Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Almost everyone i meet, has had at least one windows pc, like EVERYONE, even on the internet, why is it so rare to have only had mac/apple computers? Did you grow up with Mac/apple computers?

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Almost everyone i meet, has had at least one windows pc, like EVERYONE, even on the internet, why is it so rare to have only had mac/apple computers? Did you grow up with Mac/apple computers?

I was already an adult when personal computers arrived in the marketplace, but I've been a Mac guy since 1984. I've never owned a DOS or Windows PC.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I was already an adult when personal computers arrived in the marketplace, but I've been a Mac guy since 1984. I've never owned a DOS or Windows PC.
Nice, i never have had a windows pc either.

Did you get the 128k?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm afraid I'm too old for Apple to have been a mainstream company when I started out...286's were my first "proper computers" prior to that, it was Sinclair and Atari..:)

Been all Apple for quite a while now though.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm afraid I'm too old for Apple to have been a mainstream company when I started out...286's were my first "proper computers" prior to that, it was Sinclair and Atari..:)

Been all Apple for quite a while now though.

Bah, 286's... I started on 8088's :)
But really got interested with the TRS-80 and a cassette player for a drive before that...

My first introduction to Apple was teaching BASIC on the Apple IIc

My first Apple I owned was the Mac SE

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Bah, 286's... I started on 8088's :)
But really got interested with the TRS-80 and a cassette player for a drive before that...

My first introduction to Apple was teaching BASIC on the Apple IIc

My first Apple I owned was the Mac SE

I forgot about them...:) I had one too, with the tape deck! I wish I'd kept some of the old stuff....:D

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Yes

The original Mac was first computer I used, when studying at university back in 1985. Twenty years later, as a university teacher, I bought my first computer, the original 2005 Mac Mini.

I had little call to use a computer during the intervening years, though as an itinerant farm worker for many years, I did adopt e-mail quite early, using internet cafes. To me a computer was a computer, and I had no idea or interest in what OS they used.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Nope. My Dad worked as some sort of IT security guy for a bank when I was younger, his job to attempt to bypass the security and then patch up his methods so it couldn't be done again. It was thanks to that and his obsession with computers that my childhood saw a wide range of computers and systems.

The first computer I remember ever using was a BBC Micro. I spent hours making triangles on it. But after that, I used many more types and OSs that passed through the house. ZX81, RS/6000, various Acorn computers, heaps of Windows PCs with either MS-DOS, 3.1 or 95, AS/400, quite a few SUN blades and loads of others that I forget.

I didn't actually use a Mac when I was given an iPod 1st Gen which required one. I had to use my Dad's PowerMac G3 to sync it. In all honesty, I wasn't very impressed with OS 9 at the time.

Despite that however, when I was 12 and it came time for me to buy my own machine for high school, I chose the iMac G4. It was sort of love on first sight. It screams even today and is the very machine I'm typing this post on.

So no, thanks to my tech crazy Dad, I was brought up on a load of crazy junk. :)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, mostly because I was an adult when the Macintosh was first released :eek:

As noted in another thread, I started my computing days with a TRS-80 Color Computer. I moved on to IBM PC XT. At some point I had a Macintosh SE and various PC clones.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I grew up with no computers at all. I didn't get introduced to them until late in high school when Windows 3.1 and then Windows 95 came out. Then I didn't get my own until 1998 when I bought a PC. It wasn't until 2006 that I bought my first Mac.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Our school only had one computer which was reserved for the use a handful of really brainy students. I never even saw it so I've not idea what it was.

The first computer I ever used was an all-in-one HP running a CAD/CAM package in 1983. It was very slow.

My first experience with a PC came in 1993 and I soon got the bug and bought my first computer running Windows 3.11 in 1994.

The first time I used a Mac was on a Photoshop course in 2001. I fell in love with the hardware but hated OS 9. OS X changed my mind and I eventually got my first Mac in 2004.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
I grew up with no computers at all. I didn't get introduced to them until late in high school when Windows 3.1 and then Windows 95 came out. Then I didn't get my own until 1998 when I bought a PC. It wasn't until 2006 that I bought my first Mac.

Aah, Windows 3.1 and Windows For Workgroups 3.11, Such themes as "Hot Dog Stand":eek:

The Tascam must have been universally popular...they sold in their thousands here in the UK, and since I was back home then...I remember Radio Shack selling them too.

One of these day's I'm going to find a museum which has stuff like this on display..It would be great to have a look see at the old stuff we had. In terms of progress...It's insane..I'm typing this on a 13" rMBP with a 500GB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

I can remember 20MB ( yep MB) Hard drives and memory measured in MB also.

I can remember one of my last Windows PC's...It was a 486DX100 with 8MB of ram and a IMB Ciruus Logic graphics card.

I had one of the first CD / Soundcard combos installed and a 1GB HDD.

Seriously, friends used to come over to see it..:)

T.Doyobi

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2013
I started with an Amstrad CPC6128, then got an Amiga 500, then a 486 DX then another PC which I think was a Pentium. Mostly I was into games so these were good systems. Then I decided I needed a laptop for Uni as I was going to be away from home and travelling back, this is when I looked at Macs.

I got a TiBook G4 800 as my friend had been using a Mac at college for music and said it crashed less and had fewer problems than the music PC's, I fancied a change and games were not as important to me then as I had an Xbox. So I wanted to go with something that would hopefully be more reliable. So I went with a PowerBook.

I had never spent that much on a computer before and it was a gamble, when I was younger and into PC's I had hardly heard of Apple. So it wasn't even a consideration. But I liked OS X, at the time I came from XP which I was familiar with but after using OS X, I preferred it. I latterly got Logic Pro and found that it mostly ran well. On my PC I often had problems with the audio, not sure why might be my audio card drivers, but wanted a system that would 'just work'.

I got a lot of audio overload errors in Logic but overall it ran better than the software I was used to using on PC's and I, at this point, went Mac. I loved my PowerBook, it was the nicest computer I had owned. And being a bit geeky I relished the idea of using a totally different OS.

I remember a friend of mine had a PC laptop, he once asked me how often my PowerBook crashed, never, I said and he couldn't believe it.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Apple/Macs are not totally trouble free, I've had problems with SuperDrives and even crashing since. Recently my Mac Mini was crashing regularly until I reinstalled the OS, now it has just done it again in the past two weeks. I don't have a problem with PC's and like using them too, plus they can work out quite a bit cheaper for a relatively powerful system. But I am still a fan of OS X and so long as I can afford Macs, I will get one.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
We had Macs in some of the computer labs when I was in grade school in the early 90s. Ever since then, it was always Windows computers. Just about everyone had the perception that Macs were expensive and not compatible with anything.

As an adult I bought 2 Windows laptops before getting fed up with their issues and inefficiencies before I finally bought a MacBook Pro. Will never be going back to a Windows PC (though I'm forced to Bootcamp Windows 7 for AutoCAD and a few games I like to play).

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
we always had dell's. i remember i found an iPod classic in the park across from my house and showed it to my parents and they said how expensive it was. once the iPod nano was released we started getting iPods and now me and my sister both have macs.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I grew up both, Windows and Mac. We always had windows computers at home and then of course I used Macs all through my school years.

When I got a job and started saving up some money, I bought a MacBook Pro of my own. Now I have an iMac.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
In my day our High School got a donation of 25 original Macs (1985) I was part of the team that had to connect them together (no adults could figure it out).

By the time I got to college the school had a main VAX system with terminals. My dorm roommate got a Amiga and I did find that pretty cool.

As an adult my first self bought Mac was the Power Mac 6500 and been Mac/iOS since then.

Last edited:

Todd H

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2002
Eastman, Georgia
Nope. I was an Amiga guy for a long time after owning various 8-bit machines like the Atari 600 and C64. We did have some Apple IIs in our high school that I used regularly.

Probably the first time I ever used a Mac was in the early 90's while in college. We had a few labs that ran nothing but Macs. I remember liking them but still love my Amigas more.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm afraid I grew up before the Mac.

Apple //e at the house and at school the last few years of high school (along with DEC PDP minicomputers and Rainbows among others). Met my first 128K the summer before college while staying at a cousin's house. Used a Commodore 128D and a Tandy 80*1*86 PC clone (self-upgraded to NEC V30) at home throughout college, but used the Mac labs as much as possible.

My 15 years away from Apple (1989-2004) began in grad school where PC/Linux started taking over my computing life. The web and iTunes brought me back.

B

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I grew up on Windows for sure. I actually work as a Windows Server administrator now. But the only Windows machine I have now is the one I need for my job. Everything else is Apple and iOS or OS X.

I knew Apple existed growing up. My brother had a Apple IIe which I thought was cool. But it was always pretty pricy stuff so I never much considered Apple at all..........Till I was old enough to afford it on my own and was just so impressed by Steve's Keynote on the iPhone 4 that I tossed my Moto Droid paid the large early termination fee with Verizon and got an AT&T iPhone 4. Since then its been all Apple, and I mean LOTS of it.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Nah, grew up with Windows machines. I think we've had a computer in the house since I was a kid, and back then Windows 3.11 had just came out.

I didn't get a Mac until 2007-ish when I was 18. A going away present from my parents for college. My dad was somewhat amused, he always saw them as toys compared to the setups he had built for work.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I grew up on an Apple IIe. I was 8 years old when my parents purchased it. They thought that if I could somehow figure it out, I would have a very successful career when I became an adult.

So far, I haven't proven them wrong. :)

I still have that Apple IIe, and all of the disks with it. Despite all of the hardcore gamers that are out there playing <insert new bloody/gory FPS game here>, nothing beats a simplistic game of Lemonade Stand, Spy Hunter, Choplifter, or Karateka. Half of my reports through elementary school were typed up and printed off that IIe.

Sometimes the simpler things work out better than latest & greatest.

Back on topic. Used that IIe up to college, when despite my wanting a Mac, my parents bought a PC instead. that in turn got me onto both, then went Linux primarily with a bit of PC, until the iPhone came out. Got tired of the whole lot, went Mac exclusively, and haven't looked back.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.