Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I've pretty much decided on the 15" rMBP that lists for $2,599. However, I'm wondering if the base model that lists for $1,999 wouldn't meet my needs.

I know the base model has lower specs:
Processor: 2.0 vs 2.3
Ram: 8GB vs 16GB
SDD: 256 vs 512
Graphics: Integrated vs dedicated

My computing requirements are general home computing (letters, spreadsheets), and web surfing

Since I need more than 256GB, I would add the 512GB to the base model, which would bring the cost up to $2,299

What differences will I notice between the integrated graphics compared to the dedicated graphics?

What differences will I notice between the 8GB RAM compared to 16GB RAM?

Will the base model become obsolete sooner than the higher model?

Thank you

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Normal computing usage, such as surfing, documents emails, etc will not see any benefit from the discrete GPU imo.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
though, if you're already planning on adding the 512GB upgrade you might as well spring the extra cash for the higher end model. this will also make it an easier to sell down the road.

also, go with the education discount offered by apple and save extra cash;
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/education_pricing
your upgraded base 15" would cost $2129. while the higher end model drops down to $2399. at that price, for an additional $270 you get more memory, faster CPU, and that dedicated GPU.

jayroc2k

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
your upgraded base 15" would cost $2129. while the higher end model drops down to $2399. at that price, for an additional $270 you get more memory, faster CPU, and that dedicated GPU.

$270 is a lot of money for something that is not needed or required.

my friend uses a core2duo 2.4Ghz 4GB Ram for web surfing, vectorworks architecture (CAD) software.

Adding some patience to the mix, she never complains or sees the point upgrading

most people considering a used 3/4 year old macbook down the line won't be the likes of us who demand the fastest and the best, hence we only buy new or refurb

To them it may just be a 13" vs. 15" decision

Jack Sun

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
I've pretty much decided on the 15" rMBP that lists for $2,599. However, I'm wondering if the base model that lists for $1,999 wouldn't meet my needs.

I know the base model has lower specs:
Processor: 2.0 vs 2.3
Ram: 8GB vs 16GB
SDD: 256 vs 512
Graphics: Integrated vs dedicated

My computing requirements are general home computing (letters, spreadsheets), and web surfing

Since I need more than 256GB, I would add the 512GB to the base model, which would bring the cost up to $2,299

What differences will I notice between the integrated graphics compared to the dedicated graphics?

What differences will I notice between the 8GB RAM compared to 16GB RAM?

Will the base model become obsolete sooner than the higher model?

Thank you

The base model is VERY VERY overpowered for your needs.

Also, the base model has been on sale for as low as $1749 ($1699 with edu discount). If you can find that again with after-holiday sales, that would mean your upgrade to 512GB actually costs you as much as $600, never mind all the way to $2599 for the high-end model. Do you think the extra 256GB of hard drive space is worth $600??? I don't.

Also, don't listen to the people who say spend the extra $300-800 because you'll have better resale value. Because you won't need or use the extras, that's like investing $600 now knowing you'll only get $200 back later. Not only are you losing the $400 outright, but you are losing even more based on the time-value of money.

Sorry, all a pet peeve. People's loopy financial gymnastics in these forums make me crazy...No wonder the USA is buried under more debt than the world has ever seen...

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
$270 is a lot of money for something that is not needed or required.

you're already spending $2129.

Also, don't listen to the people who say spend the extra $300-800 because you'll have better resale value. Because you won't need or use the extras, that's like investing $600 now knowing you'll only get $200 back later. Not only are you losing the $400 outright, but you are losing even more based on the time-value of money.

it's only an extra $270.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.