologists themselves.

There's nothing wrong with belonging to that group. Those who deny the group's existence are simply not familiar with Apple. Not everyone chooses reality and that's OK. It's what keeps things interesting.

Why be upset when it's so easy to be happy. We have choices, one only has to look around they're everywhere.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
rmini is a great tablet. no question.

gamut issue is real but may not affect your usecase.

roll on 2014 rmini...100% gamut, touch id and a8... available in 32, 64, 128 or 256gb. :D

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I don't think anyone I know has apologized for Apple's decision to use a reduced color gamut on the rMini. However, what I have seen is those that don't seem to be bothered by and it and those that just can't understand that.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I don't think anyone I know has apologized for Apple's decision to use a reduced color gamut on the rMini. However, what I have seen is those that don't seem to be bothered by and it and those that just can't understand that.

Yeah, just because I don't have a problem with the rMini's display I'm automatically assumed to be a sheep by some posters here. I do recognize the reduced color gamut, but tbh it's not a deal breaker for me. It's a great tablet regardless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.