Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I currently have the MacBook Air 11" and previously had the old unibody MacBook Pro 15".

I really want a 15" rMBP (main thing I want is the dedicated graphics card, plus the large screen and also the retina display) but I am concerned about the weight and portability of it.

My old unibody MBP was a tank and quite hard to carry, frankly.

Any advice regarding the portability of the current rMBP? (Quite hard for me to tell when the rMBPs in the Apple stores are chained to the desks.)

Thanks.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
It's not onerous to carry it about. Not as easy as the 13" but I don't have any problems with mine. I used to carry a 7lb Sony Vaio about which was almost 20" across!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you think the the older MBP was a tank, then clearly the 15" rMBP will be the same thing. Yes, its slightly thinner and lighter but overall the form factor is the same.

Personally I don't have a problem with the 15" rMBP, it fits nicely in either the brain bag I have, or a case I use depending on my travel needs.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
If you think the unibody MBP 15" was a too heavy and bulky, the retina version will not offer you a significant improvement. The size of the screen is the same and it's what contributes to the bulkiness the most, as even the non-retina model was fairly skinny. In my experience, the retina laptops feel a bit heavier than you'd expect them to, based on how thin they are.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I currently have the MacBook Air 11" and previously had the old unibody MacBook Pro 15".

I really want a 15" rMBP (main thing I want is the dedicated graphics card, plus the large screen and also the retina display) but I am concerned about the weight and portability of it.

Any advice regarding the portability of the current rMBP? (Quite hard for me to tell when the rMBPs in the Apple stores are chained to the desks.)

Thanks.

If you owned a MBP 15" (2,4kg) you'll feel pretty comfortable with the rMBP 15" (around 2kg). You won't feel so comfortable with its unevenly yellowish or burned-in screen. I don't recommend rMBPs until Apple solves color accuracy and image retention issues. There is a topic about the issue with 614 pages at Apple Support Community. Try using your 11" Air a little longer until the screengate has a happy end.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If you owned a MBP 15" (2,4kg) you'll feel pretty comfortable with the rMBP 15" (around 2kg). You won't feel so comfortable with its unevenly yellowish or burned-in screen. I don't recommend rMBPs until Apple solves color accuracy and image retention issues. There is a topic about the issue with 614 pages at Apple Support Community. Try using your 11" Air a little longer until the screengate has a happy end.

I have no problems with mine..

Just wanted the small voices to be heard.

offthehook

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013
If you find the 15'' Retina too heavy you should hit the gym ASAP!
It is lighter than my old 2009 13'' MbP and I carry my 15'' around every day!

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.

Right. I thought the image retention issues was to do with the poor integrated graphics card (remedied by the new, better Haswell one?) as opposed to the screen itself?

I'm not in immediate need of a new laptop. I'm sure my Air can go on for at least a year, if not two more years.

It's just that I'm charting in advance. If the rumoured 12" MBA (similar to the old Powerbook G4 12"(?)) is true, then I'd be getting that.

Wouldn't mind (in my dream) base 8GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD (upgradable to 16GB RAM and 768GB SSD) for such a thin laptop.

If you find the 15'' Retina too heavy you should hit the gym ASAP!
It is lighter than my old 2009 13'' MbP and I carry my 15'' around every day!

It's nothing to do with 'hitting the gym ASAP' or anything at all.

It's a matter of convenience.

Same argument with xyz lbs/kg laptop. You could even bring a desktop around with you all day, and just place it on your shoulder when walking around!

'Can't move around a desktop all day?! Hit the gym!'

Jesting aside, I quite like the fact that holding and moving the MBA around is effortless.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Right. I thought the image retention issues was to do with the poor integrated graphics card (remedied by the new, better Haswell one?) as opposed to the screen itself?

My first display on my early-2013 rMBP suffered from image retention but was evenly tinted. It was overall pleasant despite the retention problem. The display I have now suffers from uneven yellow. Maybe I'll try another screen replacement, but this is not fun if you don't live near from an Apple Store.

I found that 1st-gen Retina iPads also suffered from yellowing and sometimes it went away after a couple of weeks (the yellowing was rumoured to be an uncured, yellow glue which needed some heating to go away). I doubt the tint issue in the rMBP will be solved this way, but who knows?

Moosebear

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014
I bought a refurb 15" then returned it and got a new 13". For me, what I found was that the size was not convenient or comfy for relaxing on the couch or in bed or holding on my lap. For actual work it was great though.

But with the weight for transport, it didn't feel portable enough.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
coming from 2007 MBP to 2012 rMBP, I compared both when I carried with my messenger bag and I found out both is hurting my shoulder. That is why I bought an iPad to carry with me all the times. :apple:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
It's nothing to do with 'hitting the gym ASAP' or anything at all.

It's a matter of convenience.

This. I'm a big guy, but I find that everything over 13" gets quite bothersome when trying to work somewhere without access to a desk, i.e. holding the computer in your lap, in a plane etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I understand the idea of the 15" not being as portable as the 13" (or the 11") but the size/weight increase is well worth the performance and screen real estate improvements imo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.