Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Feb 21, 2014, 01:25 AM   #1
ardchoille42
macrumors regular

King of the Nerds, thoughts on the debate

I didn't know where to post this, so please accept my apologies if this is the wrong section.

I've been keeping up with King of the Nerds this season and tonight they held a debate on an age old subject: Star Trek universe vs. Star Wars universe. They debated ships, weaponry, personel, technology and box office success. it was a very good debate.

Who do you think would win and why?

Last edited by ardchoille42; Feb 21, 2014 at 01:34 AM.
ardchoille42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Neither. Doctor Who would win .
Plutonius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
I didn't know where to post this, so please accept my apologies if this is the wrong section.

I've been keeping up with King of the Nerds this season and tonight they held a debate on an age old subject: Star Trek universe vs. Star Wars universe. They debated ships, weaponry, personel, technology and box office success. it was a very good debate.

Who do you think would win and why?
The Borg Cube would assimilate any Death Star.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Doctor Who violates the laws of physics. Can someone explain to me how a robot the sizes of a large trash bin can generate enough power to destroy an entire fleet? The Dalek was created using science, so it must abide by the laws of science.

As a fan of all three, I say Star Trek would win because they have several a species with beings with godlike powers: the Organians, the Q, Douwd. One Douwd, Kevin Uxbridge, completely wiped out an entire species of 50 billion (50,000,000,000) with single thought.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
Doctor Who violates the laws of physics.
Case closed. Anyone who can violate the laws of physics is supreme.

Besides, I never studied law (old Bugs Bunny quote) .
Plutonius is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:27 PM   #6
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Star Wars hands down. But lets not count the "first" movie. Revenge isn't too bad and either is clone. But the first one, good god shoot me now.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:51 PM   #7
ardchoille42
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
As a fan of all three, I say Star Trek would win because they have several a species with beings with godlike powers: the Organians, the Q, Douwd. One Douwd, Kevin Uxbridge, completely wiped out an entire species of 50 billion (50,000,000,000) with single thought.
Surprisingly none of those species were mentioned in the debate. I feel this point would have gone a long way toward winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Star Wars hands down. But lets not count the "first" movie. Revenge isn't too bad and either is clone. But the first one, good god shoot me now.
I didn't like the first one either. Perhaps they felt it was necessary in order to establish a history? It did serve to help in that aspect.
ardchoille42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:28 PM   #8
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Star Trek, obviously. The Q.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:19 AM   #9
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I concur. Doctor Who is much better than both Star Wars and Star Trek.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 04:04 PM   #10
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

In terms of box office - Star Wars

In terms of Science Fiction - Star Trek sans Q and similar

In terms of humanist and fantasy stories - Dr. Who

My personal take - I sit in that camp that can take or leave Star Wars. I saw it when it originally came out and my friends and I thought it was a great deal of fun but nothing spectacular. The masses of course disagreed with us as it became a "phenom" immediately. I admit I am more a fan of Star Trek and Dr. Who Star Trek was more sci fi than the others mentioned and consider Dr. Who in the realm of fantasy along with Star Wars as an homage to serial movies that sit with "good guys and bad guys" such as Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. I admit I also sit in the minority as I never liked episodes of Star Trek with "the Q" as they were for me just plain silly. For more recent sci-fi, I find that Battlestar Galactica reboot and more so - Caprica fit the bill. The latter was off the air way too quickly which left me with a sense of chagrin. I might as well throw in Star Gate as being (for me) more entertaining than Star Wars.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events