Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 9, 2003, 07:59 AM   #1
melchior
macrumors 65816

3-4 week wait on 5gb ipod

surely this is a definite sign of an upcoming change in the line-up.

january 25th? coinciding with an itunes update for ilife?
melchior is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 08:04 AM   #2
ChicagoMac
macrumors regular

Possibly an update on the ipod, but Steve said that ITunes had already been updated. I'm just waiting for a new Imac, but a new Ipod would be cool too.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 08:11 AM   #3
melchior
macrumors 65816

if there was an itunes 4 it would have been at mw but an itunes 3.02 could be ok....

as the 5gb ipod needed to be updated to allow aac across the board.

does anyone still believe in the tabset rumors? eweek and cnet were pretty sure. did the source or the reporter mistake the description of the 12" for a tablet?

i am not anticipating a tablet from apple.
melchior is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 09:12 AM   #4
iGod
macrumors member

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/0...eut/index.html

Portable media player coming

Microsoft also said it is working with Intel Corp. on a design for portable players code-named "Media2Go." The devices, which would hold at least 12 hours of audio or six hours of video, are targeted to hit retailers later this year.

Among the companies that will build the units, Microsoft said, are Sanyo, Samsung and ViewSonic. The new players will feature screens at least four inches wide, with ports to connect them to television sets for video-quality playback.
iGod is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 09:14 AM   #5
iGod
macrumors member

See quote from CNN. CLEARLY Apple video/mp3 players must be just around the corner.

Give them six weeks. Or less.
iGod is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 09:40 AM   #6
lmalave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lmalave Send a message via MSN to lmalave Send a message via Yahoo to lmalave Send a message via Skype™ to lmalave
Quote:
Originally posted by iGod
See quote from CNN. CLEARLY Apple video/mp3 players must be just around the corner.

Give them six weeks. Or less.
Which quote are you talking about? Apple was mentioned in the article, but not in relation to the portable video players (those were clearly a Microsoft/Intel effort). Are you assuming that Apple will follow whatever WinTel is doing? That wasn't the case with the Tablet PCs. I don't see Apple making their own devices - I see them partnering with other companies to Rendezvous-enable their devices, like the deal they just announced with Tivo...
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:39 PM   #7
Macpoops
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Macpoops
This wintelpod that is talked about is only going to hold 12 hours of audio and 6 hours of video? My 5gig ipod holds 2.4 days worth of music. And if video was encoded in the motion jpeg codec in fcp you could carry 5 hours of high quality video
Macpoops is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:54 PM   #8
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

Re: 3-4 week wait on 5gb ipod

Quote:
Originally posted by melchior
surely this is a definite sign of an upcoming change in the line-up.

january 25th? coinciding with an itunes update for ilife?
i wanted to order an iPod (right after christmas), Apple could not guarantee me an iPod (1 week before Christmas).

i wanted to wait till Christmas is over, but then i heard, the wait would be 2 weeks at the earliest.

i thought, ok, iPodupdate on the 7th.

but that was a no go too. let's see what will happen soon.
redAPPLE is offline   0
Old Jan 9, 2003, 07:47 PM   #9
MacFan25
macrumors 68000

Re: Re: 3-4 week wait on 5gb ipod

Quote:
Originally posted by redAPPLE

i wanted to order an iPod (right after christmas), Apple could not guarantee me an iPod (1 week before Christmas).

i wanted to wait till Christmas is over, but then i heard, the wait would be 2 weeks at the earliest.

i thought, ok, iPodupdate on the 7th.

but that was a no go too. let's see what will happen soon.
That sounds like me. I have been wanting an iPod since after Christmas, but decided to wait until after MWSF, and now I think that I am going to wait until Jan. 25. I am really hoping for update/price drops. So, I guess that I will see what happens on the 25th.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:09 AM   #10
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: 3-4 week wait on 5gb ipod

Quote:
Originally posted by MacFan25

That sounds like me. I have been wanting an iPod since after Christmas, but decided to wait until after MWSF, and now I think that I am going to wait until Jan. 25. I am really hoping for update/price drops. So, I guess that I will see what happens on the 25th.
At this rate you are never going to buy...I feel sorry for you...I have been enjoying my old 10Gb iPod everyday since I bought it and can't imagine being without it now. Even if Apple updates the iPod...I'll be very happy with mine...it does what I need perfectly...It holds tons of music, is small and has good battery life...I don't need to watch videos on the go.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:56 AM   #11
g30ffr3y
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to g30ffr3y
so its not just me... i too was going to buy an ipod after christmas... the 20 gig... ive been ripping all my cds to my powerbook and an rather eager to dump them all to an ipod... then after reading all the rumors i figured id wait til after mwsf... now im waiting til after ilife comes out b/c it seems practical that an ilife device would be introduced to further link all the iapps... i cant believe im waiting this long for something i would use everyday... i bought a clie nx70v the day it came out and its currently sitting under some laundry in my room... aaaaahhhhhhhhh c'mon apple!!!!!!!

01.29.04 begin
01.29.07 engage
05.17.08 forever
g30ffr3y is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:15 AM   #12
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by g30ffr3y
so its not just me... i too was going to buy an ipod after christmas... the 20 gig... ive been ripping all my cds to my powerbook and an rather eager to dump them all to an ipod... then after reading all the rumors i figured id wait til after mwsf... now im waiting til after ilife comes out b/c it seems practical that an ilife device would be introduced to further link all the iapps... i cant believe im waiting this long for something i would use everyday... i bought a clie nx70v the day it came out and its currently sitting under some laundry in my room... aaaaahhhhhhhhh c'mon apple!!!!!!!
Sell the Clie and buy an iPod...NOW! then if something new comes out...sell the iPod, add some $$ and buy the new one.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 04:36 PM   #13
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

anybody know?

question:

if an apple product is ordered and let us say, the delivery would take 3 to 4 weeks.

and within the 3-4 weeks an update of the product comes out...

taken for granted, the price is the same (if not cheaper), would one get the updated product or not?

does anyone have any experience with this?
redAPPLE is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 05:52 PM   #14
cliffm
macrumors member

Talking

I ordered a 20 gigger and I think its in the process of being shipped oh wells.. The Ipod needs a cosmetic makover, its looked the same for way too long. Aluminum to match the new PowerBooks maybe? The old one looked like an ibook, so why not? Also, they should add a lightup logo to make it match the Powerbook even more
cliffm is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 05:55 PM   #15
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffm
I ordered a 20 gigger and I think its in the process of being shipped oh wells.. The Ipod needs a cosmetic makover, its looked the same for way too long. Aluminum to match the new PowerBooks maybe? The old one looked like an ibook, so why not? Also, they should add a lightup logo to make it match the Powerbook even more
A light up logo adds nothing but a higher price...as far as a make-over...I'm sure it will happen...look how that Sony Walkman has evolved.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 06:03 PM   #16
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Also, they should add a lightup logo to make it match the Powerbook even more
Battery waste. The iPod spends most of its time in a case, in your pocket.
But then again, whereas Apple is being run by a brilliant marketer with the uncanny ability to bend people to his will, Gateway is being run by a man perfectly willing to go on television and show the world that he solicits business advice from a talking cow...
Nipsy is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 06:05 PM   #17
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by Nipsy

Battery waste. The iPod spends most of its time in a case, in your pocket.
No case for me...I just let it get scratched up and dirty...I like it that way. If it breaks, throw it in the gutter and go by another.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 06:08 PM   #18
cliffm
macrumors member

Thats why I think Aluminum would be the best choice, no scratches. Not sure how the face would be with the controls though.
cliffm is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 06:10 PM   #19
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thats why I think Aluminum would be the best choice, no scratches. Not sure how the face would be with the controls though.
Could be cool...but would make you look like you had a flask of booze on your person.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 07:41 PM   #20
GiantXX5
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to GiantXX5
I'am waiting a little to get a new iPod myself. And I guess I will at least wait until the 25th. However, the 25th doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why wouldnt they have shown of the new itunes and or the new ipods?? I mean iLife would have looked a lot better if iTunes was updated too, right? They come out with the new TiBooks and they say they wont be available in a few weeks, why wouldn't they just do that with the iPods at MW?? Where did you get that information that you couldn't get a 5GB iPod for 3-4 weeks anyways? For some reason I don't think its gonna happen on the 25th, but I'm still hopin it will.

Last edited by GiantXX5; Jan 12, 2003 at 07:43 PM.
GiantXX5 is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2003, 07:54 PM   #21
PeteyNice
macrumors newbie

The 3-4 weeks thing comes from the Apple Store Online. Both 5 GB versions are listed at 3-4 Weeks, The other sizes are set as 1-2 days.
PeteyNice is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers