Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
My sister who has been an avid Apple fan since 2007, decided she had enough of apple as she doesn't like iOS7, so she just sold her 5S & bought a Note 3 which she loves and now a converted Android fan.

So just out of interest has anybody else gone down this same route, because they either fed up with iPhone's or just don't like iOS7.

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
I've known a few people who have gone to android phones and ended up right back with apple phones (some even vice versa). It's really all a matter of preference.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I tried Android for a year and came right back and bought a 5S.

I wanted to love my Nexus 4 and 7 but there are just too many quirks such as extreme battery drain (as much as 50% in 20 minutes) to want another. I had money saved for months to buy the Nexus 5 and then saw reviews where it came with bugs straight out of the box such as different audio levels depending on what you are doing. Sure they can be fixed nothing beats iOS in me opinion after the past year.

I may give the next Nexus a try next year but till then, I have a new 5S that I am loving.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah, went from iPhone 5 to Moto X. Best battery life and best overall phone I've ever had. I just hate iOS 7 and its dumb animations and just the inability to do simple things that "the world's most advanced mobile OS" (haha) should do.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Slightly off topic, but, a friend of mine just got an S4. We took some nice pictures over the weekend but when she checked them at the end of the day, :eek: the photos were completely gone and nowhere to be found. None of the photos saved. What happened here? I'm pretty sure there was a setting we oversaw.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Slightly off topic, but, a friend of mine just got an S4. We took some nice pictures over the weekend but when she checked them at the end of the day, :eek: the photos were completely gone and nowhere to be found. None of the photos saved. What happened here? I'm pretty sure there was a setting we oversaw.

Dunno if Touchwiz has some "confirm" or something after pictures you take in specific modes, but I'll assume that maybe her MicroSD card failed?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Me and my missus have just done this in the last few weeks - I've had iPhones since 2008 but just got fed up, mainly with the screen size.

We've picked up a couple of S4's and are very happy. Android is fab - still has a way to go with certain issues but it's definitely more lively than iOS 7.

Game64

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I have, I've bounced back and forth like a ping-pong ball. I just can't find myself being happy unless i'm on iOS. The app quality, device quality and experience is better IMO. Customization is fine, but not for me. I'm a developer and when i'm off hours I don't want to tinker with my phone. I want it to just work. All of my iPhones have worked without hassle, without issue, without formatting or reimaging. Every single one of the Android phones i've used had a software bug that broke something and required a format.

I've owned...

iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
Samsung Fascinate (Original Galaxy S)
iPhone 4
Nexus S (Broken Simcard Board)
iPhone 4
HTC One X (Laggy, Slow, Bloated, Locked Down)
Galaxy S3 (Broke mysteriously. The ribbon connector on the back of the LCD Disappeared mysteriously.)
Nexus 4 (Battery died, phone went NUTS.)
iPhone 5

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
I just sold my I5 and got an S4. Already have a 4.4 ROM on it and couldn't be happier. Android has come such a long way in the time I left it.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I have, I've bounced back and forth like a ping-pong ball. I just can't find myself being happy unless i'm on iOS. The app quality, device quality and experience is better IMO. Customization is fine, but not for me. I'm a developer and when i'm off hours I don't want to tinker with my phone. I want it to just work. All of my iPhones have worked without hassle, without issue, without formatting or reimaging. Every single one of the Android phones i've used had a software bug that broke something and required a format.

I've owned...

iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
Samsung Fascinate (Original Galaxy S)
iPhone 4
Nexus S (Broken Simcard Board)
iPhone 4
HTC One X (Laggy, Slow, Bloated, Locked Down)
Galaxy S3 (Broke mysteriously. The ribbon connector on the back of the LCD Disappeared mysteriously.)
Nexus 4 (Battery died, phone went NUTS.)
iPhone 5

Not being contrary or anything but when I take my rose-tinted glasses off, I've had:

iPhone 3G (Fine)
iPhone 3GS (Failed, needed swapping out at Apple Store)
iPhone 4 (Terrible Antenna-gate - mine was swapped out twice due to that, digitiser failure and Home Button dying)
iPhone 5 (Fine)

I'm incredibly precious with my iPhones but there were actually a lot of problems when I sit and think about it.

----------

I just sold my I5 and got an S4. Already have a 4.4 ROM on it and couldn't be happier. Android has come such a long way in the time I left it.

I just got an S4 - running it as is (4.3/TouchWiz).

Should I stick 4.4 ROM on it? What would I lose/gain?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

Not sure why they were removed from the phone unless they accidentally did something. They can however look into Google + and have them back up there automatically. Every pic or vid I have taken on my Note 3 is up there still even though I've moved them from my phone to my computer for editing, etc. and then deleted them from the phone.

Note 3 user here and never going back.

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
]

4.4 is much more polished than previous versions. It's so smooth and quick it's insane. I'm sure a lot is placebo where iOS animations were so slow though.

The difference between Touchwiz and stock android is night and day, you won't regret it.

Mine is an I9505 so YMMV.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

Depends on your priorities. Lose: All Touchwiz features (can be good or bad), Some bugs here and there. Gain: Latest android, almost completely lag free (not that Touchwiz 4.3 is that bad).

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Anybody got shut of their iPhone for an Android

I can't do without iOS and I can't do without android, having both is the best way to go if you have the patience and can afford it. Just wish that I didn't have to sync with iTunes for such simple things like ringtones. C'mon Apple, It's almost 2014, there has to be a simpler solution than that.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
While I recognize Android can be a lot more capable especially when doing computer type things those are all things I don't need.

I keep coming back to the iPhone and iOS mostly due to my Apple ecosystem and proprietary software like iMessage and FaceTime.

All preference, no right or wrong here.

l0gan5

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Cambridge. UK
I switched to a Galaxy Nexus after having iPhones up to the 4S. Then went to a Galaxy S3 for the last year.

A couple of weeks ago I had a iPhone 5S and a Note 3 to play with side by side for a week. Loved the Note3, lovely screen, super fast but just a bit too big for my pockets if I'm honest with myself.

Contemplated keeping the 5S, lovely camera, very pocket-able but the 4" screen was a tad too small.

So ended up with a Nexus 5 which is very zippy.

To be honest, they are all great phones and it's really difficult to choose between them.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I lost my 5 and was stuck with a Lucid for about 3 months.

It wasn't a terrible experience. But I did miss the seamless ecosystem of iOS. Google wasn't bad. There were just so many different things to setup or adjust on my Google account that I seemed to spend more time on Google.com than on my phone.

I'll keep the lucid as a backup and glad I had a chance to get some hands on experience with android OS. But I found I was much happier on a less cumbersome platform regardless of how inflexible the customizing options are. In addition, the apps that I use frequently are certainly cleaner & more stable than their android cousins

muy picante

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
I did it in November - bought note 3 instead of iphone 4s, finally got fed up with a shady apple practice of stealing one gigabyte of 4s disk space with ios7 bloatware. I did not bother to upgrade to ios7, but they eventually pushed it. My only regret is that I did not do it when they started sales - it is the best phone I have had so far.
I am not going to dump iphone 4s - will keep it as backup phone.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I did it in November - bought note 3 instead of iphone 4s, finally got fed up with a shady apple practice of stealing one gigabyte of 4s disk space with ios7 bloatware. I did not bother to upgrade to ios7, but they eventually pushed it. My only regret is that I did not do it when they started sales - it is the best phone I have had so far.
I am not going to dump iphone 4s - will keep it as backup phone.

YOu realize that on any phone or computer, you get less disk space than what you thought you were getting? It's all marketing and how they calculate that space. The phone you are using now is "missing" space as well.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I tried Android for a year and came right back and bought a 5S.

I wanted to love my Nexus 4 and 7 but there are just too many quirks such as extreme battery drain (as much as 50% in 20 minutes) to want another. I had money saved for months to buy the Nexus 5 and then saw reviews where it came with bugs straight out of the box such as different audio levels depending on what you are doing. Sure they can be fixed nothing beats iOS in me opinion after the past year.

I may give the next Nexus a try next year but till then, I have a new 5S that I am loving.

iOS 7... That's where Apple lost me w/ iPhone. It feels inconsistent. It feels like Apple didn't really finish overhauling the theme. In fact, I find it weird that some apps use the old keyboard, notification bar, and dial pad. Some of the functional changes are hit or miss w/ me. I loved some, while hated others.

It felt like I was using an Android phone again, not bad experience, just inconsistent like above.

That said, I still prefer my iPad for how content is viewed.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
I did today, but I was an android user before iOS. The straw was that I couldn't charge my iPhone with my Linux notebook that I carry everyday. Had they not implemented this security feature I'd probably still have an iPhone.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I'm considering switching. iOS has some lovely apps and they integrate well with OS X but iOS 7 is so awful, while Android is looking nicer and nicer. Maybe next year.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I bought a HTC One in July after owning an iPhone for a couple of years. I wanted a larger screen and widgets.

muy picante

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
YOu realize that on any phone or computer, you get less disk space than what you thought you were getting? It's all marketing and how they calculate that space. The phone you are using now is "missing" space as well.

Sure, I'm ok with that, but I don't want space wasted with os that downloaded automatically and that I was not planning to install. Btw, in my note3 I have 96 gigs in total, so don't really care how much space droid takes up. Kinda different story with 16 gig 4s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.