Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Just ordered the basic 6-core with 512 SSD. I run VMware fusion with a domain controller (server 2008 R2), Exchange 2010 server, a coupe of clients for studying. At least 4 VMS running at once but not 24/7 Im also into Xplane 10 with all features turned to the max but don't play many games otherwise. Yea it is a bit pricy for a non pro and my friend ask if i really need it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems like maybe over-kill to me, but then I can't afford one but if I could I'd buy one.

So let me get to the bottom line, if you want one get one, I don't think you need convincing to help you justify the cost. :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Just ordered the basic 6-core with 512 SSD. I run VMware fusion with a domain controller (server 2008 R2), Exchange 2010 server, a coupe of clients for studying. At least 4 VMS running at once but not 24/7 Im also into Xplane 10 with all features turned to the max but don't play many games otherwise. Yea it is a bit pricy for a non pro and my friend ask if i really need it.

Sounds like the quad core would be fine for such a light load.

Mostly idle VMs don't use much other than memory. Turn on hyper-threading, and don't give any VM more than 2 cores.

I assume that your PDC is only used by a few test clients. Doesn't matter for the CPU load, but if production users depend on the PDC you have some potential issues.

mrsavage1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Get a 4 core 32 gb ram d700. D700s should be a lot more useful in xplane than more cpu cores. vm's will run fine with 4 core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.