Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1
d_saum
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to d_saum Send a message via Yahoo to d_saum
How to view photos without using iPhoto?

Does anyone know of a good way to view a bunch of photos without putting them into iPhoto? I know I can view them in the preview, but (and I hate to say this) I really like the photo viewing utility in WIN XP, how you can just double click a pic, then hit the arrow keys to scroll through all the pics in that folder!

Is there a way to do that with preview? Or some other way?

Thanks!
iPod shuffle
d_saum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_saum
Does anyone know of a good way to view a bunch of photos without putting them into iPhoto? I know I can view them in the preview, but (and I hate to say this) I really like the photo viewing utility in WIN XP, how you can just double click a pic, then hit the arrow keys to scroll through all the pics in that folder!

Is there a way to do that with preview? Or some other way?

Thanks!
Preview can do it http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=166431

B
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3
floatingspirit
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingspirit
Hi. Just select all the pics at once and open them simultaneously. Then you'll be able to use the up and down arrows to "scroll" through them all. Simple and easy I think. (I won't hold it against you that you miss that windows thing, but this should help you out )
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:58 AM   #4
devman
macrumors 65816

I'm not 100% sure what you're after (never seen the XP thing you're talking about), but...

You can select multiple images and load them all into Preview (Ctrl-Click and Open with Preview) and then step through them in preview.

Or, you can select multiple images in Finder, then Ctrl-Click and select Slideshow. If you move the mouse during the slideshow you'll get a control panel which will let you pause, step forward and back, etc.

Edit: wow! 3 replies in the time it took me to select my threads to read and then type the above. Oh well, what the others said re: Preview.
devman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:04 PM   #5
d_saum
macrumors 6502

awesome! Thanks for the help! Its kind of funny, I tried it before, but not with ctrl clicking and open with preview. I just selected all and tried to open. Thanks again!
iPod shuffle
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:41 PM   #6
toneloco2881
macrumors 6502

Apple really needs to simplify this process methinks. The slideshow function was a step in the right direction but it still needs work. You should just be able to click on a single pic then be able to click to other pictures within the same folder. Why hasn't Apple implemented this simple, and seemingly obvious, functionality?
toneloco2881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:43 PM   #7
reh
macrumors 6502a

I find JView (a free third-party app) much better than preview for viewing images.
reh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 02:14 PM   #8
d_saum
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by reh
I find JView (a free third-party app) much better than preview for viewing images.
JView you say? (scratches chin) Where might one find it? I suppose I could google it...lol. I'll have to check it out.
iPod shuffle
Old Jan 8, 2006, 04:33 PM   #9
tag
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_saum
JView you say? (scratches chin) Where might one find it? I suppose I could google it...lol. I'll have to check it out.
JView can be found here.
tag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:52 PM   #10
liquidsense
macrumors member

I remember researching this same issue the other day, and all I came across were posts like these, suggesting that the OP highlight all the photos in a directory and view them in preview.

This might already be out there all over the place, but I thought it would be helpful for newbies like me. Once in a folder, just highlight a single picture, and click the eye button (quick look / slideshow). You can then use the arrow keys to scroll through all the pictures in the folder.
liquidsense is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:54 PM   #11
Trip.Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post
I remember researching this same issue the other day, and all I came across were posts like these, suggesting that the OP highlight all the photos in a directory and view them in preview.

This might already be out there all over the place, but I thought it would be helpful for newbies like me. Once in a folder, just highlight a single picture, and click the eye button (quick look / slideshow). You can then use the arrow keys to scroll through all the pictures in the folder.
This is what I use, I find it quite elegant and quick.
Trip.Tucker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:23 AM   #12
BetentacledBrad
macrumors newbie

I'm afraid that liquidsense's contribution is actually a bit irrelevant: quick view is a Leopard feature, and the thread was started in 2006, long before Leopard was released. Hence, toneloco2881's complaint was actually entirely valid, and Apple addressed it in the next release of the OS (a year and a half later...). Of course, it is also true that this "simple, and seemingly obvious, functionality" was present in WinXP in 2001, so it does seem like Apple could have done the same in a bit less than the 6 years that they took...
BetentacledBrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store