Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Just trying to see if someone can give me a reason to get it or some other reason I do not need to spend the money. Once I buy it, there will be a Life Proof case waiting to protect it from all things Bad.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I decided to get apple care this time on my Air. It's a newer device with some newer tech in it. Figured it was worth a shot this time. It can and will be argued all day as to whether it's worth it or not. I say yes but that's just my opinion.

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
I was going to buy an Apple leather case for $69 for my 64GB iPad Air, but instead purchased AppleCare for $99 (only $30 more), for your $1000 device seems like a wise choice to me, the piece of mind is nice to have, but everyone has there own opinions/ideas :D

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just a thought, out of warranty replacement costs the same regardless if it's 16GB or 128GB. If you don't anticipate any accidents though, I'd just make use of the free extended warranty offered by credit card manufacturers. Last I checked, my Amex, Discover and Visa credit cards all have this.

Kangda

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
For a higher priced model - the LTE 128gb being the highest priced Air there is, I personally would pay the extra $99 for Applecare. A 16gb Wifi only, I wouldn't bother.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I've had my headphone jack malfunction for no apparent reason on an iPhone 4 and three years on, my iPhone 2G developed wifi problems. It's the little things like that, that the extended AppleCare is good for.

Cases don't protect against the actual hardware failing.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
I also got the Apple Care this time with my Air. When I bought the iPad 4 last time, I opted not to get it. Why did I get it this time? Silly reason perhaps, but I was (and remain) a bit wary of the very thing that I like best in the Air - its slim profile and light weight. As much as I appreciate these attributes, when compared to my iPad4, it makes the Air seem rather fragile to me. Apple Care is my insurance against this feeling. Maybe a purely psychological thing.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
As someone who hates the bulk of cases and not to mention their absurd price tag.. I decided to purchase AppleCare+ for my Air. I figured $100 is a little over the price of a great case (those things can go from 30-70$!!) and the $70 replacement fee is a helluva lot cheaper than a new iPad.

I now use my iPad naked with no fear of breaking it - $70 isn't exactly chump change but I figure the pleasure of using it naked is worth the $70 gamble.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I have never bought Applecare, then again, I have never bought such an expensive iPad, if I was spending that much money, I would buy the protection for it as well.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Just trying to see if someone can give me a reason to get it or some other reason I do not need to spend the money. Once I buy it, there will be a Life Proof case waiting to protect it from all things Bad.

Save your money and purchase it with an American Express for their extra year of warranty and 90 days of theft and damage protection.

I have never purchased Applecare for any of my IOS devices. I have used the American Express warranty twice over the years and they were a pleasure to work with.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have never purchased Applecare for any of my IOS devices. I have used the American Express warranty twice over the years and they were a pleasure to work with.
Curious as I've never used this before, what happens if you have out of warranty issues with your device? Do you send it to them for repair or do they refund you the repair cost or something? This is the route I'm taking going forward so I'd just like to know their policy. :)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'll buck the trend and say NO. Most credit cards double the warranty so you are looking at 2 years if something goes wrong. By the time the warranty is ready to expire, you'll be looking for every excuse in the book to buy the latest model.

You are in casing the Air in good protection. That should suffice.

----------

Curious as I've never used this before, what happens if you have out of warranty issues with your device? Do you send it to them for repair or do they refund you the repair cost or something? This is the route I'm taking going forward so I'd just like to know their policy. :)

Most credit cards offer an additional year of warranty. If after the second year you need service Apple will in most cases send you a refurb as a replacement.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Most credit cards offer an additional year of warranty. If after the second year you need service Apple will in most cases send you a refurb as a replacement.
To be more specific, I'd like to know how Amex handles such requests. With AppleCare, it's easy. Just bring it to the store and they'll replace it with a refurb right then and there. Do you have it repaired or replaced yourself and just ask Amex for reimbursement or something? Also curious, do they reimburse you for the full purchase price or just the cost of the repair?

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California

If you have a problem after the Apple one year warranty, you file a claim with American Express which you can do online on your account. My problem was a bad home button on an iPhone 5. I believe I had to email in a copy of the original receipt and warranty. Within a week they credited my account for the original purchase price. I believe if the original purchase price is higher than the out or warranty replacement cost at Apple they may pay for the lower cost instead.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you have a problem after the Apple one year warranty, you file a claim with American Express which you can do online on your account. My problem was a bad home button on an iPhone 5. I believe I had to email in a copy of the original receipt and warranty. Within a week they credited my account for the original purchase price. I believe if the original purchase price is higher than the out or warranty replacement cost at Apple they may pay for the lower cost instead.
Was your iPhone subsidized? If so, did American Express just pay for the upfront cost that got charged to the card or for the phone's entire value (or whatever the replacement cost is)? I had gotten my mom AppleCare+ since her last phone died a watery death. She's actually had to use AppleCare since her white iPhone 5 also had a bad home button 5 weeks after the 1-year warranty expired. She's a lot more careful with her phone now and since we tend to have a bunch of iOS devices, I figure it's not really prudent to spend $500+ a year on AppleCare. Thanks! :eek:

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Was your iPhone subsidized? If so, did American Express just pay for the upfront cost that got charged to the card or for the phone's entire value (or whatever the replacement cost is)? I had gotten my mom AppleCare+ since her last phone died a watery death. She's actually had to use AppleCare since her white iPhone 5 also had a bad home button 5 weeks after the 1-year warranty expired. She's a lot more careful with her phone now and since we tend to have a bunch of iOS devices, I figure it's not really prudent to spend $500+ a year on AppleCare. Thanks! :eek:

Yes mine was the subsidized cost. They will usually pay the actual cost that was originally charged to the Amex card.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
For a higher priced model - the LTE 128gb being the highest priced Air there is, I personally would pay the extra $99 for Applecare. A 16gb Wifi only, I wouldn't bother.

See the post above. Worst case, you pay for "out of warranty replacement" which gives you a refurbished iPad identical to yours. It costs the same to replace a 16GB Wifi or a 128GB LTE.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I never buy applecare and so far this has been fine for me. My mac mini died a few months ago, but it was a 2007 refurb and well past any warranty even applecare would have provided.

My ipad 1 is still going just fine too and also past any warranty applecare would have provided.

I figure if my new 128GB Air develops a problem after the standard warranty, I'll just deal with it. With all the money i haven't spent on applecare over the years, I can afford it.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Just made up my mind and purchased an iPad Air 128GB White with Applecare and I am getting a Life Proof case for it as well, have LP on my phone and it works 100%, also want my expensive investment protected from day to day BS….

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I usually buy applecare for my laptops, but generally speaking I've never purchased it for my iPhone or iPads. I can't say if that's a wise decision, only time will tell but for some reason I don't feel the need for the extended warranty.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I do the same and have only purchased Apple Care for my new rMBPro due to it cost. I have never purchased this warranty for any of my iPhones or iPads. It may not be wise but I am not a big believer in extended warranties and seldom purchase them.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Since I have purchased about 20 different IOS devices for my family over the years and have never purchased AppleCare, I have banked about $2,000 in cost savings. If I ever need to do an out of warranty replacement I'm still way ahead!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I would only get Applecare if I was buying an expensive laptop. When it comes to iDevices, I wouldn't consider it only because my purchase is covered an additional year thru American Express and if there is a problem after the 24 months I have an excuse to buy a new device.

I'm not saying the OP made a bad choice because it's a personal decision but if I were encasing my iPad in a rugged case, i'd take my chances. Those rugged cases cost a lot of money by themselves.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA

Going by your signature, applecare wil not come in handy only for your iPad, but also for the rest of your products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.