Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
I'm having terrible luck with iPhone 5's. As I mentioned in a previous thread, my first one was replaced after 15 months because the wifi antenna was failing. Now I got this replacement yesterday, and the screen has a very visible digitizer grid under moderate light, especially when the screen is off. It looks like a prototype device. Has anyone had this issue before? I think I should take it in and have the screen swapped. I don't want them to replace the whole iPhone again because I'm worried about the "iPhone lottery" and getting a replacement with even more issues, at least if the screen is the one issue on this one it could just be replaced. I wish I could take a photo of it but my iPhone is my only camera.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
You were lucky they replaced it out of warranty but it never hurts to try and see what they say. I for one wouldnt be pushing my luck too much.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
It's not anal retentive, it's VERY noticeable. I'm not one to examine screens when I get them and I'm not OCD at all with electronics. This is visible even when the screen is on (not as much) but still visible. It just doesn't look normal. I actually noticed it all of yesterday and today but I thought I just left the phone face down on some sort of fabric that had a grid pattern, but then I finally went to wipe it off an hour ago and realized it doesn't come off. It's not something I was looking for.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
It's not anal retentive, it's VERY noticeable. I'm not one to examine screens when I get them and I'm not OCD at all with electronics. This is visible even when the screen is on (not as much) but still visible. It just doesn't look normal. I actually noticed it all of yesterday and today but I thought I just left the phone face down on some sort of fabric that had a grid pattern, but then I finally went to wipe it off an hour ago and realized it doesn't come off. It's not something I was looking for.

All repairs (OOW or not) come with a 90 day guarantee. Take it back. However, they will likely not cover such a minor issue

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
If it's so noticeable, then why don't you post a pic? I want to see it.

Fine, I had to dig up my nexus 7 with a crappy camera to take this pic but it still shows up perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_20131213_003152.jpg
    IMG_20131213_003152.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,108

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Fine, I had to dig up my nexus 7 with a crappy camera to take this pic but it still shows up perfectly.

That doesn't look like a digitizer grid. But that does look like grounds for replacement. However, they still may not replace it as it's a minor defect in the grand scheme of things.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
That doesn't look like a digitizer grid. But that does look like grounds for replacement. However, they still may not replace it as it's a minor defect in the grand scheme of things.

Here's another pic with the screen on. It's even worse actually.

Attachments

• IMG_20131213_003921.jpg
    IMG_20131213_003921.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3,036

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I can see this in my 5S and my previous 4S, but it's nowhere near as noticeable as that. I have to hold a flash light up to the screen to see it.

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
yes it did. there are a bunch of people who think they are over smart over here. I wonder if the work with apple :p

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Here's another pic with the screen on. It's even worse actually.

It doesn't look in great condition to have been received yesterday. What's that on the upper right corner? The damaged case u have on it? Seems to be a mark on the bottom too. I would bring it back ASAP

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
Just looked at my iPhone 4S and the digitiser grid on mine is quite visible if angled just right in normal light when off. It's visible when on too, though much harder to see - yours is much more visible than it is on my iPhone. However I found it virtually impossible to see the digitiser grid on my 5th gen iPod Touch.

Personally I wouldn't be too bothered about it as long as it didn't affect functionality or touch operation, be interesting to see what they say at the Apple store about it, let us know how you get on :)

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Your image shows a good bit of working it over in a photo editor

You've gotta be joking. You sound like an arm chair expert to me, because I took the photo on my rarely used nexus 7 that i forget I have and sent it instantly to my Mac and posted it here. I love when people with absolutely zero credentials try to claim a completely undoctored photo is fake.

----------

It doesn't look in great condition to have been received yesterday. What's that on the upper right corner? The damaged case u have on it? Seems to be a mark on the bottom too. I would bring it back ASAP

It's the case. It's a leather-type material and the edges are not cut perfectly so there are little pieces of leather lint. The phone itself is in brand new condition.

----------

What else are you lying about?!

Again, joking right? I don't use my nexus 7 much because I really can't stand it and sometimes forget I have it. I had to get it out of the drawer and turn it on to take those pics, other than that I don't have another cam. Except on my macbook but it would be awkward to take a photo with that.

----------

Personally I wouldn't be too bothered about it as long as it didn't affect functionality or touch operation, be interesting to see what they say at the Apple store about it, let us know how you get on :)

I have an appointment for later today, I will certainly post an update. Meanwhile, the conspiracy theorists will spend their day analyzing my photos trying to figure out if they're doctored. :D

I honestly don't even know how to use photoshop, and I have virtually zero creativity.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
yes it did. there are a bunch of people who think they are over smart over here. I wonder if the work with apple :p

No, there are too many anal-retentive members here who don't hesitate to swap it out for digitizer grid that is normally visible under flashlight and only when the screen is off. The OP should not have called it digitizer grid because it's more than that which has gone wrong.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
The OP should not have called it digitizer grid because it's more than that which has gone wrong.

You're right, I shouldn't have called it that because I didn't know for sure that's what it was. It just seemed like the closest thing to it based on my google searches.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Then GET IT REPLACED!:eek:

Why a thread when it just needs to be replaced:rolleyes:

Very few of us think Apple is perfect and does not make mistakes. They sell alot of hardware and there will be the occasional problem!

I think it is good that the OP brought this up; I've never seen grid lines this apparent on the iPhone display before. I have been able to see my digitizer grid on the iP4 when I still had it, but I have to be looking for it. I can't seem to find any lines on my iP5 no matter the angle I tilt mine, but that's probably just due to the high gloss glass skin protector I have on it right now. Just as a dead or stuck pixel would annoy me, I think that unusually visible grid lines could be almost as distracting if visible even when on.

OP, while I've never swapped any phone out with the genius before, I think this problem seems fair enough that you should be entitled to a replacement, considering the timeliness of your most recent replacement. It never hurts to try or bring it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.