Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Sure, I'm ok with that, but I don't want space wasted with os that downloaded automatically and that I was not planning to install. Btw, in my note3 I have 96 gigs in total, so don't really care how much space droid takes up. Kinda different story with 16 gig 4s.

And with Android, the same thing is happening. The update to KitKat on my Nexus 4 and 7 downloaded automatically without me having to do anything. Good luck with your choice but you will see that Google is doing the same thing that you are running away from Apple for.

Look at my screen shot, I didn't download that, it did it on it's own. I can get rid of it by resetting the phone but it will just come right back all on it's own.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-09-11-34-20.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-09-11-34-20.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 114

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
And with Android, the same thing is happening. The update to KitKat on my Nexus 4 and 7 downloaded automatically without me having to do anything. Good luck with your choice but you will see that Google is doing the same thing that you are running away from Apple for.

Look at my screen shot, I didn't download that, it did it on it's own. I can get rid of it by resetting the phone but it will just come right back all on it's own.

Uh except with Android you can easily stop that from happening, not to mention you can actually *delete it* since, you know, file browsers exist. Revolutionary, I know.

Also, so far, Google hasn't released a single update that ruined the OS like Apple has with iOS 7. There's absolutely no reason NOT to go with KitKat.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
And my S4 with stock 4.4 is likely quicker than that.

I'm missing the idea behind your post, sorry!

You were saying how smooth, quick and polished 4.4 was compared to TW. I don't find 4.4 on my Moto X or my roommates N5 any smoother than my Note 3 running 4.3 and its definitely not faster. I just use the stock Samsung browser and it renders pages and opens everything faster than Chrome on my X or Chrome on the N5.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
My Note 3 with TW is quite a bit faster than my Moto X, also faster than my roommates N5...

No it isn't. Pure Android phones almost always launch apps and navigate quicker than TW or Sense-based phones. The amount of bloatware in Samsung's Touchwiz is ridiculous and consumes an ungodly amount of RAM for absolutely no reason.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Rubbish. Same processor as Nexus 5 but a whole lot more software bloat on the Note 3? Riiight :rolleyes:

Same processor but the Note 3 is clocked at 2.3 GHz while the N5 is only 2.26GHz. Not to mention the Note 3 has another GB of RAM...

----------

No it isn't. Pure Android phones almost always launch apps and navigate quicker than TW or Sense-based phones. The amount of bloatware in Samsung's Touchwiz is ridiculous and consumes an ungodly amount of RAM for absolutely no reason.

I have both phones sitting right here. Want me to do a speedtest video and upload it to prove you wrong? I can :)

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
You were saying how smooth, quick and polished 4.4 was compared to TW. I don't find 4.4 on my Moto X or my roommates N5 any smoother than my Note 3 running 4.3 and its definitely not faster.

Ah, got it. I just assumed Touchwiz takes a lot of resources. In the day(!) I managed to put up with it, it was laggy even with everything off.

This is my personal experience, and we're talking different phones and versions so there will be performance differences.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Might you be forgetting the 3 gigs of RAM in the Note 3? I had an S4 and now Note 3 and it's much faster and stutter free by a mile.

I don't know about the Nexus 5 but touchwiz with all its bloat on the Note 3 is pretty doggone zippy

Not only more RAM in the Note 3,its processer is clocked faster

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I have both phones sitting right here. Want me to do a speedtest video and upload it to prove you wrong? I can :)

It's hardly something to brag about. Your bloated phone with an over-compensating CPU and a laptop battery can barely outpace a phone with half the cores, a GB of RAM less, and can just barely stay on as long as a tiny battery. If anything, the Note 3 is a massive step back in technology and a huge step against optimizing. They finally achieved the same smoothness as a small phone like the Moto X or Nexus 5, but not by optimizing anything, but by throwing stupid hardware at it to counter A) terrible optimization and B) terrible power management. Sure post your video, but the Note 3 is a whole lot of wasted potential and a showcase of excellent hardware being crippled by total garbage software and it's not quite as modern as you think it is. :)

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Ah, got it. I just assumed Touchwiz takes a lot of resources. In the day(!) I managed to put up with it, it was laggy even with everything off.

This is my personal experience, and we're talking different phones and versions so there will be performance differences.

There's obviously a huge difference as the Note 3 is not at all in any way laggy with anything. I have 8 widgets running and with no full apps running it takes only 1.07GB RAM. I have yet to have it crash or slow.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
There's obviously a huge difference as the Note 3 is not at all in any way laggy with anything. I have 8 widgets running and with no full apps running it takes only 1.07GB RAM. I have yet to have it crash or slow.

A GB of RAM for the home screen. You're really not seeing anything wrong with that? Not even Windows uses that much for the desktop.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
A GB of RAM for the home screen. You're really not seeing anything wrong with that? Not even Windows uses that much for the desktop.

Considering I'm running 8 widgets which are smaller versions of their full app, and that the base OS has much more than just a desktop / launcher running. besides, it has 3GB total so what's to care?

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
It's hardly something to brag about. Your bloated phone with an over-compensating CPU and a laptop battery can barely outpace a phone with half the cores, a GB of RAM less, and can just barely stay on as long as a tiny battery. If anything, the Note 3 is a massive step back in technology and a huge step against optimizing. They finally achieved the same smoothness as a small phone like the Moto X or Nexus 5, but not by optimizing anything, but by throwing stupid hardware at it to counter A) terrible optimization and B) terrible power management. Sure post your video, but the Note 3 is a whole lot of wasted potential and a showcase of excellent hardware being crippled by total garbage software and it's not quite as modern as you think it is. :)

Great, that's your opinion. I can do very useful things with my bloated, laggy UI that you could only dream about doing on a boring, stock Android phone. Hell, I can't even add a photo album to my gallery on the Moto X. Stock Android is a joke compared to all the features I have on my Note 3. The Moto X is just a beater phone for work and it was cheap, sane as the Nexus 5. The Note 3 is in a whole different league.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Considering I'm running 8 widgets which are smaller versions of their full app, and that the base OS has much more than just a desktop / launcher running. besides, it has 3GB total so what's to care?

It's a step back in technology, again. Throwing massive numbers to solve a lack of software optimization isn't really the best approach. Also considering Windows is running Metro with its Live Tiles AND all the services (there's a page list of services) and not to mention it's a desktop OS obviously so there is way more happening behind the scenes...and it still uses less RAM than a phone? Come on. :rolleyes:

----------

Great, that's your opinion. I can do very useful things with my bloated, laggy UI that you could only dream about doing on a boring, stock Android phone. Hell, I can't even add a photo album to my gallery on the Moto X. Stock Android is a joke compared to all the features I have on my Note 3. The Moto X is just a beater phone for work and it was cheap, sane as the Nexus 5. The Note 3 is in a whole different league.

Haha, Play Store and other gallery apps don't exist folks! All hail Samsung's photo gallery app which probably uses 100+ MB of RAM by itself. But you're right, there are some very valuable things that the Note 3 can do that I could only dream of; shaking your head to navigate is something all of us with Nexus/Pure Android phones wish we had. :D Also having instant updates is overrated, I'd rather wait until April to get KitKat.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
It's a step back in technology, again. Throwing massive numbers to solve a lack of software optimization isn't really the best approach.

Again, who cares? My SUV has hp/tq ratings well above 400 and moves out like crazy and tows anythings. I really don't care how it's mpg's compare to anything old or new. Does the job and does it very well. As does the note 3.

Also considering Windows is running Metro with its Live Tiles AND all the services (there's a page list of services) and not to mention it's a desktop OS obviously so there is way more happening behind the scenes...and it still uses less RAM than a phone? Come on. :rolleyes

If you're seriously comparing a PC and phone and forming an opinion around that then congrats to you. :rolleyes: Not a FU$% is given about doing that at my house.

Haha, Play Store doesn't exist folks! All hail Samsung's photo gallery app which probably uses 100+ MB of RAM by itself.

Not sure what the heck you're ranting about but I suppose everyone has to rant about something.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Haha, Play Store doesn't exist folks! All hail Samsung's photo gallery app which probably uses 100+ MB of RAM by itself.

Why should I have to go downloading third party apps for things I can get stock? Samsung knows what users want. You know, tons of features, SD card slots, removable batteries....You would have to download about 5GBs worth of apps just to do what the Note does out of the box. But hey, have fun with your stock phone and hundreds of apps you need to install just to make it somewhat functional.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
RAM unused is RAM wasted, lol what are you saving it for?
I'd rather have less RAM, a smaller battery, but keep the same performance and battery life. That's the way forward, not cramming hardware because your software department is too lazy.

Again, who cares? My SUV has hp/tq ratings well above 400 and moves out like crazy and tows anythings. I really don't care how it's mpg's compare to anything old or new. Does the job and does it very well. As does the note 3.
Don't compare cars with phones, it's an analogy that never works.

If you're seriously comparing a PC and phone and forming an opinion around that then congrats to you. :rolleyes: Not a FU$% is given about doing that at my house.
Yeah, it's still pretty sad though. Windows is apparently *ram-hungry* according to people that bash it yet Samsung's phones use way more RAM...for a phone home screen. Pretty sad lack of optimization.

Why should I have to go downloading third party apps for things I can get stock? Samsung knows what users want. You know, tons of features, SD card slots, removable batteries....You would have to download about 5GBs worth of apps just to do what the Note does out of the box. But hey, have fun with your stock phone and hundreds of apps you need to install just to make it somewhat functional.

Not really. The only thing extra aside from being able to make albums (slow claps for that by the way, that's a really amazing feature that a 2MB app couldn't do, at all) that we're missing is that head-waving gesture stuff. I don't think any of us are missing that. :D But hey the stylus is cool though.

And the "why should I have to go downloading" argument..is a bit weird, frankly, given that we ARE talking about Android. You download apps to do stuff. Pure Android gives you a perfect foundation and you build on it with whatever apps you please. The disadvantage of that: yes, you gotta download the apps and they don't come out of the box. The advantage: we don't have to wait 5 months to get our updates. :) The S4 FINALLY got an update...to 4.3. :D

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I'd rather have less RAM, a smaller battery, but keep the same performance and battery life. That's the way forward, not cramming hardware because your software department is too lazy.

Great, sounds like you made the choice that's right for you. So why is it you are trying to justify that decision by making choices for others who have made a choice for themselves? You either like peeing in the wind or are insecure and need to pat yourself on your back :cool:
Don't compare cars with phones, it's an analogy that never works.

Well if you're comparing a Moto X to the Note 3, that's like comparing an G37x to a Q56. If the shoe fits.....

Yeah, it's still pretty sad though. Windows is apparently *ram-hungry* according to people that bash it yet Samsung's phones use way more RAM...for a phone home screen. Pretty sad lack of optimization.

Again, unless you're able to prove how your view of apparent lack of optimization or efficiency is impacting my world, why do any of us care about your choice? I look forward to your continued attempts to influence others....and a tip...if that's what you're trying to do, you're doing it wrong.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I personally don't agree with the way Samsung handles their phones and their software particularly, but I accept that there are many people out there that look for a full package out of the box that has practically everything they'd want in a phone, and as long as it gets good battery life (the Note 3 does) then who cares about the excess hardware? It doesn't affect the end user and I accept that; I was merely pointing out that I don't really believe that this is the way forward but oh well.

But you must also accept that there are people out there that, instead of having an experience laid out for them, want to make their own experience with their own collection of apps. Out of the box there's no competition, your Note 3 will be way more functional than my Moto X. But people don't use phones out of the box for their whole lives, and after a few apps it's fair to say that whatever shortcomings it had coming out of the box are diminished. They do make it vanilla on purpose: it encourages fast updates and fast updates are indeed what we get. I personally will take fast updates and flexibility over a proprietary UI and snail mail updates, and that's why I bought the phone I bought.

I like my phone and you like yours, that's it. I never said the Note 3 is a bad phone, but Samsung's model of making up for terrible software optimization with overcompensating hardware is such a waste of potential and I was just pointing that out. Not attempting to influence anything, just laying out the sad facts. :)

By the way, I'm pretty sure the G37x will outrun a QX56 anyday. Sure you wanna make that comparison? (no complaints from me if you do!) :p

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Not really. The only thing extra aside from being able to make albums that we're missing is that head-waving gesture stuff. I don't think any of us are missing that. :D But hey the stylus is cool though.

Really? You can shoot 4k video on your phone? You have a multi window app where you can run two apps at the same time on your screen? You can create a slideshow, photo collage, story album and video clip all from your gallery? You can pull down from the top bezel in any fullscreen app to view and interact with the notification bar? (Not even a feature in AOSP) You have a finder feature that lets you search for anything on your phone (pics, videos, notes, messages etc..) just by typing a single word? Your phone can do one handed operation by shrinking the screen down and moving it wherever you want on your display to make it easier to use? Your phone has a call notification window? You can copy a number and paste it in your dialer? (I can't on my Moto X running stock Android) I'll stop there, I won't even go into all the useful features with the S pen you'll never see on another phone. I could go on for days with features I have on my Note 3 you probably don't even know about and features that don't exist in any app on Playstore. But again, have fun with your stock phone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.