Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Obviously the retina iPads are beautiful for higher resolution photos. But what about lower resolution photos you want to view full screen? Stuff under 1000x1000px. I know you can zoom in, but iOS only allows you to zoom in so far before it rubberbands on you. I'm not sure if that is 100% or just slightly beyond that when it stops you.

So it just got me thinking, if I were viewing a bunch of 640x480 photos and I wanted to view them full screen or even slightly zoomed in, would I be better off with a non-retina iPad?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Check a non retina and a retina iPad at your local apple store and see how thye perform.

I'd say the retina Mini is well worth it and I've not come across a situation where I thought the non-retina iPad would be better.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Depends entirely on whether higher res retina versions of those pictures are available. If yes, then the retina will look better. If not, then there is no real difference and the images will get just as blurry when zoomed in.

Personally I wouldn't bother with non-retina models unless you get a really good deal on one. The retina is just much more pleasant to read in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.