Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Hello all,

I am planning a family road trip and want to be able to keep my 5yr old occupied. I want to transfer kids movies I purchase to a wireless HDD and stream via their app to my ipad for her.

I do not have enough room on the iPad to download them locally and streaming via LTE will blow through my data limit.

So my only option is DRM removal. Any suggestions?

TIA

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
You probably shouldn't be posting a thread asking for DRM removal. You can backup any DVDs / Blu-ray that you own with handbrake or makeMKV.

I understand, but it's not DVDs or BDs I need help with. It's just movies I already bought from itunes. I own them, but can not access them from an external drive from an iPad. Even though the iPad is authorized on my itunes account said movies were purchased with.

Unless there is another method or app that I can use to access itunes files on a wireless drive and play them as is with DRM. The stock video app only works with itunes homesharing so no go there.

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Been there. I finally just gave up and copied my iTunes movies to an old laptop, then enabled home sharing, plugged it into an old wifi router that I had sitting around and set that up as a wifi network in the car. That's all home sharing needs. No internet required. Stuff the laptop and router under a seat and you're good to go.

If you don't have a car power adapter for the laptop and router, you should be able to find an inexpensive power inverter. Routers don't pull very much power. You would need to make sure your laptop power supply doesn't overload the inverter though.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I use this to backup my iTunes movie purchases: http://www.m4vgear.com

It *isn't* a piracy tool. You need to have an iTunes install that is authorized to play the movies. This tool seems to intercept the authorization communication between iTunes and Apple, and uses it to remove the DRM.

Personally I keep the DRM encumbered files in iTunes because they stream a little more smoothly my ATV, but I have the DRM free versions on a backup drive, so if ever the iTunes store dies, I move to a different platform, or for any other reason I lose the ability to play iTunes movies, I'm covered.

TrackZ

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Most drm removal tools end up playing back files and reencoding a recording off the playback, except for requiem. Does this m4vgear reencode or just straight copy the file as is without drm?

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
They claim it's a lossless rip, I.E. not a transcode. I can't tell for sure, although I cannot detect any obvious re-encoding artifacts, and the conversion time is very fast (much faster than I'd expect for an encode), so I take them at their word.

It does however change the container type from iTunes M4V to MP4.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[Mod Note]
Asking for specific applications to remove DRM is not permitted by our rules

Things Not to Do
Forum Rules

These habits can produce warnings and repeated violations can produce bans.
8. Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.