Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
the.snitch said:
Motorola Sucks. Screw them with their crappy interfaces, ugly designs, slow ex. powerpc processor manufacturing, lame advertising, and stupid management.

There, I said it. No one here really cares about this. You all knew ROKR e2 was going to be just as crap as the e1.

I agree, the company is a joke, they stopped making good phones years ago. I am glad this is happening, I can't wait for the iRadio service to be cancelled after no one signs up. All the cell pone careers suck as well.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Im going to put my $$$ on an apple phone coming soon. Wouldnt be surprised if its next week;)

The downfall of the ROKR was in blame of both parties. It was ugly for an apple license and the 100 song limit was annoying.

Elliott

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2001
When will Apple learn?

Apple will never really grow until they can get other companies on board with them. First it was HP will iTunes and iPods. No more! Now they are losing Motorola. MS is big, because they have everybody selling their stuff.

Apple has to learn to work with others better to promote their products, they cannot really grow without others. The iTune/iPod growth will be short lived it Apple does not get support from other companies.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Elliott said:
When will Apple learn?

Apple will never really grow until they can get other companies on board with them. First it was HP will iTunes and iPods. No more! Now they are losing Motorola. MS is big, because they have everybody selling their stuff.

Apple has to learn to work with others better to promote their products, they cannot really grow without others. The iTune/iPod growth will be short lived it Apple does not get support from other companies.
Apple is already the largest company in the mp3 player industry. They don't have to work with others, they are already the best. The other companies really are the ones who need to work with Apple.

Zzero0

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2003
Look to Nokia and Apple

Nokia owns over 80% of the world market for cellphone Operating System (Symbian) and User Interface (S60), also licensed to LG, Lenovon, Panasonic, Samsung and Siemens. Apple and Nokia have worked together to put Safari and it's Web Kit engine on the latest S60 devices, N90, N80, N70 etc. Much of what makes iTunes work is the web engine, it wouldn't take much to port iTunes to the new S60 devices.

As a side note the N80 phone (should be out very soon) supports 802.11g. The cell companies don't like that and the Cingular version of the N80 may not have WiFi support. WiFi phones are a direct threat to the cell networks because they can't bill you for the time you use it. There are already VoIP clients for many S60 devices. Expect a war between companies like Skipe and Nokia and the cell network companies like Vodofone and Cingular. Apple may also be a factor in that battle. An IP based phone that uses a wireless IP network will have a small market to start with but it is the future of the cell phone. If the phone can also use CDMA and GSM networks it will have a very large market to start with.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Zzero0 said:
Nokia owns over 80% of the world market for cellphone Operating System (Symbian) and User Interface (S60), also licensed to LG, Lenovon, Panasonic, Samsung and Siemens. Apple and Nokia have worked together to put Safari and it's Web Kit engine on the latest S60 devices, N90, N80, N70 etc. Much of what makes iTunes work is the web engine, it wouldn't take much to port iTunes to the new S60 devices.

As a side note the N80 phone (should be out very soon) supports 802.11g. The cell companies don't like that and the Cingular version of the N80 may not have WiFi support. WiFi phones are a direct threat to the cell networks because they can't bill you for the time you use it. There are already VoIP clients for many S60 devices. Expect a war between companies like Skipe and Nokia and the cell network companies like Vodofone and Cingular. Apple may also be a factor in that battle. An IP based phone that uses a wireless IP network will have a small market to start with but it is the future of the cell phone. If the phone can also use CDMA and GSM networks it will have a very large market to start with.
If a phone supported Wi-Fi, CDMA, and GSM wouldn't it be like the size of a shoe box? Either way, it would be nice to have a cell phone with VoIP so atleast I could call from my home for free (and have perfect reception). IF Apple came out with a phone, it would definitely support Wi-Fi.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
mo0805 said:
i consider motorola, razr aside, to be one of the worst cell phone manufacturers. so as far as the rokr is concerned, i say good riddance.
What makes the RAZR so good? It's over priced and cheaply made, looks is the only thing going for it.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Hmmm, charge exorbitant prices per song for a phone, it's failing, blame Apple, come out with your own version where (one assumes) charge too much money again, fail, rinse and repeat. I'm sick of Moto, first their procoessor unit all but craps out in delivering adequate supplies of processors for six or seven years in a row (anyone remember the G4 500 MHz fiasco in 1998/99) now this. They should ditch Moto and maybe try to woo someone else.

mo0805

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2004
minneapolis, minnesota
EricNau said:
IF Apple came out with a phone, it would definitely support Wi-Fi.

you're kidding right? i'm sure not. no wireless company wants to adopt a phone from a new manufacturer in the first place, let alone one that lets the user make call for free when in the range of a wi-fi connection.

cell phones with wi-fi connectivity will not catch on because they will not make any more money for the wireless company.

mo0805

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2004
minneapolis, minnesota
EricNau said:
What makes the RAZR so good? It's over priced and cheaply made, looks is the only thing going for it.

i'm not saying that it's a marvel, i'm just saying that it's better than most phones on the market. i'm a sony ericsson user, myself.

Xgreed

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
EricNau said:
If a phone supported Wi-Fi, CDMA, and GSM wouldn't it be like the size of a shoe box? Either way, it would be nice to have a cell phone with VoIP so atleast I could call from my home for free (and have perfect reception). IF Apple came out with a phone, it would definitely support Wi-Fi.

The newest Nokias - all comming Q1/06 - will have Wi-Fi, W-CDMA and GSM. This is my favorite: http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,81719,00.html
I hope Apple will come out with something similar!

Cheers

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
mo0805 said:
you're kidding right? i'm sure not. no wireless company wants to adopt a phone from a new manufacturer in the first place, let alone one that lets the user make call for free when in the range of a wi-fi connection.

cell phones with wi-fi connectivity will not catch on because they will not make any more money for the wireless company.

Bah! You are using facts. Facts have NO place on a MR thread. Don't pay attention to mo0805 guys. Trying to be all logic like. BAH! :p

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
EricNau said:

Great battery life, sexy looks, meh...user interface, thin as all heck, amd $99-$199 when you sign up with most carriers. What's not to like?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nokia doesn't own Symbian , but very close to it ( unfortunately ).

Apple need to start working with other cell phone companies but unfortunately most have chosen services other than Apple for music stores, Including Nokia.

Music on phones is where the next battle will be but unfortunately Apple is lagging. Apple could come out with its own cell phone but I'm guessing it will be very simplistic - may be good for some people - but for others, too simple ; but apple will be a small part - it needs established cell phone companies.

Another thing that needs sorting out is the price per song over wireless - its just a plain rip off - why download over a phone when its cheaper to download on computer and then transfer the music over.

Zzero0 said:

s10

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2002
Los Angeles
what did Jobs say?

Didn't he say that they had learned a lot from the Rokr.. Learned enough to stop the experience or enough to do it all by them selves, without Motorola? or at least not under the Motorola brand....

Personally I think a phone + sat. radio makes more sense...Especially if the Phone is GPS (which all phones are more or less already anyway)

mudflapper

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2004
Who the hell cares?

Just buy a Sony Ericsson K750 or W800 and download the free app "iTuneMyWalkman" from MacUpdate and you have the best iTunes phone on the planet. WITH Mega Bass and manual EQ, by the way. No competition. Get Salling Clicker and you're unstoppable. :)

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Moto blew it. They blew it when they decided to design the phone themselves instead of having Apple design it.

I think that the whole industry has learned a lesson and that, in time, Apple will take advantage of the lessons learned. They won't make a phone, but will have someone (Nokia or Samsung) take care of the production. It might also be a true GSM phone, instead of the cripples that the US companies insist on, allowing users to use it anywhere they go.

Again Moto screws up when working with Apple. Seems they never learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.