Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
That they are stupid? It's not like I'm sitting here in a bright blue apple t-shirt with a gold chain bragging about my money lol.

It's like carrying one of these things is a big "hate on me" sign.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
no matter what you buy/use/do/who you are there will always be people who hate

just go with what you like and ignore the haters :)

I was in english class and the teacher (also a mac user but has to use the crappy windows 7 desktops at the school when she teaches) was helping the 2 or 3 of us mac users out with how to set up the APA and bibliography stuff in word along with the margins since it is displayed differently than it would be on a windows PC.She says sorry for focusing on the mac users since the next tutorial doesn't apply to them, Some guy blurts out "at least us Windows users know how to use our stuff"

I wanted to say "so why are you still here" lol.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'm not sure where you're getting that attitude. I lived in NYC and never got a hostile vibe from anyone ... not even in Starbucks! The general attitude was one of appreciation for the hardware - even lustful glances at times.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I never pay any attention to what "others" think about my purchases or anything else I do. Their opinions are unimportant to me. How is some stranger's opinion going to affect my life at all? It doesn't. Just do what works for you and forget what others may think. You don't need their approval.

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator
I was in english class and the teacher (also a mac user but has to use the crappy windows 7 desktops at the school when she teaches) was helping the 2 or 3 of us mac users out with how to set up the APA and bibliography stuff in word along with the margins since it is displayed differently than it would be on a windows PC.She says sorry for focusing on the mac users since the next tutorial doesn't apply to them, Some guy blurts out "at least us Windows users know how to use our stuff"

he probably does know how to resolve issues better than you do because as a windows user he gets a lot of practice :D

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
he probably does know how to resolve issues better than you do because as a windows user he gets a lot of practice :D

I've been using windows for years I just got a mac 3 months ago lol. Believe me there were problems with it ALL THE TIME. My last laptop froze just about everytime I plugged in headphones. Just amazing. Battery life was crap too, it couldn't make it halfway through a 2 hour movie without being at like 30%. As long as I can help it i will not go back. Like the saying "once you go black you'll never go back"

and I live in New Jersey, one of my friends outright stated he hates macs when he couldn't figure out how to find his android phone in finder to get a song from me. Maybe its just the "younger" age group.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The majority of laptops at the Starbucks around Toronto seem to be MacBooks. The PC folks can be found clustered around the AC outlets.

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
Traditionally, OS X has always been perceived as more simplified in comparison to Windows, not to mention certain Linux distributions. A user base that resorts to using the simplest of operating systems...I think you can infer the main implication. My reasoning is that those people must have seen some of the advice given and posts by some of the Mac users on this forum and other forums. The lack of knowledge is quite shocking at times, but the same can be said of some Windows users to be fair.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
A Mac is the best OS for my uses. It increases my productivity. That's all I'm concerned about.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
The majority of laptops at the Starbucks around Toronto seem to be MacBooks. The PC folks can be found clustered around the AC outlets.
+1, I had to reread the last part to get the joke since I skimmed over it
Traditionally, OS X has always been perceived as more simplified in comparison to Windows, not to mention certain Linux distributions. A user base that resorts to using the simplest of operating systems...I think you can infer the main implication. My reasoning is that those people must have seen some of the advice given and posts by some of the Mac users on this forum and other forums. The lack of knowledge is quite shocking at times, but the same can be said of some Windows users to be fair.

Windows isn't even hard to use, most people just download google chrome or something, download a few songs and call it a day lol. Well not "most" but a good amount of people don't care for Windows app store and all that stuff. OS X integrates with my iOS devices and apple TV, sold it for me. I was hesistant to get one because of the price but when I was a DJ fellow DJs told me to get a mac, finally got one and it's awesome.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013

Years back a much more daunting reality was in place when every TTC (subway for non-Torontonians) rider was sporting white headphones.

There's something VERY lemming-like when that happens.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I got some justice recently when one of my friends (a comp sci major) who normally hates on my Mac compared to his gaming tower had to ask to borrow it so he can apply for a programming job where they use OS X.

In general though I don't take too much flack. My college campus is full of Mac and iDevice users.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
This is purely anecdotal, but most of the people I know who have Macs are not really that tech-savvy. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty tech-savvy and I just bought a 13" rMBP, but when I think of the typical Mac user I think of my sister, who was constantly getting viruses and malware on her Windows computer until she got an 11" MacBook Air, or my mother, who barely understands how to use email, or my ex-girlfriend, who doesn't know what RAM is.

All of these people are firmly in the Apple ecosystem (owning iPhones, iPads, Macs), and none of them really understand technology.

Of course that doesn't mean that every Mac user is like that - I'm living proof that Mac users can be tech geeks too - but I can definitely understand where the stereotype comes from.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I got some justice recently when one of my friends (a comp sci major) who normally hates on my Mac compared to his gaming tower had to ask to borrow it so he can apply for a programming job where they use OS X.

In general though I don't take too much flack. My college campus is full of Mac and iDevice users.

Should have told him to use Hackintosh lol. I'm in CIS though so I'm not too sure what comp sci people do lol

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
I never pay any attention to what "others" think about my purchases or anything else I do. Their opinions are unimportant to me. How is some stranger's opinion going to affect my life at all? It doesn't. Just do what works for you and forget what others may think. You don't need their approval.

MacRumors might very well cease to have any purpose if others shared your outlook!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
MacRumors might very well cease to have any purpose if others shared your outlook!
Not really. There are plenty who come here for technical help. That doesn't require being a victim of someone else's opinion.

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
This is purely anecdotal, but most of the people I know who have Macs are not really that tech-savvy. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty tech-savvy and I just bought a 13" rMBP, but when I think of the typical Mac user I think of my sister, who was constantly getting viruses and malware on her Windows computer until she got an 11" MacBook Air, or my mother, who barely understands how to use email, or my ex-girlfriend, who doesn't know what RAM is.

All of these people are firmly in the Apple ecosystem (owning iPhones, iPads, Macs), and none of them really understand technology.

I share similar sentiments as you, but I think that many people, in general, have little knowledge about technology, but that depends on definition. Being able to perform basic functions or tinker with system preferences does not mean an individual is tech-savy. To add to that, I'm certain that most people here would call themselves tech-savy, but judging by some of the threads/posts made, I think otherwise.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
haters gonna hate.

Last time it happened to me was at university about a week ago. We did a bit of video editing, so I took the late 2013 rMBP of my girlfriend with me. There was one guy always making stupid apple jokes so I asked what his problem was. He was like: "You idiot spent so much money and nearly every computer is better than yours".
I said we should try a benchmark to proof that it was at least as fast. He suggested geekbench. I downloaded and ran the 32 bit version. I was nearly finished with editing a video when he had finally installed and run it. The told me his score (had a ULV dualcore ultrabook) and I guess his notebook was in batterysaving mode cause he scored only 1600 in multicore. He asked me how long my applecrap would take and I said let's call it a day, both computers are as good. He kept fooling around so I showed him the 13000 score of the i7 4960HQ. It DID shut him up for a few minutes.

In general: Your devices (notebook, smartphone etc) do NOT define what you are! There are a lot of people hating others for their choice, but in the end it's 90%envy!

mitasol

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
Gawd, computer envy! Life's too short - the only person I have to impress is me, and perhaps my wife.

I've been using MS-DOS/Windows machines since the first IBM PC's came out. I've also used and supported Mac's off and on from the all-in-one Classic to one of the first Macbook's - to me a computer is a tool to achieve a result, and I generally use the best tool for the job.

After having tested Windows 8 from the beta stage I decided last week that a Mac would be my next tool so last week I bought a 13" rMBP and am very happy with it. I will still be supporting Windows desktops and servers but out of the office I'll be enjoying my rMBP

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I teach Electrical Engineering courses part time. I see lots of student notebook computers. When I first got a Mac, about 7 years ago, they all had Windows computers. Now about a fourth are Macs, and about half of the instructors/professors as well. Nobody here is technologically ignorant!

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I share similar sentiments as you, but I think that many people, in general, have little knowledge about technology, but that depends on definition. Being able to perform basic functions or tinker with system preferences does not mean an individual is tech-savy. To add to that, I'm certain that most people here would call themselves tech-savy, but judging by some of the threads/posts made, I think otherwise.

+1, people aren't as tech savy as they would like to think, I for one know I am not a tech god but I think I am a little smarter than the average joe when it comes to technology due to it being like my main hobby lol. Not professor smart but still I'm a go to guy.

Breedlove

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006

Nearly every professor at the law school I went to used Macbook Airs (same with nearly 70% of my class).

Using a Thinkpad at the time, I felt out of place.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
There are A LOT of people that hate Apple out of ignorance.

Being friends with a lot of gamers that build their own PCs (I build my own Windows PCs for purely gaming too), they tend to hate Apple since they aren't the greatest with gaming. If I asked any of them why Macs weren't great for gaming, they wouldn't be able to explain it to me. All they would say is that that's all they've heard. Most couldn't tell me about Bootcamp or anything of that sort.

Others can't justify the price and state that they are overpriced and that you're only paying for an Apple logo smacked onto a pretty computer. They won't accept that the Software (OS X) works so much better with the Apple tested hardware than Windows which has to work on several different combinations of hardware.

Like others have said, since OS X is always advertised as being easier to use, many will state that it is for those that are stupid. Their only argument against OS X not getting viruses is "well, it would be pointless to make viruses for Macs because Macs are stupid!" Great logic, right? They haven't experienced what it's like to (nearly) be risk-free from viruses. They haven't experience the intuitive gestures and they just assume it's for "dumb" people.

Many also have not even tried out OS X. They have just been using Windows all of their lives so out of ignorance they just assume that what they have is better. I have a friend who is that way. I'd like to see him import thousands of photos onto his computer and have it nicely sorted out.

I even have a friend who calls Apple a bunch of "communists." That is the most ignorant reason of them all. He just can't accept the fact that OS X is closed source and that the Apple Ecosystem works super well.

Many think that Windows is better because there is a larger quantity of Windows Programs available compared to OS X. They don't realize that Quality is more important than quantity. For example, their iMovie equivalent is Windows Movie Maker :D.

I took a couple of friends into an Apple store once because one wanted an Apple TV for his room. My other friend said that he felt "out of place" in there and that everything in there was a waste of money.

I should really invest in some new friends, huh?

Mainly, I think Windows users feel superior because they have never tried OS X and associate it being for "dumb" people that need a simplified OS.

Last edited:

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Mainly, I think Windows users feel superior because they have never tried OS X and associate it being for "dumb" people that need a simplified OS.

That pretty much sums it up. People (neither Mac nor Windows "normal" guys know a lot about computer technology) buy their macs because they offer great performance in some areas (a friend of mine just bought it because the air had awesome battery life) but then realize that there is so much you can do with a computer without knowing/learning a lot. For him this was garageband

I think that is another problem. People somehow hate, that it is so easy do to/create stuff with macs and their preinstalled software that they think "it's not worth" anything and they hate you for doing it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.