Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
For my 2012 rMBP. A Crucial M500 960gb. Next step is change over the drives.

Can someone tell me if this method will work fine ( I've changed loads of non retina MBPs hard drives, so familiar with the process - just never a rMBP one ).

- Everything on my rMBP has been backed up to an external drive ( USB 3 )

- Wipe and format the existing 500gb drive in the MBP - I intend to sell on to get some money back.

- Take off back plate and remove old drive. Then install new drive ( fresh from box ). Back plate back on.

- Boot the rMBP from the external drive.

- Use Diskdocktor to fine and initialise the new drive. Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ). Partition drive into two volumes.

- Use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my external drive in its entirety.

- Shut down. Reboot.

- Enjoy 960gb of living space:D:D

Thats the plan. Any Thoughts?

cheers

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013

Can someone tell me if this method will work fine ( I've changed loads of non retina MBPs hard drives, so familiar with the process - just never a rMBP one ).

- Wipe and format the existing 500gb drive in the MBP - I intend to sell on to get some money back.

- Take off back plate and remove old drive. Then install new drive ( fresh from box ). Back plate back on.

- Use Diskdocktor to fine and initialise the new drive. Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ). Partition drive into two volumes.

- Shut down. Reboot.

cheers

Ops, i believe the hard drive on the rmp is glued to the motherboard..

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

- Shut down. Reboot.

cheers

Disk Utility will offer to initialize the drive as soon as you get to the desktop you can use that. For the CCC make sure you do the recovery hd step it should offer you so you get the rescue partition created as well. Other than those details it should just work.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Will you be using CCC to copy the recovery partition as well?

I don't use Diskdocktor, so I cannot comment on that, any reason not to use Apple's Disk Utility?

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Thanks for the responses.

Mike - I meant Disk Utility ( thought it was called Diskdoctor :roll eyes: )

One of the points I wanted to clarify is that I can put in an un-initialized disk into the rMBP, boot it from an external drive, and then initialise / partition it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the responses.

Mike - I meant Disk Utility ( thought it was called Diskdoctor :roll eyes: )

One of the points I wanted to clarify is that I can put in an un-initialized disk into the rMBP, boot it from an external drive, and then initialise / partition it.

Yup, just like any other hard drive :)

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Uh oh….hmmm may have to return then:(

I thought the drive was upgradeable? Where would you find an upgrade drive then? I went through in some detail with the Crucial guy to check this was possible:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.