Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
We have two iPad Airs in our house and they both suffer from random reboots every so often. It could be in Safari, a game or otherwise and it randomly shows the black screen with white Apple logo. It is, frankly, weird. Almost annoying. Having spoken with other Air owners I am almost convinced it's iOS. Can anybody shed some light on this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My iPhone and rMini do this from time to time, though very infrequently.

If its happening fairly regularly I'd not chalk it up to iOS but rather take it back to Apple

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
We have two iPad Airs in our house and they both suffer from random reboots every so often. It could be in Safari, a game or otherwise and it randomly shows the black screen with white Apple logo. It is, frankly, weird. Almost annoying. Having spoken with other Air owners I am almost convinced it's iOS. Can anybody shed some light on this?

It is iOS.

Some have had improved their iPads by doing a restore from physically plugging into iTunes. I think it might be placebo effect, but there could be some merit.

Apple has acknowledged the frequent 'crashing' and announced that a fix is coming out "soon" in an update.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
My iPhone and rMini do this from time to time, though very infrequently.

If its happening fairly regularly I'd not chalk it up to iOS but rather take it back to Apple

Chalk it up to ios. My friend and I both got Airs around the same time this month. They both restart almost daily. Annoying but I'm 99% sure it's not hardware. I had a 5s replaced because of this issue and the current one does the exact same thing.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Chalk it up to ios. My friend and I both got Airs around the same time this month. They both restart almost daily. Annoying but I'm 99% sure it's not hardware. I had a 5s replaced because of this issue and the current one does the exact same thing.

I think it's a combination of both iOS 7 and the A7. I recently bought a rMini and it's doing the same thing. My iPad 2 has been rock solid running iOS 7 apart from performance issues. Hopefully iOS 7.1 takes care of these problems.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
It's iOS. When I first updated my 5 to iOS 7, it was rebooting once ever couple of days. It got better with each iOS update. Now I have moved to a 5S and a retina iPad Mini both on 7.0.4, and the phone reboots once in a blue moon. The Mini I just got a couple days ago, so it's too early to tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.