Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Mac Pro Shipping Estimates Slip to April in Many Countries

Shipping estimates for new orders of the redesigned Mac Pro have now slipped to April in many of Apple's stores around the world (via MacGeneration) [Google Translate].

This is the second time in two months that the Mac Pro has showed a change in shipping estimates, as Apple's stores around the world began to show a "March" shipping estimate last month. While the new shipping estimates do not necessarily reflect a worsening supply given that shipping delays have been persistent so far throughout the computer's launch, the changes do indicate that Apple has yet to make up significant ground as lead times appear to be remaining in the six-to-seven week range.

The new April shipping estimates are in effect for stock and custom configurations throughout Apple's online stores for Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) and Asia Pacific (APAC) operational regions. Estimates in Apple's stores for the Americas remain at March for the time being.

Update: Shipping estimates in the Americas have now also moved to April for all models.

Article Link: Apple's Mac Pro Shipping Estimates Slip to April in Many Countries
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Lapidus
macrumors regular

Guess the Americans can't keep up.
Also, where is that new Thunderbolt display?! (Just gonna keep commenting that till it's here)
Lapidus is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:40 AM   #3
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Glad to hear there is high demand. Seems like an amazing machine and this will at least keep apple interested in the professional side of things for the foreseeable future.
zedsdead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:42 AM   #4
panther quest
macrumors member

They need to rectify this situation.
panther quest is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:44 AM   #5
FrankHahn
macrumors 6502a

Since I cancelled my February-shipping order, I guess I will not place another order until the second-half of this year or the next year.
FrankHahn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Is it that difficult to manufacture or are there supply issues with internal components?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:49 AM   #7
FrankHahn
macrumors 6502a

I now wonder how many nMPs they can build a day!
FrankHahn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:50 AM   #8
brandscill
macrumors regular

Is it simply the case demand is to high for the single factory?
brandscill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:52 AM   #9
Umbongo
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Is it that difficult to manufacture or are there supply issues with internal components?
Probably just the spike of initial demand.
Umbongo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Bokito
macrumors member

In the western world it's not as easy to recruit and fire hundreds of workers every day. Apple's suppliers have no problem doing that, but for Apple that's an issue. Although it's pretty easy to lay off your workers in the USA compared to some European countries, I don't think Apple wants to take the risk of hiring too many people they need to fire when demand is slipping.

This also keeps their numbers 'clean'. They now produce about the same number of Mac Pros every quarter.
Bokito is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:03 AM   #11
vjpulp
macrumors newbie

Isn't that normal? After all, we're in the middle of february. So it seems logical to me that the shipping date also moves back.
vjpulp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:06 AM   #12
Bazu
macrumors member

Mainly because they know that we gonna wait anyway.
Bazu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:13 AM   #13
Daku93
macrumors member

Well, shipping time is still 2 months. So it hasn't really slipped.

It is like saying: If you order an iPhone today, you get it tomorrow. If you order one tomorrow, you get it the day after tomorrow. That means tomorrow the shipping time will have slipped by 1 day...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:16 AM   #14
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther quest View Post
Well no. You want them to, but they don't need to. Clearly people are willing to wait. Hell, people waited this long for the update, what's another 2-6 months?
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Freida
macrumors 6502a

either the demand is really high and Apple wasn't expecting that nor were they prepared or there are some issues with manufacturing it that it slows it down.
If its high demand then I'm very happy for Apple as they will finally realise that this is an important market and they won't neglect it in the future.
On the other hand if its manufacturing issues then I'm slightly disappointed that after such a long time they are still being so much behind.
We won't know but lets hope it will improve soon
Freida is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:27 AM   #16
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther quest View Post
Rectify what? From almost the get go, there was a 2 month wait (it wasn't long after ordering was opened that the shipping date slipped to february). It isn't like those who had a February shipping date are now getting them in April, instead if you order today they are sent out in 2 months. Just like if you ordered in December you most likely had a 2 month wait.

Frankly, having a steady demand is waaayyyy better than having no demand or quickly getting caught up. For those who are waiting for nMP2, having a high demand for nMP1 means Apple is more likely to create a nMP2.

Also, because of large business purchases (which really is more the target for a workstation anyway), most large businesses don't really care how how long it takes (within reason) and really do not care about update cycles (my laptop is an Ivy Bridge that was purchased a few weeks after Haswell was announced but before the Haswell models were officially released).
2xMac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 250GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:38 AM   #17
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
Well no. You want them to, but they don't need to. Clearly people are willing to wait. Hell, people waited this long for the update, what's another 2-6 months?
IMO this would be a poor way to deliver customer service. If the message from the top is, 'eh, they waited this long, they can wait longer,' that speaks volumes to how the company feels about you, it's loyal customer. If anything, production should have been shifted to meet demand for the people who have clearly been waiting a long time for a product that is far from just a unneeded gadget.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:41 AM   #18
tuxon86
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
Glad to hear there is high demand. Seems like an amazing machine and this will at least keep apple interested in the professional side of things for the foreseeable future.
It isn't just high demand... It's also a case of under production. They should have stuck with Foxconn and China instead of playing the "patriotic" card.
tuxon86 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:53 AM   #19
Tech198
macrumors 601

I knew it, I knew it...

Any bets that will this slip further ? I think so.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:56 AM   #20
Mr. Dee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapidus View Post
Guess the Americans can't keep up.
Also, where is that new Thunderbolt display?! (Just gonna keep commenting that till it's here)
I suspect they are building it in tandem with the next Mac Mini so its powerful enough to handle a 4k display.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:05 AM   #21
xgman
macrumors 68040

So this is what happens when they use an American factory?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:07 AM   #22
Merlin65
macrumors member

I hope it is high demand and not problems at the US manufacturing plant.
Merlin65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:07 AM   #23
alfonsog
macrumors regular

My nearest Apple store is about one hour away and they are two months out. My nearest Apple reseller is about two hours away (Sarasota) and they had some in stock so I picked one up last week. Funny, because they last thing I bought from them was my Mac Pro in 2006. I guess that averages to about $400 a year and until the original one died during a move recently it was still fast enough (I put a SSD in it 2 years ago.) I was also thinking of a maxed out iMac but since I have 2 cinema displays already I chose the pro.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:08 AM   #24
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The new April shipping estimates are in effect for stock and custom configurations throughout Apple's online stores for Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) and Asia Pacific (APAC) operational regions. Estimates in Apple's stores for the Americas remain at March for the time being.
Probably something to do with the mac made in US.
If its from china the shipping would be direct from the factory right, can't tell about this mac pro.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:08 AM   #25
HiVolt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Its an unnecessarily complicated build, of course its hard to manufacture, especially in a brand new facility in North America where Apple hasn't made anything in probably well over a decade.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion