Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Just curious. I'm almost 25 and have never actually been in a fist fight. Not really sure why, it's just never happened. Just wondering how common that is, so please share your stories. Maybe I should add a poll to this.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
You almost sound disappointed.

Oh not at all. I'm a pretty non-violent person. I was just curious how common or uncommon it is.

----------

What a bizarre choice of topic for your first ever post.

Well sometimes I come up with random questions that I want to ask a large group of people, but never bothered to register on a forum. So while this question was fresh on my mind and I happened to be on macrumors I figured I'd make an account and ask my question.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
When I was about 10 or 11 I had a fight with a neighborhood kid. There was an unwritten rule among the kids never to hit in the face. That was mainly because if you hit a kid in the face, he would start swinging wildly and you could really get hurt!

Anyway, I took a wild swing at the other kid, and hit him on the point of the chin, and he went down.

That was it...never again.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Oh not at all. I'm a pretty non-violent person. I was just curious how common or uncommon it is.

----------

Well sometimes I come up with random questions that I want to ask a large group of people, but never bothered to register on a forum. So while this question was fresh on my mind and I happened to be on macrumors I figured I'd make an account and ask my question.

The responses you get won't be representative of much...

No I have not had a physical altercation with anyone.

Edit: actually as a child I once defended myself with a swift kick. So my statement above is not accurate.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
My brothers and I used to fight each other all the time. But I've never been in a fight with a kid at school or anyone else.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I got punched in the face once in grade 7, but I knew it was coming and maybe deserved it.

Otherwise I usually talked my way out of fights and was "cool with" the gangsters in highschool so no one really messed with me.

Also helps that I'm a stable drinker :D

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Funny story.

After school in eighth grade some kids from school and I were having a snowball fight. The snow wasn't really soft it was a more kind of icy. I packed a snowball and tossed it high up in the air towards this mexican kid and as he was packing a snowball he looked up, and it hit him square in the face. He got PISSED and started chasing me. This kid got in fights like every week at school. I was pretty fast and i sprinted all the way home, he gave up about halfway.

The next day at school was the day before winter break and i got to school (we would wait outside until the doors opened) and one of my friends came up to me and told me that the kid was looking for me and wanted to beat my ass. I tried to stay calm and went to go talk to a couple friends and he finally came up to me, bruised and cut from the snowball, and pushed my friends aside and punched me so hard i fell to the ground. Im pretty sure i got a concussion and i got surrounded by kids trying to help me get up.

After this he got expelled, moved to mexico for a couple years. When he came back he was in a gang and got arrested and put in jail for murder. I guess that would be my only fist fight, if that counts.

story on shooting if anyone is interested: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-09-04/news/ct-met-laundromat-shooting-0904-20120904_1_laundromat-padilla-shot-mother

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
I don't even know if I should post this but, 13 I can remember. No I don't drink alcohol, they wouldn't go to well with my bp meds and blood thinners. First one was in kindergarden and involved a girl. Long story short, my snoopy pencil ended up stuck through the other boys wrist. I've been attacked a few times. I broke two peoples noses in my life. In high school, I got into a fight with my girlfriends ex. After trading punches, he jumped into a car, rammed my vehicle and took off. About 1/2 mile down the road, he ran another vehicle off the side and they flipped. I had a 16 year old pull a rifle on me once. I grabbed it from him and then I broke the stock over his right shoulder. A few scuffs in the Army. Other than that, not too many. Btw, I'm 31.

on edit: I completely forgot about the guy that broke into my Durango. It was 1am and I couldn't sleep so I decided to take trash out. As I was walking out, I noticed this guy in the drivers side of my Durango pulling wires out of the dash. I approached him and we fought, then he took off. The cops caught him about20 minutes later. It was his 47th offense.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
I don't even know if I should post this but, 13 I can remember. No I don't drink alcohol, they wouldn't go to well with my bp meds and blood thinners. First one was in kindergarden and involved a girl. Long story short, my snoopy pencil ended up stuck through the other boys wrist. I've been attacked a few times. I broke two peoples noses in my life. In high school, I got into a fight with my girlfriends ex. After trading punches, he jumped into a car, rammed my vehicle and took off. About 1/2 mile down the road, he ran another vehicle off the side and they flipped. I had a 16 year old pull a rifle on me once. I grabbed it from him and then I broke the stock over his right shoulder. A few scuffs in the Army. Other than that, not too many. Btw, I'm 31.

on edit: I completely forgot about the guy that broke into my Durango. It was 1am and I couldn't sleep so I decided to take trash out. As I was walking out, I noticed this guy in the drivers side of my Durango pulling wires out of the dash. I approached him and we fought, then he took off. The cops caught him about20 minutes later. It was his 47th offense.

I lost it at snoopy pencil:D:D:D

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I got punched once in high school, I just looked at him like "was that your best shot" he ran away after that... It was fun watching his eyes get big with that "oh #" face.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I've never been in a fist fight with a stranger. I lived with 8 other guys during college though in a house with enough alcohol to fuel a jet to the moon, so yes I have punched someone in the face and received the same. :eek:

----------

I got punched once in high school, I just looked at him like "was that your best shot" he ran away after that... It was fun watching his eyes get big with that "oh #" face.

Thats the "****, this didn't work like in the movies" face.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Elementary school, a bully kept after me. Until one day we went at it. Don't remember the specific outcome. We both walked away, and that was that.

High school, another bully tried messing with me after gym. I pushed him backwards through a crowd of people and pinned him to the wall. He didn't escalate and that was that.

I don't like bullies.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Not that often but more than enough. Getting attacked out of the blue by drugged people in front / nearby clubs early in the morning seems to be the common denominator in my life. :D

One occasion was really bad actually, although I got away lucky in the end. Was trying to intervene when two of my buddies got assaulted and somehow ended up on the sidewalk black'd out while those mugs kept on kicking my head. No kidding but a 'celebrity' gangsta rapper from Berlin happened to come along with his gorillas and they drove them away. My friends followed them into the metro while calling the police. They got caught, sued, I received some compensation (had to stay inthe hospital for 48h) which I used to spend a month in Buenos Aires. :D

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I haven't had a fist-fight since school days. Even then, I can only recall a couple.

But, funnily enough, I was verbally assaulted by a psycho this morning outside our work cafe. My bag happened to brush him as I left the cafe and he came storming out, barking that there was not one thing about me that he liked. He didn't appreciate being told to calm down or being informed that I didn't give a rat's ass what he thinks. I had one other run in with this nutter some time ago and I was in no mood to talk with him. After telling me to '**** off' he then amused himself my coming within an inch of giving me a headbutt.

No fisticuffs involved. I just feel sorry for the twerp, and his mad staring eyes.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Fist fight? Nah, that's a real good way to break your hands. Plus I don't actually want to hurt people.

I've elbowed a gentleman in the face and fractured his nose, completely on accident.

Had a knife pulled on me, kicked em' in the solar plexus, made him throw up so I could just run away.

Threw a bully at school into the wall.

Sadly, that's not even considered violent where I grew up.

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Had a few as a teenager but one really stands out. I was maybe 5' 5" and weighed maybe 100 lbs soaking wet. Started going out with a girl with a crazy ex. He was 6' 3" and twice my size. Was taunting me but trie dot ignore. Kept taunting me and I finally stood up, ******** my pants. I threw the hardest punch I could and connected with his jaw. He didn't move. I was prepared to get my ass kicked. Hit him again in the jaw again and he went flying into a dresser, knocked out. He didn't bother me ever again.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Not as an adult.

As a kid, there was one memorable and sadly educational episode. The school bully, Ron, decided to take me out one afternoon after I'd bested him in band class and relegated him to Second Trumpet one time too many. I sensed something was up and lingered in the schoolyard, both out of avoidance and to consider my options. Finally I decided to walk home the long way. Another kid (a hanger-on of the bully) encountered me and asked what I was doing-- I said I was heading home the long way. "Oh, don't do that, Ron is waiting for you."

I stupidly believed him and went home the usual way. Sure enough, the dreaded Ron popped out of the bushes and confronted me. A bunch of grinning friends and acquaintances materialized too! Apparently the word had gotten out that I was a goner that day, and the spectacle of seeing me beaten to a pulp trumped any 4th-grade friendship loyalties that balmy afternoon.

So Ron tore my book bag from me and threw it to the ground and started wailing at me. I was consumed by hurt at my friends' betrayal, but Ron's first few blows flipped that to a blind rage. Suddenly forgetting that this was a big mean guy who was the terror of playground and park, I hauled off and swung one mighty punch, straight from the shoulder, that caught him right in the kisser.

Ron's head made a noise like a dropped watermelon. He staggered, and his eyes widened in surprise as blood spurted from his nose and mouth.

And: He started to cry and ran away.

My audience went from grinning to stunned silence. The mighty Ron had been vanquished by a single punch!

Now it was my turn to cry, but for different reasons. Taught me a thing or two, that episode did. First, stand up to bullies. Down deep, they're cowards. Second, never underestimate the power of adrenaline. The pudgy trumpet nerd with the hay fever and the hearing aid might just have it in him to kick your arse. Third, if you must fight, fight for keeps. Last, know that true friends are rare in this world.

Oh: and Ron wasn't able to play trumpet for a month. Justice.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I had an intense 20 second headlock fight when I was about 12 :p

I do wonder what it would be like (I worry that it'll be like my dreams where it feels like you are punching under water), but I'd rather take up boxing instead of actually getting into a fight on the street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.