Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feliperama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Hi guys,

I have a macbook pro 2013 i7 2.7Ghz Geforce 650M graphics chipset. The configuration to play games is bootcamp with windows 7 partition and also I used the SMC fan control to max the fan speed (~5900 rpm).

When I was playing dota2 I notice that:

- Until near of 15min of gamming, the FPS was between 40 to 60 fps in 1920x1200 resolution.
- After this time I noticed that the macbook is hotter and the fps dropped to 20-30 fps.
- If I close the game and wait some time to cool again, the FPS when I just returned comes back to 40-60fps for some time, but the notebook will be hot and fps just falls again ...

I don't know what to do once the fan is maxed out ... Someone has the same problems? It’s normal all this slow on FPS? I don’t care too much about the hotter temperature in my hands, but dropping fps because otf this is really an annoying thing …

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The internal temperature is getting so high that the CPU is being throttled. It may be that the fans are not ramping up as they need too, or the game is sufficiently demanding that its just getting too hot

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
The internal temperature is getting so high that the CPU is being throttled. It may be that the fans are not ramping up as they need too, or the game is sufficiently demanding that its just getting too hot

I play a lot of games on my MBP and it never throttles.

feliperama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014

Do you usually play with bootcamp? Do you use some program to max fans like SMC fan control?

I was researching and saw some people talking about remove SMC fan control software and reset SMC. I will try to do this, but I'm almost sure that nothing will happens once I was putting the fan speed at maximum (if the high temperature is really cause of drop fps).

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Do you usually play with bootcamp? Do you use some program to max fans like SMC fan control?

I was researching and saw some people talking about remove SMC fan control software and reset SMC. I will try to do this, but I'm almost sure that nothing will happens once I was putting the fan speed at maximum (if the high temperature is really cause of drop fps).

Yeah I got a program called Mac fan control in bootcamp and just set the fans to max (around 6100). I have very consistent performance in all games.

Do notice that I have a normal MBP and therefor play games on a resolution of 1440x900 (which I recommend to anyone, because the retina resolution is much too much for the 650m).

ltorrelles

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
I have a pretty similar issue.

The best performance I've ever got from my retina macbook was: cold room, elevated laptop (using the typical external laptop cooler), no maxed out fans (they'll go full speed when needed), hyper-threading disabled and screen illumination turned down.

Try it out, see if it helps.

I'll also (soon™) format everything, open the laptop up and clean all the dust, and finally changing the thermal paste. I'm pretty sure that'll improve performance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I don't play games but I see enough threads to draw a conclusion that the MBP gets very hot (sometimes too hot) when playing games.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I don't play games but I see enough threads to draw a conclusion that the MBP gets very hot (sometimes too hot) when playing games.

That may be, but not mine apparently. When I game with my fans on max (from the beginning) my CPU temps virtually never exceed 95 and in most cases not even 90 (degrees C, that is.)

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
In my experience unusually high temps are almost always a result of dust/debris. It's a fairly simple procedure to pop the bottom off and clean out the fans and heat sinks with some air. You can blast air straight into the back and bottom vents if you really don't want to open the machine, but you're just relocating the blockage in that case so I wouldn't recommend it.

Thermal paste re-application can definitely have a small positive effect, but I wouldn't start there, especially if you've never done it before (in a desktop build, on another laptop, etc). It's not particularly difficult, but a poor re-application will just make things worse.

Obviously it's also important to make sure the fans are actually responding to the RPM you're setting (should be easy to tell from the sound).

On a machine with this ratio of power/size you're always going to see some thermal throttling in long high usage sessions, but what you're describing (half performance) is excessive.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
mine only does this when expected like if I have the MBP on a soft surface not allowing good air circulation, when its on a firm surface I have never got the MBP so hot that it throttles

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.