Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I am about to travel and will have my mac air. I might need something on my iMac at home. I used to use logmein free for my old pC.

Is there something like that for the mac.

I know it has something called Remote Desktop on it. Will that work? but looking for a free way!!

I was looking on youtube and saw some ways to do it using VNC and downloading some Chicken of the VNC.

Before downloading I wanted to get some ideas from people on here. and if there are other options.

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd recommend teamviewer or logmein. I use gotomypc but they charge you. All three will install a small app on the client computer and then afterwards you'll be able to remote into your mac.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Is team viewer free? I have looked at it and don't see the free version.
I will go with logmein..since I have an acct..I just saw where it does work with a mac. thanks…

I have my mac setup to never sleep. does anyone know if the screen saver is going if it will work. I will test it today.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is team viewer free? I have looked at it and don't see the free version.
Yep, its right here:
Teamviewer_free.png

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
I tried all the best ones. I like Logmein the best. I linked to my detailed reason why I liked it best but it got removed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute.
I tried all the best ones. I like Logmein the best. I linked to my detailed reason why I liked it best but it got removed.
I prefer TeamViewer over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently. Also, TeamViewer doesn't affect audio settings on OS X, as many have reported that LogMeIn does.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute.

I prefer TeamViewer over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently. Also, TeamViewer doesn't affect audio settings on OS X, as many have reported that LogMeIn does.

Cool i will try the file transfer. I missed that. Jump desktop was the only one that changed my audio output.

Hrhnick

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
Since you have two Macs why not try Back to My Mac? It allows screen sharing (Remote Desktop) and remote file browsing, best of all it's already built in and well integrated. When you're away from home, your iMac will simply show up as a shared computer on your MacBook Air no matter where you are.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2572

Mark72501

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Got an email today from LogMeIn saying they are discontinuing the free service and I must subscribe or it would cease working.

Guess who is using Teamviewer now...

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
Got an email today from LogMeIn saying they are discontinuing the free service and I must subscribe or it would cease working.

Guess who is using Teamviewer now...

Me too. Now I will look at jump desktop, wyse pocket cloud, screens vnc, and vnc viewer. Logmein was free for 10 years. I just got done obsessing over which one to use. I finally picked logmein and now they remove the free. lol Bad move now they will loose all their no paying members lol

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
VLC: ARD Screen Sharing or Vine Server for Lion

I'm a bit over dealing with the 'free' BS these companies pull, whether it's Google changing Gmail constantly (and closing services) or LogMein giving practically no notice.

Left Google's realm, so now I need to configure the old school VNC. It looks like Lion 10.7 has some hiccups with the internal Screen Sharing. I'm debating whether I should use the Apple Remote Desktop Screen Sharing or Vine Server.

If I use the internal screen sharing for Lion, it looks like I need to do the following:
Download and extract ARDAgent 3.4 - https://discussions.apple.com/message/15771051#15771051

Getting straight to the remote Lion desktop - http://krypted.com/mac-security/connect-to-currently-logged-in-user-using-ard/

Use something like DNS-O-Matic Updater

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm a bit over dealing with the 'free' BS these companies pull, whether it's Google changing Gmail constantly (and closing services) or LogMein giving practically no notice.

Left Google's realm, so now I need to configure the old school VNC. It looks like Lion 10.7 has some hiccups with the internal Screen Sharing. I'm debating whether I should use the Apple Remote Desktop Screen Sharing or Vine Server.

If I use the internal screen sharing for Lion, it looks like I need to do the following:
Download and extract ARDAgent 3.4 - https://discussions.apple.com/message/15771051#15771051

Getting straight to the remote Lion desktop - http://krypted.com/mac-security/connect-to-currently-logged-in-user-using-ard/

Use something like DNS-O-Matic Updater
TeamViewer is a much simpler approach than any of that. I can usually establish a TeamViewer connection with someone who has never used it before in less than a minute. You don't need all those more complex methods. TeamViewer works with any OS X version released in the past 5-6 years, and with any Windows version from XP to Windows 8. It's also free for personal use.

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
I've seen a lot of these threads and no one ever mentions using Back To My Mac. I use it all of the time and it's a part of the OS. Just hit command K and I'm screen sharing with my Mac at home. If I need to transfer files, I just mount the hard drive I need. Couldn't be any easier.

I use Logmein on my iPhone, but as the person above said, the free version will soon be gone and I'll need something new for that.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Teamviewer

Yep, another LogMeIn user jumping ship...

I've had a look at Teamviewer and have found a couple of issues with it so far:

It's REALLY slow in comparison - all the login settings are the same as LMI and I can't see why it lags so much. When it comes to actually using remote software like InDesign for instance, far too slow to do anything meaningful. Plus, unless I'm missing something, I can't get it to do full screen. According to the documentation, there should be 'scaled', 'normal' and 'full screen' modes but the full screen one just isn't there. I'm using iMacs at 1920x1200 at both ends, but full screen mode won't work. Once these issues are set, I'm made up, but until then, what other alternatives can be considered to be as good as LMI - I only need a once or twice a week login and I don't need fancy file transfers and all that sort of thing, so paying for premium LMI isn't worth it to me...

Also, from what I can see, both machines need to have TeamViewer OPEN in order to work. What happens if the machine at the other end is forced to restart? Can it not be connected to again until TV is somehow opened once again? With LMI, the remote machine is accessible even before its password is entered.

Last edited:

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
Yep, another LogMeIn user jumping ship...

It's REALLY slow in comparison - all the login settings are the same as LMI and I can't see why it lags so much. When it comes to actually using remote software like InDesign for instance, far too slow to do anything meaningful. Plus, unless I'm missing something, I can't get it to do full screen. According to the documentation, there should be 'scaled', 'normal' and 'full screen' modes but the full screen one just isn't there. I'm using iMacs at 1920x1200 at both ends, but full screen mode won't work. Once these issues are set, I'm made up, but until then, what other alternatives can be considered to be as good as LMI - I only need a once or twice a week login and I don't need fancy file transfers and all that sort of thing, so paying for premium LMI isn't worth it to me...

Also, from what I can see, both machines need to have TeamViewer OPEN in order to work. What happens if the machine at the other end is forced to restart? Can it not be connected to again until TV is somehow opened once again? With LMI, the remote machine is accessible even before its password is entered.

I am using remotix vnc now that logmein took a dump. It is the only one i have found that is as fast as logmein. In fact it does everything just a tad better than jump desktop. The only thing is that unless I figure out how to port forward and all that crap I can't use it outside my home.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

It's REALLY slow in comparison - all the login settings are the same as LMI and I can't see why it lags so much.
Check View > Quality > Optimize speed
Also, the speed depends on the internet connection speed at both ends.

Plus, unless I'm missing something, I can't get it to do full screen. According to the documentation, there should be 'scaled', 'normal' and 'full screen' modes but the full screen one just isn't there. I'm using iMacs at 1920x1200 at both ends, but full screen mode won't work.
I believe it's intentionally designed to not go to complete full screen, so you can still access TeamViewer controls, as well as other items on your local machine, such as your Dock.

This works with the Windows version, where you can restart the remote Windows box and the TV connection is established before login. This isn't the case with OS X, as the TV connection is only available after login. That is a sometimes frustrating limitation for me, trying to manage remote Macs.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Check View > Quality > Optimize speed
Also, the speed depends on the internet connection speed at both ends.

I've got it optimised for speed, and I've got a minimum reliable 20Mb connection but still compared to LMI it's frustratingly slow...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've got it optimised for speed, and I've got a minimum reliable 20Mb connection but still compared to LMI it's frustratingly slow...

I'm not sure what could be happening, as I've used TeamViewer for many years and have never had performance issues that weren't attributed to internet connection speed.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Also, from what I can see, both machines need to have TeamViewer OPEN in order to work. What happens if the machine at the other end is forced to restart? Can it not be connected to again until TV is somehow opened once again?

You need to enabled "unattended access" or install the host-only version of TeamViewer on the computer you want to connect to.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You need to enabled "unattended access" or install the host-only version of TeamViewer on the computer you want to connect to.
Even with that enabled, you can't connect to a Mac before it logs in.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
I've seen a lot of these threads and no one ever mentions using Back To My Mac. I use it all of the time and it's a part of the OS. Just hit command K and I'm screen sharing with my Mac at home.

DUH this could be the reason:
Currently a MobileMe subscription at Amazon is going for $58.55 versus Apple’s $99 a year. When you purchase that MobileMe subscription from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.