Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to The New York Times, Motorola's upcoming revision to the ROKR E1 will not include Apple iTunes Music Stores support. Instead, the ROKR E2 will support a new subscription music service from Motorola called iRadio.

The iRadio service, will include 435 commercial-free radio channels, including genres such as Heavy Metal, Rockin' Cowboys and Angry Women. Its satellite rivals also provide specialized music channels, often without ads.

The Motorola ROKR E1 was the first cell phone to provide support for Apple's iTunes Music Store. The phone, however, was met with poor reviews. Last we heard, Motorola was revamping the ROKR to address these shortcomings. Apple iTunes support, however, appears to have been dropped with the revamp.

Motorola, however, still offers iTunes support in their recently announced RAZR V3i phone.

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Motorola Sucks. Screw them with their crappy interfaces, ugly designs, slow ex. powerpc processor manufacturing, lame advertising, and stupid management.

There, I said it. No one here really cares about this. You all knew ROKR e2 was going to be just as crap as the e1.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Bad news IMO...even though the original ROKR was pretty pathetic, discontinuing iTunes support is a step backwards. Would like to see iTunes on mobile phones gaining more traction, not less...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's too soon to give up after only the first version of an iTunes-enabled phone. But it certainly sounds like Motorola is hedging its bets.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Good. If the leaked E2 photos are real, then it's a good thing Apple's name isn't attached to it.

I'll stick with my handy Treo 650.

Fishes,
narco.

nsjoker

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Miami, Fl
rawr

swingerofbirch said:
the motorola apple love hate relationship continues

well... it was love hate, but this just sounds like hate hate. they're completely scrapping iTunes, yikes. and the worst part is this iRadio. i hate to think that companies believe they can harness apple's image by adding a lowercase "i" next to any crap they churn out and believe it well be a hit :cool:

apple is probably making a phone anyhow. screw you motorola, nokia rocks you. :D

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Im going to rate this positive. I bet Apple ditched moto, not the other way around. I think SJ has other cellphone plans up his sleeve. You could tell from the moment it was introduced, that he _hated_ the ROKR.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Well, this might be good for Apple.

Is moto dropping support of iTunes entirely? So the new ROKR won't be able to sync with iTunes?

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
This furthers my suspision of a new Apple-Branded cell phone. With iTunes ofcourse. Apple style. Apple interface.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
When the hell did Angry Women become a genre? Sheesh, next the thing will be yodelling I tell ya.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
the.snitch said:
Im going to rate this positive. I bet Apple ditched moto, not the other way around. I think SJ has other cellphone plans up his sleeve. You could tell from the moment it was introduced, that he _hated_ the ROKR.

I doubt they cared to put their name on the ROKR, given the circumstances. It may just be that there isn't enough room to work and perhaps, the RAZR is more capable but I think Apple wanted to ditch ROKR any way they could.

As for other plans, I doubt it, unless they put effort into a Treo 650-type phone. After all, Palm is obviously open to new things since they allowed a Windows version of the phone.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
the.snitch said:

if ben hated the rokr. why create a special event and all the woo hoo all around?

moto could have created the event and invite sj. but again, that would hurt his ego really bad.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Love(d) Motorola, and the phones I have and had. It is sad that their CEO and management is so Petty about this iTunes relationship.

Good riddance, I would much more prefer to listen to music on my Nano, 3G, or 5G ipod then my phone. When I listen to music I don't want anything emitting RF near me (well besides the small amount all electronic MP3 players emit) , nor do I want to be interrupted.

::EDIT::

While looking for a picture on google of the Motorola guy dancing I found out that he was Ron Garriques who is the president of the mobile division

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Mobile carriers weren't too happy with iTunes from the start. They are the ones who decide on the fixed song limits -- it's been 100 so far, but Moto leave this decision to each carrier.

iRadio puts subscription fees into carriers' pockets. iTunes doesn't do that. That's all this is really about, Moto wanted a phone that more networks would be willing to sell.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Please let this be because Apple decided that Nokia would be a better partner.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
LMAO!!!!

Apple Edited the Keynote video, and cut the section were Ron was dancing to that stupid song on his ROKR! :D

I was going to make a JPG picture to post on here with the image of his face, and his strange dance, but I can't because Apple killed it ! :D

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
the.snitch said:

I agree. Motorola would not have given up iTunes compatibilitiy unless Apple made it onerous or impossible for them. If Apple did so, there's a good chance it's because it has its own phone in the wings. Jobs made a passing reference to the ROKR being a learning experience, and in my mind, that suggested that Apple would make a phone at some point. Hope it comes during next week's Expo...

sPAULj

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2004
I can understand why. Motorola thinks the problem with the phone's popularity was that iTunes couldn't sell on a phone. Well, the problem was that Motorola doesn't give a **** about developing someone that people will buy. Hell, the RAZR is pretty and small too, but what the hell is up with the low feature spec on that phone? And dropping it one destroys the thing.

Good riddance for bad rubbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.