Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I know the site makes its money from the advertisements, however I have noticed they have really stepped up the past few times I have visited the site. On an iPad, there is a persistent advertisement on the bottom of the page, which is somewhat intrusive. In addition, there is what appears to be an AJAX based ad on the homepage that floats on top of the page until one closes it. Furthermore, the forum user "Sponsored" has really increased in presence.

I understand some advertising is needed, but I feel all of the additional advertisements over the past few months really take away from the enjoyment of visiting the site. I hope they are scaled back to what they were a few months ago. I have an internal DNS server that points most advertising servers to null, and I do not like to use that on sites I don't mind to support, however I feel if they keep increasing it will encourage users to use more ad blocking extensions and DNS to circumvent it.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
As always, it's much easier to do something about annoying ads if you take a screenshot of the bothersome advertisements. Then we can take steps to get rid of them.

There should not be any popover or floating ads.

Last edited by a moderator:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I know the site makes its money from the advertisements, however I have noticed they have really stepped up the past few times I have visited the site. On an iPad, there is a persistent advertisement on the bottom of the page, which is somewhat intrusive. In addition, there is what appears to be an AJAX based ad on the homepage that floats on top of the page until one closes it. Furthermore, the forum user "Sponsored" has really increased in presence.

I understand some advertising is needed, but I feel all of the additional advertisements over the past few months really take away from the enjoyment of visiting the site. I hope they are scaled back to what they were a few months ago. I have an internal DNS server that points most advertising servers to null, and I do not like to use that on sites I don't mind to support, however I feel if they keep increasing it will encourage users to use more ad blocking extensions and DNS to circumvent it.

We try to block popups and the like. There's been a persistent one this last week.

The iPad one should have been removed. Are you still seeing it?

arn

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
We try to block popups and the like. There's been a persistent one this last week.

The iPad one should have been removed. Are you still seeing it?

arn

I will check and see. Here is the other that just appeared.

Attachments

• ad.png
    ad.png
    877.2 KB · Views: 220

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Still here...

This ad is still appearing. Also, the iPad and iPhone ads are appearing as well.

Attachments

• ad.png
    ad.png
    991.8 KB · Views: 153

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
Does anyone else get redirected to the App Store when they load up MacRumors on their iDevices? Really annoying when it happens.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Does anyone else get redirected to the App Store when they load up MacRumors on their iDevices? Really annoying when it happens.

Haven't seen that.

We talking front page? What app in the App Store?

arn

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
TechCrunch covered this issue in an article yesterday. In short, it's coming from the ad networks, but it's not entirely clear who is responsible for the bad behavior. Certainly not unique to MacRumors, but that doesn't help solve the problem.

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
Haven't seen that.

We talking front page? What app in the App Store?

arn

Sorry I closed out of the App Store so quickly in frustration I didn't see. This was front page. The only advertisement I remember seeing was the game Animal Voyage by Pocket Gems. Not sure if that's what caused it. Sorry for not being able to help more then that!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sorry I closed out of the App Store so quickly in frustration I didn't see. This was front page. The only advertisement I remember seeing was the game Animal Voyage by Pocket Gems. Not sure if that's what caused it. Sorry for not being able to help more then that!

That happened to me quite often on my iPhone after I went on some dirty websites. Not saying you did the same, just saying how mine came (no pun intended). Clear the cache and it'll be fine. :)

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
That happened to me quite often on my iPhone after I went on some dirty websites. Not saying you did the same, just saying how mine came (no pun intended). Clear the cache and it'll be fine. :)

Haha I'll clear the cache and see. Thanks! :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Front page.

Gross, can we monitor these a little better?

View attachment 467103

If you can also grab the URL of the ad, the admins can see about having the ad removed from the site.

What do I do about annoying ads?

MacRumors uses an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. We do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

If you find a particular ad especially annoying (e.g., an ad that is oversized, obscures the page, moves around, or has sound), let us know by posting a screenshot in our Site and Forum Feedback forum and telling us the URL it links to. Using this information we can ask to have it removed from the ad pool.

If you find all ads annoying, remember that ads support the site and allow us to provide free news, rumors, and discussion, and that ads are suppressed for paid members. See How do I contribute to MacRumors.com? above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.