Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything when I did a search. I would like to buy 1GB of Crucial RAM to replace my 512MB of stock RAM. Will I void my 3 year AppleCare warranty if I install the RAM myself into the Mac mini?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
No. As long as you don't change anything else, your warranty will not be voided if you install extra memory. If you are really worried, it's best to have an Apple Authorized tech install it, then you're guaranteed security.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Thanks, thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure. So basically, if you don't break anything while you're inside the mini then you're good? I think I will just install the RAM myself.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
CoMpX said:
Thanks, thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure. So basically, if you don't break anything while you're inside the mini then you're good? I think I will just install the RAM myself.

Basically, it's a pretty simple process if you follow a step by step guide to take it apart and install the memory.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
As Samsung is Apple's OEM memory of choice, I prefer it when weighing warranty issues.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I did it. I bought a 1GB stick from PBFixit because they were cheaper than Crucial. I downloaded the instructions pdf and printed the screw template sheet. Should be here on Tuesday, I had my dad pay and extra $35 for next day air. :D Whish me luck! :) ;)

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
CoMpX said:
I did it. I bought a 1GB stick from PBFixit because they were cheaper than Crucial. I downloaded the instructions pdf and printed the screw template sheet. Should be here on Tuesday, I had my dad pay and extra $35 for next day air. :D Whish me luck! :) ;)

Good Luck! The hardest part is popping the top off the first time. After that its pretty straight forward. :)

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
When I did it to mine (now my mom's) the back never correctly snapped back into place.. I'm not quite the most hardware proficient though, I'm more of a software guy. Be really careful.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Do yourself a favour and watch the OWC Installation video (Scroll to the "Would you like to Do it Yourself?" bit). The hardest part is getting the mini open and closing it. The first time you do it you are really scared of breaking the tabs inside. Now I can pop open a Mini in less than a minute :D

Replacing the Memory really is a cinch. Take the Mini top off, unclip the ram, clip in new ram, put the top back on. Boot up and enjoy that extra memory!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
California said:
As Samsung is Apple's OEM memory of choice, I prefer it when weighing warranty issues.
Apple's DDR DIMMs are just as likely to be Hynix as Samsung. Powerbook SODIMMs are primarily Samsung, but Apple can and does use a variety of RAM and hard drive suppliers that can change without notice.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
mikemodena said:
When I did it to mine (now my mom's) the back never correctly snapped back into place.. I'm not quite the most hardware proficient though, I'm more of a software guy. Be really careful.

Taking apart computers, and small Macs in particular, requires pretty much an acquired sense of how much pressure to use and where...once you do a couple it comes relatively easily. Think of your minis as practice for future computers.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
pulsewidth947 said:
Replacing the Memory really is a cinch. Take the Mini top off, unclip the ram, clip in new ram, put the top back on. Boot up and enjoy that extra memory!

I thought that you have to take the hard drive/optical drive/fan caddy out in order to install the RAM. That's what PBFixit has you do.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
CoMpX said:
I thought that you have to take the hard drive/optical drive/fan caddy out in order to install the RAM. That's what PBFixit has you do.

No you don't have to. I've installed RAM in both of mine without doing that. The only time I had to remove the caddy is when I needed to do some OC modification on the system board.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
DanielNTX said:
No you don't have to. I've installed RAM in both of mine without doing that. The only time I had to remove the caddy is when I needed to do some OC modification on the system board.

Oh, ok. I will probably take the caddy off anyway because I also want to clean some of the dust out of there. Just by looking into the vents I can see a lot of dust built up. New RAM should be here tomorrow.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
just did it

i just did the surgery yesterday an it went quite well, my suggestion, use the putty knife starting at the left or right back edge and then work AROUND the minis edge loosening the clips, rather than going right side, left side. made it very easy for me.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
We got a batch of Mac Mini's in at work and they ALL had Samsung memory. My iMac came with Samsung RAM too. I upgraded all those Mini's to 1 GB. I have a ton of 512 MB sticks laying around in my office.

It's scary popping off the the top for the first time.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
TheMasin9 said:
i just did the surgery yesterday an it went quite well, my suggestion, use the putty knife starting at the left or right back edge and then work AROUND the minis edge loosening the clips, rather than going right side, left side. made it very easy for me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.

HazelGirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
if u buy ram and then take it to the apple store, will they still install it or do u have to buy from apple?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
HazelGirl said:
if u buy ram and then take it to the apple store, will they still install it or do u have to buy from apple?

You have to buy it from Apple/that particular Apple store. When i asked this question to them they said that Apple will not let them install 3rd party products, you would have to buy the RAM from Apple or your local Apple store in order for them to install it for you.

Ed

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Putting it back can be tricky, the top of the back ports area doesn't seem to like to stick back into the metal case. Make sure you put the back in place first.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Well, I just performed the upgrade and everything went well. I can see a very large difference in speed from 512 to 1GB by using the Mac in the ways i normally do. The only slight problem was getting the cover back on correctly, which took a little while. Thanks everyone for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.