Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'll try it again. I definitely noticed better battery life, but this was on 7.0.4
It'd be interesting to know.

Can't really imagine why simply having it enabled (without having the raise to speak enabled) would really use any more battery than not having it enabled.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It'd be interesting to know.

Can't really imagine why simply having it enabled (without having the raise to speak enabled) would really use any more battery than not having it enabled.

I can't understand it either. I will check again with it switched on in 7.1
I'm doing another restore this evening...

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
havent seen any my friends/family used siri once, i disabled mine as well. it's useless in most cases, apple overhyped this feature thru the roof.

ajfloridian

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
I 'defected' to Nexus 5 after not being able to stand the slow-ass animations and other quirks of iOS 7. Stayed with that phone for 4 months and came back to the 5S... one of the main reasons?! Google Now!! let me state just two things of the 20 or so grips I had with google now...

1. Having it understand ANYTHING while driving was a colossal effort. Guaranteed to get you in a wreck. Even speaking with phone glued to my mouth.

2. Telling it to find my friend Joseph's contact would result in ALWAYS getting google.com results for Joseph <last name> and scrolling down it'd show you your phone contact! WTF is that...

3. let me throw in a third thing anyways since I'm angry again thinking about it while typing this... "OK Google"! "Set a reminder to pickup grocery when I leave here"... ...thinking thinking thinking... NOTHING.

Basically, to me google now was centered around listening to me for the sake of giving search results on google.com so it could stock me around with targeted ads later vs giving a solution to my frickin question. Asking it to set a reminder for me doesn't result in anything where google can monetize... till they find a way haha...

Siri has always been worthless (compare it to Google search via the available microphone).

It may enunciate names better, but it is so broken - unless you like hearing "Would you like me to search the Web for that" ?

Update: By the way, Siri still cannot properly understand a request to pronounce your username.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
let me state just two things of the 20 or so grips I had with google now...

In my experience with Siri compared to the Google search app, in most every instance, the Google results are better than the Siri results.

Of course, since everyone has different questions, the results one gets might be different.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I 'defected' to Nexus 5 after not being able to stand the slow-ass animations and other quirks of iOS 7. Stayed with that phone for 4 months and came back to the 5S... one of the main reasons?! Google Now!! let me state just two things of the 20 or so grips I had with google now...

1. Having it understand ANYTHING while driving was a colossal effort. Guaranteed to get you in a wreck. Even speaking with phone glued to my mouth.

2. Telling it to find my friend Joseph's contact would result in ALWAYS getting google.com results for Joseph <last name> and scrolling down it'd show you your phone contact! WTF is that...

3. let me throw in a third thing anyways since I'm angry again thinking about it while typing this... "OK Google"! "Set a reminder to pickup grocery when I leave here"... ...thinking thinking thinking... NOTHING.

Basically, to me google now was centered around listening to me for the sake of giving search results on google.com so it could stock me around with targeted ads later vs giving a solution to my frickin question. Asking it to set a reminder for me doesn't result in anything where google can monetize... till they find a way haha...

Maybe you mumble?

4y6urepe.jpg

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Siri's general speech is better, but they removed a lot of her funny quirks! It took me forever to get her to tell me the story, and she doesn't give funny responses to "What's the meaning of life?" anymore. She also won't bring up cemeteries when you tell her you need to bury a body. They took all of the fun out of her :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.