Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Due my getting booted from T-Mobile I'm forced to pick up a new Wireless provider. I have to sign a 2 year contract. Just curious which you would choose to keep for the next two years starting today. An iphone 5S or Galaxy S4. To me both have their positives and negatives. But I'm thinking more long term here. In 2 years which phone will hold up the test of time and still be usable and functional?

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Well, since you are asking on an iPhone forum on a site specialized in Apple news, you should pretty much know what people will say around here: go for the iPhone. :p

However, the answer depends on you and how you use your smartphone. There are a lot of questions for you to answer in order for you to find out which is better for you, but when I suggest a new phone to a friend, I normally follor these guidelines:

Go for the Android - in your case the S4 if:
- you like tweaking with electronic devices and have time to work your phone to meet your needs;
- if you don't mind doing your own security in your devices - running antivirus scans, setting up anti theft solutions, etc;
- you had Android devices before and want to keep your purchases (musics, apps, etc.) in the transition

Go for the iOS - iPhone 5s if:
- you don't have the time to make your phone meet your needs perfectly and just want something that 'just works';
- you had iOS devices before and want to keep your purchases (musics, apps, etc.) in the transition

With these guidelines I normally succeed in convincing my friends into buying the right phone for them, and so far everyone is happy with their purchase. I hope this helps :)

EDIT - wrong button pressed when previewing...

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
iPhone if you have any desire for regular software updates and support.

This is a pretty big factor IMO. If you wanted a phone for just a year or 18 months tops, the s4 would be just fine. If you plan on hanging onto a phone for 2 years, the iphone gets my vote.

The only android device I could see keeping for 2 years would be a nexus.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I got an S4 a couple of months ago.

Love it.

BUT I'd actually say the iPhone 5S will be more bulletproof for the next 2 years. I mean the S5 will be coming out in the next couple of months anyway.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Bulletproof phone for the next two years? The iphone will get official updates faster, but the S4 will probably get more software features

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I posted this same question over at Android Central and they were split between the iPhone and actually the Nexus 5. I just wonder how small a 4 inch screen is going to feel in a couple of years.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Go for the Android - in your case the S4 if:

- if you don't mind doing your own security in your devices - running antivirus scans, setting up anti theft solutions, etc;

What a load of old rubbish!

Running anti virus scans and setting up anti theft solutions? I don't know a single person that has done any of that not has any need too!

Maybe you could enlighten me.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I personally think the S4 is the better device, but I'll go with the 5S if your talking 2 years. The S6 and the 6S will be out in 2 years. The S6 will be worlds away from the S4, but the 6S might not be so far apart from the 5S except for the screen size.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I think either would be fine. The GS3 is still getting support almost 2 years later. With the iPhone all you're guaranteed is a new version number, there's no telling what features you'll actually be getting 2 years from now. So yes, you'll probably get more updates with the iPhone but there's more to a smartphone than just waiting for new OS's. Such as actually, ya know....using them.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Get a moto X. Its the best all around phone out right now. Butter smooth, great size, amazing battery life, and the software is top notch.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I have a 4S and Moto G ( cheap version of the X ) and I have to say for $ 199.00 the Moto G is pretty sweet!! I would have to say go for the Moto X, G or Nexus 5 and you should be pretty good to go.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'd recommend the iPhone 5S just because Apple will keep it up to date for the next two years. The Galaxy S4 is a great device though so if you don't care much about updates, want a bigger screen, or you like to geek around with your phone I'd get it.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I have a 4S and Moto G ( cheap version of the X ) and I have to say for $ 199.00 the Moto G is pretty sweet!! I would have to say go for the Moto X, G or Nexus 5 and you should be pretty good to go.

I agree with this. There is honestly not a better all around phone on the market right now. HTC One comes really close, but it is about to updated. I truly think the Moto X gives you just an all around great phone. Maybe it does not have the fastest processor, best screen, camera, or metal build. It does does everything well, and does nothing bad.

The S4 may have a better screen, processor, and camera. But the S4 with TW is laggy. The S4 will give you a great camera, but the over all performance leaves a lot to be desired.

The iPhone 5S has the best camera, and is very smooth. The screen is nothing special anymore, and the size can be an issue. You get great software in iOS that you can't go wrong with. You just have to love iOS out of the box because there is no changing it.

With all that said I am using the iPhone 5s, and I love it. It works for me, and I don't need a huge screen to be happy. If Apple offers one I will go for it because I have larger hands, but I can work with the size now. Moto X just seems like a great all around phone. It does not have any real flaws. It has nothing that stands out either, but that just makes for the most well rounded phone. Right now I don't think you can get a better phone.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Due my getting booted from T-Mobile I'm forced to pick up a new Wireless provider. I have to sign a 2 year contract. Just curious which you would choose to keep for the next two years starting today. An iphone 5S or Galaxy S4. To me both have their positives and negatives. But I'm thinking more long term here. In 2 years which phone will hold up the test of time and still be usable and functional?

Why do you have to sign a contract? If you are thinking of going to AT&T I would purchase a Nexus 5. It's $15 less a month if you don't sign a contract. Plus you're guaranteed to get OS updates.

If you don't want the Nexus 5 for whatever reason I would not sign a contract for an S4 right now. The S5 will be available for purchase in April. You are better off getting something temporary for 2 months (if you don't want the N5).

An iPhone 5S would be fine but you might be envious of the larger iPhone 6 come fall.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I'd recommend the iPhone 5S just because Apple will keep it up to date for the next two years.

Just because it gets an update, doesn't mean it will get all the features. ;)

ios7-features-comparison1.png

Attachments

• ios.png
    ios.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 148

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Get a moto X. Its the best all around phone out right now. Butter smooth, great size, amazing battery life, and the software is top notch.

Get a nexus 5 or moto x off contract. The moto x is only 329.99 right now with no contract.

how will those updates be with lenovo? That is a big question. Also, in 2 years will it still be a good phone? There is a lot of unknowns in the android world with updates....especially with a new company.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
how will those updates be with lenovo? That is a big question. Also, in 2 years will it still be a good phone? There is a lot of unknowns in the android world with updates....especially with a new company.

According the Motorola a few weeks ago, the Moto X was actually done independently from Google, and the fast updates were actually due to the stock android codebase Motorola uses, and working very closely with the carriers, not because of the relationship with Google. Lenovo so far has made it sound like that the current Motorola Management is staying in place, and they will probably try to replace Lenovos current lineup with Motorola's since its pretty indisputably superior. Hopefully they realize the advantage that the stock android base gives them. Its not even just about updates but about performance and usability. Everything on the Moto X is just so polished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.