Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
hi,can someone clarify which is better,i have MBA 2013 base model with 128gb flash storage,i allready install windows 7 x64 via bootcamp 5 because i need win for some programs,but win is taking a lot of storage since im limited with storage is it better option to make a virtual mashine with vmware fusion or virtual box or should i keep win with bootcamp,not sure if virtual machine is taking ram or storage?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's my $.02 on bootcamp vs. virtualization.

Advantages of bootcamp
Actually booting into windows, you get the best performance, particularly important for applications that are demanding.

Disadvantages
You need to set the partition size and make it bigger then needed for future growth
You need to boot out of OSX
Cooling, drivers may not take advantage of the lower powered technology built into the laptop resulting in more heat and less battery.

Advantages of virtualization.
No need to boot out of OSX to access windows
you can create a small windows virtual disk that will grow as needed.
Easier to share data between the environments.

Disadvantages
Slower then natively booting in
The OS does not have direct access to hardware

My advise, if you don't need to spend the majority of time in Windows and you're not playing games, then virtualziation, i.e., vmware is a better solution

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
yes i don't need for games,just for simple coding programming with apache,my sql and php,so does vm takes to be installed ram memory or taking storage like on bootcamp?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.