Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iTunes 6.0.2 and QuickTime 7.0.4

iTunes 6.0.2 is now in Software Update:

Quote:
With iTunes 6, you can preview, buy, and download over 2,000 music videos and hit TV shows on the iTunes Music Store and sync your music and purchased videos with iPod to enjoy on the go. To watch purchased videos, you must have QuickTime 7.0.3 or later and Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later.

iTunes 6.0.2 includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.1.

Note: After purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, you will also need to upgrade your other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to the latest version of iTunes.
The most visible change to iTunes is the MiniStore, a panel that appears below playlists, showing items from the iTunes Music Store. This feature can be turned on and off using Show/Hide MiniStore in the Edit menu or via a new button at the bottom right of the iTunes window. This feature is "on" by default.

QuickTime 7.0.4 has also been released:

Quote:
QuickTime 7.0.4 is an important release that delivers numerous bug fixes, support for iLife '06, and H.264 performance improvements. This update is highly recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.
QuickTime Pro Users not previously using QuickTime 7 will lose QuickTime Pro functionality without purchasing a new key.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Doctor Q
Administrator

Personally, I'm annoyed by the new ads (that's what the MiniStore is) appearing by default without my permission.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
yes im really annoyed with this ad crap to the bottom....what are they thinking *finally got on MR*

Bless
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q
Personally, I'm annoyed by the new ads (that's what the MiniStore is) appearing by default without my permission.
Especially when they advertise something which you can't even buy, due to geographic restrictions!
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Lacero
macrumors 601

Command+Shift+M will be your friend. Learn it well. Use it. Profit from it.

Here's to the Crazy Ones
Lacero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:45 PM   #6
FireArse
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to FireArse
class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacero
Command+Shift+M will be your friend. Learn it well. Use it. Profit from it.
You Legend.
FireArse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:54 PM   #7
treblah
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to treblah
Apple can shove that 'MiniStore' where the sun don't shine.

I am happy to see that older music videos downloaded as part of albums now have a 'poster frame' set as opposed to the black square. It seems to be a random frame though and I can't change it.
treblah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:10 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G5

I will definitely click the mini-store off

Now how about a checkbox to let us reverse the action of those little Store cross-link arrows next to everything in your library? I know you can turn them off, but if you option-click they cross link to YOUR library instead of to the store, and that's so useful it's worth keeping the link dots enabled. But I don't want to option-click. I want that function reversed.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
I will definitely click the mini-store off

Now how about a checkbox to let us reverse the action of those little Store cross-link arrows next to everything in your library? I know you can turn them off, but if you option-click they cross link to YOUR library instead of to the store, and that's so useful it's worth keeping the link dots enabled. But I don't want to option-click. I want that function reversed.
Check out iTunes prefs, click General tab, de-select the "Show links to the Music Store" checkbox
Stridder44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:58 PM   #10
hob
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44
Check out iTunes prefs, click General tab, de-select the "Show links to the Music Store" checkbox
Nah, he doesn't want to rid them, but I also would like something like this... maybe and applescript is in order?

Does the mini-advertising campaign load up each time you load iTunes? If so, I can't believe Apple sometimes!!

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jan 10, 2006 at 06:04 PM. Reason: edited due to off-topic responses
hob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:35 PM   #11
agentkow
macrumors 6502

But in my opinion, the bigest improvement is...

Okay I just fired up iTunes and guess what I found: if you are playing music through Airtunes, in the little pulldown menu where you choose the remote speaker you can choose Multiple Speakers and play through more than one at a time!

I am currently listening to music through both my Airport Express and my computer at the same time and in-sync with each other.

I don't know if it has to do with the Airport updates I did earlier today (which were realeased on January 3rd but I never saw until I was on the Apple download page trying to get the OS 10.4.4 update), but it works well and is, I think, a major new feature for iTunes/Airtunes.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:38 PM   #12
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob
Does the mini-advertising campaign load up each time you load iTunes? If so, I can't believe Apple sometimes!!
No but its still awful...
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:42 PM   #13
daddy-mojo
macrumors member

what mini store

I updated itunes and QT with the updates released today and there is no reference to a mini store in my itunes at all. even tried the command shift m and still nothing. can someone post a screen shot. Also, apple has pulled the QT update and posted a 7.0.1 re-installer. Maybe that has something to do with it.

edit. got it. in the regular library. I thought it was something in the music store itself like the Just For You section. Yah, that sucks. Don't need that.
daddy-mojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:50 PM   #14
seigel
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to seigel
Right, so is this an airport express update, itunes update, or a 10.4.4 update...I didn't seem to get it with the itunes update, I haven't seen an airport express update, and well I am downloading 10.4.4 update now

Cheers
James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkow
But in my opinion, the bigest improvement is...

Okay I just fired up iTunes and guess what I found: if you are playing music through Airtunes, in the little pulldown menu where you choose the remote speaker you can choose Multiple Speakers and play through more than one at a time!

I am currently listening to music through both my Airport Express and my computer at the same time and in-sync with each other.

I don't know if it has to do with the Airport updates I did earlier today (which were realeased on January 3rd but I never saw until I was on the Apple download page trying to get the OS 10.4.4 update), but it works well and is, I think, a major new feature for iTunes/Airtunes.
seigel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:54 PM   #15
agentkow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigel
Right, so is this an airport express update, itunes update, or a 10.4.4 update...I didn't seem to get it with the itunes update, I haven't seen an airport express update, and well I am downloading 10.4.4 update now

Cheers
James.
The Aiport Express Update is here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html

There is an Airport Extreme update as well.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:10 PM   #16
jhero
macrumors 6502

guys, just press the 4th button to the right at the bottom...

and they pulled the 7.0.4 updater...

why???
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:10 PM   #17
johnji
macrumors newbie

Quicktime Update

Does anyone have anything to report on the Quicktime update? I'm desperately hoping that the advertised H.264 improvements will speed up encoding in this codec.

I'm right in the middle of compressing an only 5 minutes long video using Compressor on a Dual G5 2.0/2.5 GB RAM which incredibly still has 20 hours to go!!?!

I'm stopping now to install the Quicktime and 10.4.4 updates which fingers crossed will add a noticible improvement to this situation.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:29 PM   #18
mumbai
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhero
and they pulled the 7.0.4 updater... why???
Maybe because I'm not alone in that 7.0.4 update hosed my 10.3.9 machine ... Java applications crashing ... Disk Utility dying during permissions verification ... utter hilarity ensuing ...

A MacFixIt post mentioning the 7.0.4->7.0.1 downgrader -- http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...cktime704.html -- spared me the pain of a QT-borked system.

Good catch, Apple.

{edit out logorrhea}

Last edited by mumbai; Jan 10, 2006 at 08:24 PM.
mumbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:02 PM   #19
swheeler
macrumors member

When I first saw the ministore I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Had me worried until I came here.
swheeler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:13 PM   #20
Laser47
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by swheeler
When I first saw the ministore I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Had me worried until I came here.
I felt the same way, at least we are able to hide it.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:18 PM   #21
TheArchpadre
macrumors newbie

Half-star ratings

So iTunes now supports half-star ratings. Kind of. Badly.

I use a number of AppleScripts to provide a finer-grained rating system, the neutral point of which is 50. (For those who don't know, iTunes ratings are actually from 0 to 100. *=20, **=40, ***=60, and so on.) All songs still at this neutral point now show up as **1/2. However, songs that have been increased to somewhere between **1/2 and *** stars register as just **, so the system doesn't round down properly. Furthermore, I haven't been able to find a way to actually give a song a half-star rating within iTunes.

Peculiar.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:23 PM   #22
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

I don't really like the traffic lights on the mini mode but I'll probably live with them all the same... At least they only go like this when the curser is nearby.
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:27 PM   #23
maxterpiece
macrumors 6502a

wow, turbo negro - I'm gonna have to check him out. Is he in the music store?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:32 PM   #24
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Yeah, can't say I'm a big fan of this either - I thought Apple was above this type of advertising, as it kind of cheapens the app, but ah well - at least you can disable it...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:34 PM   #25
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxterpiece
wow, turbo negro - I'm gonna have to check him out. Is he in the music store?

It's possibly the worst song I've ever heard. It's from my brother's CD and I really doubt it's on iTMS.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion