Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
He sure did show some love for the iPad Air in his review.

BGR is hilarious. One day they'll sing the praises of Apple and the next day they'll slam them. Don't worry I'm sure one of BGR editors will slam the new iPad's soon.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Omg a random guy prefers the Air over the rMini?!

That must mean it is better lol

How can you call the star of High School Musical, the WB series Summerland, Again, Me and Orson Welles, Charlie St. Cloud, New Year's Eve, The Lucky One, and The Lorax a random guy?

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Clearly he is also colour blind, either that or :apple: made one without a yellow tint specifically for him.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I love my iPad air, but the guy is a little too in love with it. I'm really not sure how he thinks the iPhone 5s is the smallest upgrade yet. It fundamentally changed the way I use my phone with Touch ID, and the camera speed is unparalleled. I think the 3G to 3GS was the smallest upgrade (speed differences aside). Heck the iPhone 2G to 3G was a pretty small upgrade, a downgrade in materials for sure, with no speed improvement whatsoever!

Anyway, the iPad Air is great, but the OS needs a LOT of fine-tuning.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
How can you call the star of High School Musical, the WB series Summerland, Again, Me and Orson Welles, Charlie St. Cloud, New Year's Eve, The Lucky One, and The Lorax a random guy?

Don't know what any of that is, but from the point of view of reviewing an iPad, he's a random guy. If this was an Ars Technica review I'd be impressed.

Personally, I love how practical and portable the mini is, and I'll be upgrading to the Retina version as soon as my contract allows. 7-8" tablets are the sweet spot for me.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
"But the Air actually feels lighter than the mini since the tablet’s heft is distributed across a much larger device."

Seriously?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
"But the Air actually feels lighter than the mini since the tablet’s heft is distributed across a much larger device."

Seriously?

Its true, because a pound of feathers is lighter then a pound of iron :D

Seriously, it all boils down to personal preference, some of us like the smaller form factor others like the larger iPad. There's no wrong decision

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Seriously, it all boils down to personal preference, some of us like the smaller form factor others like the larger iPad.

Exactly. The size/weight is an important criteria to many. The Air is great, but it doesn't fit in a jacket pocket. If that's important to you then the mini is the "better buy" since it's a closer fit to your needs/wants.

There's no wrong decision

Actually there is. Choosing the one that doesn't fit your needs as well as the other just because some guy on the Internet says so is a "wrong decision." :D

(I agree with what you mean though)

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
this reminds of the hilarious web sentense: "i saw this on facebook this must be true"

same applies for Zach Epstein :D :D :D

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Don't know what any of that is, but from the point of view of reviewing an iPad, he's a random guy. If this was an Ars Technica review I'd be impressed.

Oh right, it's Zac Epstein world famous boy genius reporter not Zac Efron the talented entertainer and teenage heartthrob. My bad I always get those two confused. :rolleyes:

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I got exactly the device I wanted in the size that I wanted (the rMini), and I was able to save $100 over the air. You can think of it that way, too.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
The air feels like a block of cast iron after using the mini for a year. Its lighter than 4th gen but its still got a ways to go to match the mini for overall comfort and feel. Having taken out the air with me everywhere for the past week, I can say that its not nearly as nice and convenient as taking the mini out. The mini can fit in pockets and purses, the air needs a bag or has to be carried by hand. Looks a bit ridiculous carrying and having to put down an air in public. It gets old fast and is just a nousense.

I know many people who eventually stopped bringing their full sized ipads out of the house because of this. They found it too cumbersome. I dont see it being any different with the air.

If I kept both, the mini would still be the device that goes with me everywhere. The air would stay at home and come with me to limited places. But then im not the type of person who sees value in paying $500 for a portable device to stay at home, so the better pick would be rmini.

Last edited:

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
If I kept both, the mini would still be the device that goes with me everywhere. The air would stay at home and come with me to limited places. But then im not the type of person who sees value in paying $500 for a portable device to stay at home, so the better pick would be rmini.

First world problems :roll eyes:, Plenty of people/students carry $1000+ laptops out to class and coffee shops, etc.

Joey225

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
New Jersey

Seriously?

Owning both, I have to say that's true. At least from my perspective. The weight distribution on the air actually does make it feel lighter in some situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.