Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
According the Motorola a few weeks ago, the Moto X was actually done independently from Google, and the fast updates were actually due to the stock android codebase Motorola uses, and working very closely with the carriers, not because of the relationship with Google. Lenovo so far has made it sound like that the current Motorola Management is staying in place, and they will probably try to replace Lenovos current lineup with Motorola's since its pretty indisputably superior. Hopefully they realize the advantage that the stock android base gives them. Its not even just about updates but about performance and usability. Everything on the Moto X is just so polished.

That is definitely good news. I love the moto x, but I would still be hard pressed to keep it for a full 2 years. Really I could never keep any phone that long.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
This is a pretty big factor IMO. If you wanted a phone for just a year or 18 months tops, the s4 would be just fine. If you plan on hanging onto a phone for 2 years, the iphone gets my vote.

The only android device I could see keeping for 2 years would be a nexus.

+1 for the nexus

although apple products do retain their value more than android devices

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
That is definitely good news. I love the moto x, but I would still be hard pressed to keep it for a full 2 years. Really I could never keep any phone that long.

Exactly the reason I just bought a G. There's no high end smart phone that tickles my fancy. Rather than lose a bunch of money reselling those when something good finally comes out, I'm going to use the G until I find something I like.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Why do you have to sign a contract? If you are thinking of going to AT&T I would purchase a Nexus 5. It's $15 less a month if you don't sign a contract. Plus you're guaranteed to get OS updates.

If you don't want the Nexus 5 for whatever reason I would not sign a contract for an S4 right now. The S5 will be available for purchase in April. You are better off getting something temporary for 2 months (if you don't want the N5).

An iPhone 5S would be fine but you might be envious of the larger iPhone 6 come fall.

I didn't have to but I was leaning towards the iphone and wanted to take advantage of the subsidized pricing. I'm not impressed with nexus 5. The washed out screen colors and weak external speaker was a huge turn off for me.

----------

how will those updates be with lenovo? That is a big question. Also, in 2 years will it still be a good phone? There is a lot of unknowns in the android world with updates....especially with a new company.

I agree. For this reason I've decided to get the 5S. I'm content and know it will be supported for at least a little while ;)

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
What a load of old rubbish!

Running anti virus scans and setting up anti theft solutions? I don't know a single person that has done any of that not has any need too!

Maybe you could enlighten me.

Well Dave, I can't blame you for not being familiar with anti theft solutions... I live in Brazil, and here robbery is quite high. In particular, cellphones and other smart devices are preferred by robbers for their high value and small size. Not having a way to lock your device, erase its data and track it down remotely is basically like driving your car without an insurance - someday you will regret not having it.

To mention an example, recently in Sao Paulo there was a huge wave of robberies targeting restaurant near closing time. Robbers wouldn't satisfy with stealling the day's cash, they would rob the customers as well, taking away anything of value - including cellphones. Most of the times they'd get away, except when one of the customers had a solution to track down his/her cellphone and warn the police about the thieves' whereabouts before they got to their slums - where they'd basically become 'untouchable', as our brave policemen simply wouldn't risk their necks going there without a 'good reason'. Noticeably, whenever a case like this reached the television, an iPhone could be seen among the belongings being returned to their owners...:rolleyes:

In case you got interested, this site has a nice comparisson betweeen several Android solutions for tracking your device and protecting your property in case you need it. It is a bit outdated but it's a nice starting point for researching other solutions.

As for the AV, it's no secret that there is an increasing number of malwares targeting smart devices, and Androids are still the main target of these threats. While some of them only threaten your privacy by collecting data without your consent, others can literally turn your amazing smartphone into a zombie, taking control of your device away from your hands. In any case, these malwares end up using up valuable resources, in particular your cellphone data and battery.

In Brazil, most cellphones are prepaid, and your credits reach zero very fast if you even think of using 2G/3G internet on them. Even data plans offered here are way too small and too expensive. A malware can pretty much leave a cellphone owner poor in little time, forcing constant usage of cellular internet. For these reasons I also recommend to anyone buying an Android to choose an AV before starting.

Also, in case you change your mind about AV on Androids, this other site can give you some insight on the best ones available.

I hope to have helped you understand how I think... I do accept any thoughts :D

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I didn't have to but I was leaning towards the iphone and wanted to take advantage of the subsidized pricing. I'm not impressed with nexus 5. The washed out screen colors and weak external speaker was a huge turn off for me.

Honestly the screen colors on the Nexus 5 look great. You might disagree.

I've never tried the speakers but I know everybody feels they are mediocre. Honestly that would annoy me but not be a deal breaker. It's pretty rare that I use the speakers on my phone for podcasts/music. Your usage may vary.

Screen size is of course subjective. Nexus 5 gets the nod here IMO. Again, subjective.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Well Dave, I can't blame you for not being familiar with anti theft solutions... I live in Brazil, and here robbery is quite high. In particular, cellphones and other smart devices are preferred by robbers for their high value and small size. Not having a way to lock your device, erase its data and track it down remotely is basically like driving your car without an insurance - someday you will regret not having it.

To mention an example, recently in Sao Paulo there was a huge wave of robberies targeting restaurant near closing time. Robbers wouldn't satisfy with stealling the day's cash, they would rob the customers as well, taking away anything of value - including cellphones. Most of the times they'd get away, except when one of the customers had a solution to track down his/her cellphone and warn the police about the thieves' whereabouts before they got to their slums - where they'd basically become 'untouchable', as our brave policemen simply wouldn't risk their necks going there without a 'good reason'. Noticeably, whenever a case like this reached the television, an iPhone could be seen among the belongings being returned to their owners...:rolleyes:

In case you got interested, this site has a nice comparisson betweeen several Android solutions for tracking your device and protecting your property in case you need it. It is a bit outdated but it's a nice starting point for researching other solutions.

As for the AV, it's no secret that there is an increasing number of malwares targeting smart devices, and Androids are still the main target of these threats. While some of them only threaten your privacy by collecting data without your consent, others can literally turn your amazing smartphone into a zombie, taking control of your device away from your hands. In any case, these malwares end up using up valuable resources, in particular your cellphone data and battery.

In Brazil, most cellphones are prepaid, and your credits reach zero very fast if you even think of using 2G/3G internet on them. Even data plans offered here are way too small and too expensive. A malware can pretty much leave a cellphone owner poor in little time, forcing constant usage of cellular internet. For these reasons I also recommend to anyone buying an Android to choose an AV before starting.

Also, in case you change your mind about AV on Androids, this other site can give you some insight on the best ones available.

I hope to have helped you understand how I think... I do accept any thoughts :D

Just like the iPhone, Samsung phones have location and security features already built in as default - http://findmymobile.samsung.com/login.do

Regarding anti virus on Android - Its not needed. You'll find the only companies saying its needed is the companies trying to sell it. Download apps from the Google Play Store only and you'll be fine. Check the feedback and the permissions. If someone goes to the effort of allowing apps from unknown sources, and then trys to install a pirated app - then they deserve whats coming to them. All this AV stuff is just scare mongering and only effects a very small percentage of Android users.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Indeed, unless you haphazardly install apps from sketchy 3rd party sources (which may be common in Brazil), you do not need a/v. Android device manager is in stock android now as well for device location and wipe.

There are also tools like cerebrus that go over and above for tracking and recovery.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I realize that... but some support is better than none/carriers not releasing updates ;)

Why is that though? Ive got the LG G2 which is running Jellybean 4.2. It does everything I need it to do. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it never received kit-kat 4.4 (although it will.)

Tell me what I can do differently with Android 4.4 that I cant do with Android 4.2?

I suppose with iPhone lacking in features compared to Android, plus it being the only time certain apps get updated, its probably more important to iPhone user then Android users.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm&hl=en_GB

Not heard of Android device manager at all? Every single Google Play compatible device has it AFAIK as it is built in with the Google Play Services framework.

My HTC One has it, my Moto G has it, my LG GPad has it. I still prefer Cerberus on my rooted devices however.

Snapping a pic of the would-be thief if they enter my pin incorrectly. Recording them. Being alerted as soon as the sim is swapped. Readign their call logs. Tracking their whereabouts... I hope I never have to use it but it's nice to know it's there! :D

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm&hl=en_GB

Not heard of Android device manager at all? Every single Google Play compatible device has it AFAIK as it is built in with the Google Play Services framework.

My HTC One has it, my Moto G has it, my LG GPad has it. I still prefer Cerberus on my rooted devices however.

Snapping a pic of the would-be thief if they enter my pin incorrectly. Recording them. Being alerted as soon as the sim is swapped. Readign their call logs. Tracking their whereabouts... I hope I never have to use it but it's nice to know it's there! :D

OP was referring to activation lock which no Android phone has by default. There are certainly more elaborate options but they require root and are not seamless.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would say the iPhone purely because I think it will stay current for slightly longer. Its different for everybody though, as the user interface is very different on both and will have to suit your tastes. If you like Android, then you can't really go far wrong buying the high end Android devices. I prefer iPhone so it would be a no contest for me. :)

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I posted this same question over at Android Central and they were split between the iPhone and actually the Nexus 5. I just wonder how small a 4 inch screen is going to feel in a couple of years.

The tiny iPhone display hampers it's use as a full featured smartphone. Yet millions buy them because they mainly use it for calls, texts, games & music. You Tube and videos are far more enjoyable on a modern size screen, like all top of the line Androids feature.

For work, the larger display and SWYPE insures I spend less time getting things done, it's just that much faster. When it comes to web research, surfing etc, Android is far better.

Speaking from current experience, my Nexus 5 gets updates immediately, is very fast, fun and reliable. Build quality is superb so it will easily last as long as I want to keep using it.

Although I have an iPhone 5S currently on it's own line along with my Nexus on AT&T, for my preferences and workflow, it's the Nexus I enjoy the best.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro

As a matter of fact, I didn't! Thanks for the tip :)

IDK if I got this right, and sorry if it's a dumb question, but why would you need to root your device to instal Cerberus?

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Just like the iPhone, Samsung phones have location and security features already built in as default - http://findmymobile.samsung.com/login.do

Regarding anti virus on Android - Its not needed. You'll find the only companies saying its needed is the companies trying to sell it. Download apps from the Google Play Store only and you'll be fine. Check the feedback and the permissions. If someone goes to the effort of allowing apps from unknown sources, and then trys to install a pirated app - then they deserve whats coming to them. All this AV stuff is just scare mongering and only effects a very small percentage of Android users.

I didn't know that, it's good to know it comes built in as default. Thanks :D

About the AV, I can't guarantee what the person will do with the mobile, and that's why I strongly advise them to add an AV. I agree with you that for people with some minimum common sense AVs aren't needed, but I can't say everyone who asks me about buying a smartphone has it. More often then never they come back to me after sharing some cool apps/music/videos/etc. via memory card / Bluetooth - these are the sources of my biggest headaches. :mad:

That's why I do suggest an AV for Androids, as it will - hopefully! - raise a message when they're screwing up, a message they won't want to treat, and this will force them to ask for help before it's too late.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
About the AV, I can't guarantee what the person will do with the mobile, and that's why I strongly advise them to add an AV. I agree with you that for people with some minimum common sense AVs aren't needed, but I can't say everyone who asks me about buying a smartphone has it. More often then never they come back to me after sharing some cool apps/music/videos/etc. via memory card / Bluetooth - these are the sources of my biggest headaches. :mad:

That's why I do suggest an AV for Androids, as it will - hopefully! - raise a message when they're screwing up, a message they won't want to treat, and this will force them to ask for help before it's too late.

You just scare mongering though. Android does not need anti virus software to be installed.

The main way people get a virus is by installing pirated apps. To do this they have to tick a box in security settings which warns them about the risks.

Also, Android is able to notify people that an app may be risky.

Sideloading-1.png

If you use Android the way its intended, ie, getting apps from the Play store only then there is no reason AV is required. Its a waste of time, money and can actually slow the phone down.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I have both a iphone5 and an s4, I would chose the iPhone over the s4 mainly because the s4 is full of bloat ware, and Samsung are to slow in releasing updated o/s, I also have a nexus 4, now choosing between the nexus and the iPhone would be harder, though the iPhone would win because of apple maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.