Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
The display on my iBook went belly-up on me, and I made the big mistake of not backing up my drive ahead of time. While I can't see anything on the screen, I can access the hard disk fine on my G5 by using Firewire Target Disk Mode.

Before I ship it away to Apple for warranty repair, I want to get a clone of the hard drive, so if something happens and the drive comes back blank, I can still restore all my applications and data (not to mention having my data available in the meantime). The thing is, I can't seem to find anything that will clone drives from one computer to another. I looked at Carbon Copy Cloner, but I haven't seen any evidence of it supporting Target Disk Mode. Does it, or does anyone know of anything else I can use to get my data off? Thanks!

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
all you need to do is:

1. Plug into the desired computer via Target Disk Mode

2. after it appears on the desktop, use CCC to clone your HD [or whatever you want cloned]

3. Then choose the destination folder [or you might be able to do something like a save as] to the other HD.

I suppose i could be more help if i actually had the program installed, but this is all i can remember from when i used it.

Good Luck

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
You laptop drive should just show up as a HD. Then you could do exactly what the previous post said copy the laptop drive to another drive with Carbon Copy Cloner. I have used the program a few times and it works great. Awesome piece of software and its free.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Super Duper allows this. A window opens up in which you can choose to back up any partition connected to the computer that you're running it on. You can do this with the free trial/unregistered version too.

**EDIT**
Super Duper pic. Notice that it shows external drives (firewire icon)

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 61

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I don't know about CCC, but I know that SuperDuper! will let you select the source and destination disks to clone. If your iBook disk shows up as just another disk, I don't see why this approach would not work (as already stated above for CCC).

EDIT: I see that neocell beat me to it!

numark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll try out SuperDuper tomorrow and see how it works. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.