Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 9, 2003, 02:04 AM   #1
Wardofsky
macrumors 65816

10 Week Wait

Naturally I want to get one of the new PB's (The 12inch one) but, here in Australia(No puns please), there is a 10 week(!) wait until they are here, and then a 2-4 build time.
Wardofsky is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 02:23 AM   #2
NicoMan
macrumors 6502a

A bit off topic, but funny how your first name is spelt. I thought that in English speaking countries it was spelt Edward.

Anyway, back to the subject, 10 week is a looooong time. I feel for you. Especially when it is more than likely that they will be made in Taiwan or something, which would make it closer to you than to the US or Europe...

Patience, patience...

NicoMan

Last edited by NicoMan; Jan 9, 2003 at 02:31 AM.
NicoMan is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 02:29 AM   #3
Wardofsky
macrumors 65816

My Name

Quote:
Originally posted by NicoMan
A bit off topic, but funny how your first name is spelled. I thought that in English speaking countries it was spelled Edward.
I believe my name is French.
Wardofsky is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 02:33 AM   #4
NicoMan
macrumors 6502a

Re: My Name

Quote:
Originally posted by Wardofsky

I believe my name is French.
You are absolutely right (I am French and my bro's name is spelt like yours).

Nicoman
NicoMan is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 05:06 AM   #5
jaguarx
macrumors regular

Yea i'm in Australia too and i want to get a 17".
I'm going to singapore in about a month, hopefuly they'll have them there by then, fingers crossed.

I'm in melbourne too, what suburb are you in? I'm in Sandringham =)
jaguarx is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 06:54 AM   #6
Squire
macrumors 68000

Waiting for a Book

Hey, I can relate to the guy Down Under. I called an Apple reseller here in Korea yesterday. They had both of the new PowerBooks listed on their site. Asked them about the 12-incher and they said 2 months. (I could've sworn Steve said 2 weeks.)

When I asked them about the superdrive-equipped one, they estimated it to be about $350 more! Ouch. (Could've sworn Steve said $200.) I hope they were just ill-informed. I might have to go for an eMac.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 08:16 AM   #7
Wardofsky
macrumors 65816

The new metal

I wonder what the new metal (Can't remeber the name) would feel, look, taste (Whoops, I uhh, wasn't meant to say that out loud), was one of the reasons of changing the metal for better reception, but then again they did put the anteneas visibly on the screen.

Last edited by Wardofsky; Jan 9, 2003 at 07:12 PM.
Wardofsky is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 04:37 PM   #8
losfp
macrumors regular

Did you find out from a reseller re: the timeframe?

Actually that's probably not a bad thing for me. Gives me time to actually save up cash for it instead of putting it on the credit card!! I might call one of the local applecentres to confirm that it's going to take @)#*$)#@( ages. Also I guess it forces me to wait until proper reviews of the machines come out.

Honestly, how long does it take to ship them? Aren't they all built in Taiwan or something anyway?
losfp is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 04:56 PM   #9
jaguarx
macrumors regular

I got the timeframe from the apple.com.au store order sheet.

For some wierd reason the Singapore store site does not have the new PBs yet, but it has an image of the 17" and 'coming soon' on the side, wtf?!
jaguarx is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 06:48 PM   #10
Wardofsky
macrumors 65816

My Superb Suberb

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguarx
Yea i'm in Australia too and i want to get a 17".
I'm going to singapore in about a month, hopefuly they'll have them there by then, fingers crossed.

I'm in melbourne too, what suburb are you in? I'm in Sandringham =)
I am in the humble Middle Park, if you don't know where that is, it's next to Albert Park (The Grand Prick ;-)

*Edit*

I think the 17's are cool but a bit too big for my liking, however it has some of the coolest features that a notebook could offer (The keyboard, speakers, the biggest laptop screen...).

I like the 12's because it would be easy enough to carry around the place in my backpack.

Last edited by Wardofsky; Jan 9, 2003 at 06:51 PM.
Wardofsky is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 07:08 PM   #11
Wardofsky
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by losfp
Did you find out from a reseller re: the timeframe?
I know a "friend" in one of the Apple Authorized Reseller stores, he said about a 10 week wait until they get them in.
Wardofsky is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 07:30 PM   #12
losfp
macrumors regular

D'oh, as they say in the classics.

Nevermind. I don't have the money now anyway (though it's a close call that I might have slapped it on the credit card anyway, if it was available today )
losfp is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 07:50 PM   #13
losfp
macrumors regular

Hmmm.. i just called a place in Sydney, and they said they were expecting deliveries late Jan, early feb. That's very different to ten weeks! Might call a few more places and see if the stories match ;-)
losfp is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:53 AM   #14
Wardofsky
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by losfp
Hmmm.. i just called a place in Sydney, and they said they were expecting deliveries late Jan, early feb. That's very different to ten weeks! Might call a few more places and see if the stories match ;-)
Well, I was told 10 weeks, but then again, the iMacs coming in were unpredictable so, who knows...
Wardofsky is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2003, 05:58 AM   #15
benixau
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to benixau
hmmmm ....

low stock (none)
very hard to get
long wait

based on previous asumptions (15" imacs) that means that we are going to see an update of the powerbooks sometime soon.

oh well it is a rumor site
Old Jan 10, 2003, 09:24 AM   #16
datalok
macrumors member

just ask anyone who works in an Apple dealership about Apple Australias stock control and delivery systems - the words pissup brewery and organise are bound to crop up!

BTW - I'm in Moorabbin
datalok is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2003, 07:52 PM   #17
Liamcow

Send a message via AIM to Liamcow
Quote:
was one of the reasons of changing the metal for better reception, but then again they did put the anteneas visibly on the screen.
The metal They used is Aluminum, John Ive said that it's actually "aircraft grade anodized aluminum" ...it's supposed to be really light...
The old TiBooks were really easily scratched and the paint chipped all the time, so they made it out of a stronger metal...I guess it helps for reception also...
Liamcow is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2003, 08:36 AM   #18
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a

Anybody know how long til we can expect to see the 12" for sale is the US?
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:34 AM   #19
Liamcow

Send a message via AIM to Liamcow
SATURDAY, FEBUARY 1ST!!!! TOMORROW 10:30amEST!!!!
as you can see, I'm buying my 12" powerbook tomorrow
Liamcow is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers