Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I know one can use skype or another application to make phone call from the iPad. However, it requires internet connection. I don't use 3G data. I use free wifi services from stores. Why Apple does not make a phone-capable iPad? As some of you know, the 8" Galaxy Note has phone capability built-in.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know one can use skype or another application to make phone call from the iPad. However, it requires internet connection. I don't use 3G data. I use free wifi services from stores. Why Apple does not make a phone-capable iPad? As some of you know, the 8" Galaxy Note has phone capability built-in.

You can use apps like TextMe for making phone calls from your iPad. The sound quality isn't as good as using an iPhone, but it is quite workable

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
Simple

Apple want you to use iMessage.

and the NSA may find it simpler to gather information on you with iMessage? :eek:

Last edited:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Simple. The iphone is their biggest cash cow and they don't want cannibalization from other products. There are a decent number of people who'd probably use an ipad mini as an iphone replacement if they could.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Different product, I can't see why I'd want to use my rMini as a phone when I have an iPhone that will work better. Plus its much easier carrying my iPhone around in my pocket. I do take my rMini with me much of the time, but not everywhere - that would not be feasible in my case.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Just use one of the apps that allow you to make a call.

The call quality on these apps isn't as good as what you get on a real phone but it can work.

I had to use my iPad once to make a phone call when I forgot my phone at home one night. I was never more happy that I had that capability.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Are you unable to afford a phone, are you cheap or do you just want to eschew the extra device?

As others have said, there are ways to make it happen. Also, if you don't even have a cellular-enabled ipad and are dependent on the wifi signals of others, are you sure the experience will be that great?

To answer your question… Apple has a phone; there is no motivation to add phone capabilities to the tablet.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
. Why Apple does not make a phone-capable iPad? As some of you know, the 8" Galaxy Note has phone capability built-in.

Apple isn't making phablets because they don't want to. Why they don't want to is moot. If you wanted a phablet you should have bought that.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Are you unable to afford a phone, are you cheap or do you just want to eschew the extra device?

As others have said, there are ways to make it happen. Also, if you don't even have a cellular-enabled ipad and are dependent on the wifi signals of others, are you sure the experience will be that great?

To answer your question… Apple has a phone; there is no motivation to add phone capabilities to the tablet.

I have a Galaxy Note 2. The size is a bit small for me as I also want to annotate pdf. I don't want to keep zooming in and out all the time. The to-be-released Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 may be too big and heavy for me. I am looking for something like a 8" version of Galaxy Note 3. I don't want to carry a 15" rMBP, a Galaxy Note 2 and a tablet all the time. So, I am looking into the possibility of something like an iPad Air with phone capability.

As I am working in foreign country with uncertainty on the length of stay, I don't want to sign contracts and get stuck with those phone plans. Using pre-paid data plan could be expensive. That is why I use wifi. I make phone calls only occasionally but when I do, I expect high quality and reliability. So, the apps suggested don't work for me.

Too bad Samsung does not include a stylus on the new 8" Galaxy Pro.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Simple

Apple want you to use iMessage.

and the NSA may find it simpler to gather information on you with iMessage? :eek:

Actually, the NSA has admitted that they can't hack iMessages and are pissed at Apple because of it. Especially because Apple won't give them the information in messages because they claim they can't identify the exact messages related to a particular user to service a warrant and they with give the NSA a golden ticket into the system as that would violate the privacy of everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
the MagicJack phone application appears to work fine on the iPad as long as you have good network connectivity.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Different product, I can't see why I'd want to use my rMini as a phone when I have an iPhone that will work better. Plus its much easier carrying my iPhone around in my pocket. I do take my rMini with me much of the time, but not everywhere - that would not be feasible in my case.

Agreed. For me it would be redundant. Any place I would take a tablet, I would already have my phone with me.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Not understanding the reluctance to use Skype. I use Skype voice regularly without a problem. I also use Whistle on the iPad with very good results. I do not attempt Skype video as it can be dicey with unknown quality wifi.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I'm confused. If you're carrying a computer, why can't you use that to annotate PDFs? What am I missing? :confused:
I have a Galaxy Note 2. The size is a bit small for me as I also want to annotate pdf.
[snip]
I don't want to carry a 15" rMBP, a Galaxy Note 2 and a tablet all the time. So, I am looking into the possibility of something like an iPad Air with phone capability.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Not understanding the reluctance to use Skype.

Skype has been in the news recently with allegations of ties to the FBI and NSA. And a list of other security concerns listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype#Security_and_privacy

I know that if I had no other influences, but needed a product like Skype, that alone would be enough to consider other possible options.

The wikipedia document also comments that Skype utilizes RSA key negotiation and encryption technology. RSA is also getting bad press currently.

I, personally, have never used Skype, and as such have no opinion as to the quality of their service, be it good or bad. You have stated it to be good and I have no reason to doubt your comments.

Unless either forced, or under duress due to unforeseen circumstances, I would never use Skype due to their ownership by the evil empire.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
You can use FaceTime without the camera-there is no need to...I laugh at people who have galaxy notes and other huge phablets because why would anyone want to hold something so big up to their ear when making a call...imagine how ridiculous it would be if you were walking down the street in New York and everyone was holding their ipad air up to their ear talking:)

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
You can use FaceTime without the camera-there is no need to...I laugh at people who have galaxy notes and other huge phablets because why would anyone want to hold something so big up to their ear when making a call...imagine how ridiculous it would be if you were walking down the street in New York and everyone was holding their ipad air up to their ear talking:)

Yeah, I agree. Just doesn't make sense. I can see some usefulness of being able to do video chat type stuff on the iPad air but you can already do that.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Putting a phone capability in a tablet really is more a thing of convenience. I'd like to be able to say, look up a business, and be able to call them from the comfort of my tablet instead of having to go find my iPhone to dial the number. Just like the camera in an iPad, it doesn't get used as often, but it is awfully convenient to have it. We already have LTE in our iPads, doesn't seem like it'd be a stretch to make voice calls once VoLTE is launched.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Skype has been in the news recently with allegations of ties to the FBI and NSA. And a list of other security concerns listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype#Security_and_privacy

I know that if I had no other influences, but needed a product like Skype, that alone would be enough to consider other possible options.

The wikipedia document also comments that Skype utilizes RSA key negotiation and encryption technology. RSA is also getting bad press currently.

I, personally, have never used Skype, and as such have no opinion as to the quality of their service, be it good or bad. You have stated it to be good and I have no reason to doubt your comments.

Unless either forced, or under duress due to unforeseen circumstances, I would never use Skype due to their ownership by the evil empire.

If you are talking on a phone (wired or wireless), surfing the internet, sending email or talking to yourself in the bathroom, the NSA , FBI or locals can get you if they want you. No reason to be paranoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.