Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I need cheering up at the moment and need a game that is a blast and fun to play and I like RPGs so, would Fallout New Vegas fill this gap for me ?

How does this play under Bootcamp ?

LowVoltage

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
I need cheering up at the moment and need a game that is a blast and fun to play and I like RPGs so, would Fallout New Vegas fill this gap for me ?

It just so happens I'm playing FO:NV right now. It plays very well under Bootcamp, and it will like your 6870 card. Since you like RPGs, I don't have to warn you about dedicating some time to such a game. This is my second play through, this time with the DLCs already installed so it will be a complete experience in one go.

I'll give you a tip, though: Go through the Geforce tweak guide for optimizing your performance. A few modifications of the .ini config files will help to avoid some random crash-to-desktop situations and generally improve your experience. The guide will also remind you to pay attention to which config file you're changing. One is the default config, while the other with the same file name in a different folder is the real one the game relies on for your personal setup. I forget which folder has which file, but the tweak guide will clarify for you.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
It just so happens I'm playing FO:NV right now. It plays very well under Bootcamp, and it will like your 6870 card. Since you like RPGs, I don't have to warn you about dedicating some time to such a game. This is my second play through, this time with the DLCs already installed so it will be a complete experience in one go.

I'll give you a tip, though: Go through the Geforce tweak guide for optimizing your performance. A few modifications of the .ini config files will help to avoid some random crash-to-desktop situations and generally improve your experience. The guide will also remind you to pay attention to which config file you're changing. One is the default config, while the other with the same file name in a different folder is the real one the game relies on for your personal setup. I forget which folder has which file, but the tweak guide will clarify for you.

Thank you very much for all this information I think I will give it a go :)

Don't like the look of wading through that Windows tweaking guide its huge :( but will give the other stuff a try.

Last edited:

LowVoltage

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you very much for all this information I think I will give it a go :)

Don't like the look of wading through that Windows tweaking guide its huge :( but will give the other stuff a try.

Actually, you can skip most of the pages regarding the graphics settings that are available to you from the launch menu. Your good card will likely cause the automatic selections to be High or Ultra. The better parts of the tweaking guide towards the end show you where to make changes to memory allowances, whether or not to allow the game to cache scenery ahead of you, the number of CPU cores allotted to the game, things like that. Even with the latest updates the Fallout engine had its share of glitches, and many of them can be side-stepped with the tweaks. Fallout 3 and NV are already goofy at times by design, but some of the weirdness from glitches can be frustrating (NPCs not following on the right path, items dropping through the floor, etc.).

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Actually, you can skip most of the pages regarding the graphics settings that are available to you from the launch menu. Your good card will likely cause the automatic selections to be High or Ultra. The better parts of the tweaking guide towards the end show you where to make changes to memory allowances, whether or not to allow the game to cache scenery ahead of you, the number of CPU cores allotted to the game, things like that. Even with the latest updates the Fallout engine had its share of glitches, and many of them can be side-stepped with the tweaks. Fallout 3 and NV are already goofy at times by design, but some of the weirdness from glitches can be frustrating (NPCs not following on the right path, items dropping through the floor, etc.).

Actually when I first loaded it to take a quick look it said it was choosing the best options for my machine, and guess what ? It set everything to LOW :) Not looked through the other tweaks yet, but will before I play.

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Actually when I first loaded it to take a quick look it said it was choosing the best options for my machine, and guess what ? It set everything to LOW :) Not looked through the other tweaks yet, but will before I play.

Bummer. I guess you'll need to be thinking about finally getting a new current system then so you can play stuff like this. I'd recommend the current top end 27" iMac personally - genuine Apple workmanship all the way!

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

By the way, you can set this up with Wineskin and skip the rebooting if you want to. There should be pre-rolled wrappers by the Porting Team for it. I rolled my own and in limited testing it seems fine.

Here is one useful tip for you. Both Fallout 3 and Fallout NV start off with ridiculous mouse acceleration by default which will probably drive you nuts. There is a good post in the Steam forum for the game that explains what options text file to edit to fix this so the mouse behaves normally. Why they defaulted to the mouse flying all over the place nobody knows.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Bummer. I guess you'll need to be thinking about finally getting a new current system then so you can play stuff like this. I'd recommend the current top end 27" iMac personally - genuine Apple workmanship all the way!

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

By the way, you can set this up with Wineskin and skip the rebooting if you want to. There should be pre-rolled wrappers by the Porting Team for it. I rolled my own and in limited testing it seems fine.

Here is one useful tip for you. Both Fallout 3 and Fallout NV start off with ridiculous mouse acceleration by default which will probably drive you nuts. There is a good post in the Steam forum for the game that explains what options text file to edit to fix this so the mouse behaves normally. Why they defaulted to the mouse flying all over the place nobody knows.

I think the mouse thing is all laid out in that tweak file I have been pointed towards, which I have printed out, not looked through it yet properly. The wrapper for New Vegas on The Porting Teams site does say that it runs choppy in places, and does not mention anything about steam.

LowVoltage

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Wha-?!

Hmm, well I suspect there was some kind of goof up with the system checking there. I'm using a rather dated Radeon HD4870 and NV set itself to High or Ultra... I can't remember which right now. But anyway, you should be able to handle High with more than enough leeway to up the advanced settings controls for things like reflections in the water and distant object fades.

----------

I want to know is it good or bad??? :mad:

Oh, the game is a blast! It's a nice change from fantasy RPGs. Some people might not like the fact that there are choices in the game with no good-all-around outcomes. One group benefits while another is left hanging, you can't save everybody, that kind of thing. The DLCs for both FO3 and FO:NV are nice, too. A couple of them are dedicated to being horror-themed (from my perspective, anyway).

FO3 and FO:NV are from the same folks who made the Elder Scrolls games, and if Skyrim is any indication of what FO4 will look like I'm pretty stoked for the next title to arrive.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
FO:NV will run great on a 6870.
I did play it back when it was released on a GTX285 and the 6870 should be similar in performance. I'm pretty sure I ran everything on very high/ultra @60 FPS.

The game is great. I think i spent like 60-80 hours on it.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
FO:NV will run great on a 6870.
I did play it back when it was released on a GTX285 and the 6870 should be similar in performance. I'm pretty sure I ran everything on very high/ultra @60 FPS.

The game is great. I think i spent like 60-80 hours on it.

Thanks, I will whack everything up on high and see what happens :)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
For those here that have experience with this game I have problem with it already.

After doing the beginning part with the Doc and setting up my character I left his building, this is when the fun started.

I was just standing there looking around 9 And very nice it looked on Ultra setting ), firstly a block of squares kept flicking on and off on the right hand side of the screen, then an overlay screen came up about V.A.T.S with a figure in blue and that was my lot for quite a while. Did not matter what I pressed ( I am using a wireless 360 controller ) nothing happened, but things where sort of happening on the screen, like the save game screen opened itself, selections where being made, it was almost like somebody else was choosing options but in a very very slow erratic way.

After watching this for a while I started hitting keys on the keyboard and it all suddenly put itself back to normal like nothing had happened.

Very strange, any ideas anyone ?

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
VATS is a feature in FONV and FO3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault-Tec_Assisted_Targeting_System#V.A.T.S.

The flickering boxes sound like a dying gfx card tho..

Yea I know what VATS is it was the way it just came up as I was looking around, then it went into the save game screen and did what I described before.

The boxes where not that type of graphic card going wrong boxes, these where a group of nine boxes, I think they may of had numbers next to them and they where about the size of the keys on your keyboard, and where just
empty squares, they flickered on and off when I pressed the thumb pad on 360 controller.

LowVoltage

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Probably hot keys

Yea I know what VATS is it was the way it just came up as I was looking around, then it went into the save game screen and did what I described before.

The boxes where not that type of graphic card going wrong boxes, these where a group of nine boxes, I think they may of had numbers next to them and they where about the size of the keys on your keyboard, and where just
empty squares, they flickered on and off when I pressed the thumb pad on 360 controller.

Your controller is probably trying to access the hot key feature. You can assign certain commands to keyboard numbers 1 and 3 through 8. Although that wouldn't add up to nine boxes... That's my first guess. I did a quick search for PC users with 360 controllers. Some reported issues, but nothing like what you're describing. Some people thought they needed to install drivers, but others said if you're using Win 7 you don't have to, although many said having the controller plugged in before starting the game was critical.

I'm afraid I'm a mouse + keyboard guy, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. Sorry!

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Your controller is probably trying to access the hot key feature. You can assign certain commands to keyboard numbers 1 and 3 through 8. Although that wouldn't add up to nine boxes... That's my first guess. I did a quick search for PC users with 360 controllers. Some reported issues, but nothing like what you're describing. Some people thought they needed to install drivers, but others said if you're using Win 7 you don't have to, although many said having the controller plugged in before starting the game was critical.

I'm afraid I'm a mouse + keyboard guy, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. Sorry!

Ah yes I think you may have sorted the issue, controller should be plugged in before starting the game, nine squares was a guess, but trying to access the key feature sounds good to me, thanks :)

Last edited:

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV

No. It's a game about a post apocalyptic Vegas. The place where dreams go to die. Vegas is full of people losing money, alcoholics, and hookers. Other than the hookers, I don't see any of the rest of that cheering me up.

Other than that, it's an excellent game. :D

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
No. It's a game about a post apocalyptic Vegas. The place where dreams go to die. Vegas is full of people losing money, alcoholics, and hookers. Other than the hookers, I don't see any of the rest of that cheering me up.

Other than that, it's an excellent game. :D

Nice reply :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I decided to fire up Fallout NV on steam - sadly its crashing at the start of the game. The point of loading a game, or starting a new one. The cut scene plays just fine, when starting a new game, but once the game proper starts, it dies.

I've been trying all sort of remedies but no luck. I suspect its related to the fact I'm running a RX 7800XT. I may try it on my Razer, but I'd rather play it on my desktop. It does run on my Xbox X, so I have that, I suppose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I bit the bullet and fired up my razer and attached it to my monitor. I'll run my stuff off of that for the time being. As expected and hoped for. Fallout New Vegas runs seamlessly on the NVidia based laptop. One benefit of using the Razer over my desktop is seeing how quiet things are. My desktop isn't loud, at least I didn't think it was, but my home office is whisper quiet now

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I bit the bullet and fired up my razer and attached it to my monitor. I'll run my stuff off of that for the time being. As expected and hoped for. Fallout New Vegas runs seamlessly on the NVidia based laptop. One benefit of using the Razer over my desktop is seeing how quiet things are. My desktop isn't loud, at least I didn't think it was, but my home office is whisper quiet now
A maybe jumping back into F4 again, but I own both F3 and FNV, played F3 long ago, before Oblivion, but quit it, have not played NV, and I’m wondering as far as game mechanics, how much different these games are?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I got the game going on my razer. I'm incurring some really odd issues. I cannot load a game, as soon as I start NV up, but rather I have to select new game and then hit escape to leave the new game intro and then hit escape again and select load game. If I just select load game from the get go, the loading process starts and just stays there. No matter what I searched and tried no go. At least I have a work around

I also found that the latest AMD GPUs just don't work with Fallout NV, something in the recent set of drivers is breaking the game, and that's why it continually crashes when trying to play it on my desktop

The game itself is really fun, though the running speed is rather slow and like any bethesda (yes Obsidian made the game) game, there's a lot of walking to get to the various points.

I'm finding less need to collect junk, you can use spare weapons of the same type to repair weapons, that is use multiple 9mm handguns to repair the one 9mm handgun you're using

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
SPECIAL works similar but differently at the same time. A lot of guides state to ignore Charisma, and put your points in as follows

S - 5 to 6 (higher for melee builds)
P - 6 to 7 (for gunner builds)
E - 7 to 8 ( directly related to HP and the higher the better)
C - 1
I - 8 to 10 (the higher the INT the more skill points you get)
A - 5 to 7 (useful for various gun based builds)
L - low, unless you want to a complete Vats/Crit build

Skills - where you can increase your speech, guns, medicine, lockpicking, sneaking etc.

Perks like fallout 4, you get a list of perks to apply, this happens every other level increase. Traits include bloody mess, commando (different then FO4),

I have sneak set to 55 and so far its all but useless, So far the game mechanics are such that you don't sneak around very much, and I think I wasted too point points for that skill

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unlike other Bethesda games, NV has both a karma and reputation to deal with. Stealing, regardless if you're caught will lower your karma. Also choice does matter.

I hate how that if you exhaust you tries in hacking a terminal, you're locked out - you're done, no waiting 10 seconds and retrying. I think there's a perk to allow you to keep trying, but I don't have that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.