Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby dazzler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Hi All,

Well, well, well. Siri has been updated in iOS7 and you can get it to pronounce your contact names properly and a whole host of other stuff too.

Let alone the voice change that is so much better (UK at least) and doesn't sound like my old geography school master anymore.
...sounds more like Robin Williams in Bicentennial Man.

Brilliant work Apple - I like it!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Siri has always been worthless (compare it to Google search via the available microphone).

It may enunciate names better, but it is so broken - unless you like hearing "Would you like me to search the Web for that" ?

Update: By the way, Siri still cannot properly understand a request to pronounce your username.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hi All,

Well, well, well. Siri has been updated in iOS7 and you can get it to pronounce your contact names properly and a whole host of other stuff too.

Let alone the voice change that is so much better (UK at least) and doesn't sound like my old geography school master anymore.
...sounds more like Robin Williams in Bicentennial Man.

Brilliant work Apple - I like it!

See, that will teach you to say anything nice about anything!

Griping is required!:rolleyes:

;):D

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
I asked for the weather yesterday. Siri usually says the word "Brr", but this time she actually made a shivering noise. It was a nice touch. But I would have rather had a temperature above freezing. I know, that's totally outside Apple's control.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Shame I can't use it. Merely having Siri switched on (iPhone5) and without shake to raise toggled, I lose approx one hour of battery life per charge cycle - and that's without even using Siri.
Switching it off gained me more battery life than any other 'tweak'.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Shame I can't use it. Merely having Siri switched on (iPhone5) and without shake to raise toggled, I lose approx one hour of battery life per charge cycle - and that's without even using Siri.

Sorry, but I just don't believe that.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Well, did you actually ask Siri something? ;)

Here's the deal. I said "Siri, how do I get home from here?" She chose to interpret what I said in that way. I thought "oh well, if that's how she wants to do it..." But nope, she didn't want to do that either.

It's still better than this one:

"Siri how do I get to Chris Smith's house?"
Siri: "You have no new messages."

I was able to repeat that one multiple times, same answer every time.
She transcribed the question perfectly, so hearing me wasn't the issue.

She just has it out for me.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Which bit don't you believe? I never used Siri but always had it switched on. I read in some battery life posts here within the last 10 days that switching Siri off was the best thing someone did for their battery life. I tried it on that recommendation and found much better results too. I went from getting 4-5 hrs usage to 5-6.
I have an iPhone 5, no idea if this helps anyone else but it certainly helped me. iOS7 on the iPhone 5, or mine at least, has lousy battery life. I have almost crippled my phone by switching features off in order to get more juice.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Well, did you actually ask Siri something? ;)
You don't have to. If you say "I'm so drunk" she offers to call you a taxi and if you say "I want to kill myself" she offers to call you the suicide hotline

I noticed after I typed this that you may have been sarcastic lol

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Here's the deal. I said "Siri, how do I get home from here?"

That's not what you asked on the screenshot you posted previously! You just told Siri you don't know how to get home but didn't ask her to show you directions. I am human and I would have told you the same if you weren't able to find your home.

This is what Siri would have done if you did asked her to perform that task in the way you described.....

Attachments

• photo (1).PNG
    photo (1).PNG
    296.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You just told Siri you don't know how to get home

No, I didn't.

I said "Siri, how do I get home from here."

It's nice that that you believe Siri over me, but I'm telling you, I was there and she's lying.

So ok, she misheard me. No big deal. But that still don't explain this one, which I can replicate 100% of the time, over and over again.

chris%20house.jpg

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Siri never asks me if I want to search the web anymore, she just does it. In the many months I've had iOS7 she hasn't said "would you like me to search the web" once. I figured they'd just removed it as a response.

I like Siri more than Google Now, purely because it's integrated much better. Despite it only being a swipe away, every person I've given an Android phone to completely ignores Google Now because no handset besides the Nexus actually tells you its there. Instead manufacturers would rather push bullcrap like S Voice.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
It's nice that that you believe Siri over me

Why wouldn't I? Frankly, I know far more about Siri then I know about you!

Anyway, as to Chris's home direction! Not sure how you made that happen!
I tried countless of times contacts I have registered with home address and it didn't fail a single time!

Oh, and by the way, I have a thick Albanian accent.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    341 KB · Views: 95

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Here's an example of Siri I came across yesterday.

I say "Navigate to Watford Junction" (which is a train station 2 miles from my current location)
Siri asks me what Junction I mean and lists 3 others, none of which is correct.
I then go to Apple Maps and ask it to find Watford Junction, which it does straight away.

I don't get it!?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I decided to even try it out by turning it off on my iPhone 5 and after a couple of cycles I'm not seeing any noticeable difference in the battery use with it being on or off.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I decided to even try it out by turning it off on my iPhone 5 and after a couple of cycles I'm not seeing any noticeable difference in the battery use with it being on or off.

I'll try it again. I definitely noticed better battery life, but this was on 7.0.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.