Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rndman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
I know, most of us do not power down their desktop but just set the power management so that it sleeps when not in use.
But if the desktop is used only for a few hours say in the evening and morning, would it make sense to power it down instead.
This not from the point of view of power consumption, but from the overall life of all the components.
or will it have adverse effect, e.g. the boot disk has to do the work of loading the OS at every start up and unloading at shutdown..
What do you guys think?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lifespan wise its better to let the machine sleep instead of turning off and turning on. Its a bit more harsh to turn a computer on then to keep it in sleep mode.

All things being equal however this debate has been discussed so much over the span of years, that there is absolutely no consensus.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
not a problem

You will most likely want to buy a new machine before it dies.

My wife always tells me expensive bags should last longer but keep buying new ones without using until wear out.

eutexian

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Mapperley, Nottingham UK
sleep mode consumes about 1.25w - I have read that for the average American this adds 1 cent to the weekly electricity bill - this for 8hrs in sleep mode.

I'm not entirely sure how much electricity is consumed when the Mini boots up but its probably safe to assume its not far off the Max - 85w. But even if its half that its pretty much a no brainer to me.

I reboot mine maybe once a month. booting it daily is money down the drain as far as Im concerned. FWIW Apple recommend you use sleep mode unless you're away from the machine for more than a couple of days.

rndman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
sleep mode consumes about 1.25w - I have read that for the average American this adds 1 cent to the weekly electricity bill - this for 8hrs in sleep mode.

I'm not entirely sure how much electricity is consumed when the Mini boots up but its probably safe to assume its not far off the Max - 85w. But even if its half that its pretty much a no brainer to me.

I reboot mine maybe once a month. booting it daily is money down the drain as far as Im concerned. FWIW Apple recommend you use sleep mode unless you're away from the machine for more than a couple of days.

Ok. The consensus here at least seems "sleep" and not "reboot"..
Sounds good...
Thank you all for your responses..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.