Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
iPhone 6 4.7" rumor is everywhere. I prefer 4.0" screen because it's convenient, I don't carry a bag so 4.0" is easier for me. Maybe women like big size since they usually carrying a bag?

I am curious this Tim Cook just planning to do change screen thing in his whole CEO period?

Last edited by a moderator:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Tim Cooker? Who's that?

Don't know, 4.7" display hasn't been demonstrated. Wait and see.

4.7" devices like HTC One fit in pockets of normal jeans and slacks just fine. Skinny hipster jeans, I dunno.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Tim Cooker must be Tim Cook's cousin lol. Even if they do increase the screen size on the top spec model the C range will still be the same size, or the 5s will drop down to replace the 4s.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
4.7 is about the perfect size. Having had phones like the GS2, GS4, and Nexus 5, they seem to have it right. Can't wait to have ios on that kind of screen size.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
While I would probably get a 4.7" iPhone, I think the 4.0" of my 5S is just fine. Honestly, I was using my 4S for its GPS the other day and I really miss how it fit so perfectly in my hand and how easy it could be be use one-handed. The 4S was the perfect size IMO.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
My on,y issue with a bigger screen is it's just gonna be more icons...that's what I loved about my gs4 and nexus 5, perfect size screen and you can add what you want to the screen or not

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
This doesn't matter. Every person that is upset about a 4.7 iphone releasing will someday buy one and most will buy it the day it releases

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
i'm excited for the 4.7in. i think the iphone 5 size is damn near perfect. a little bigger will be great, especially with a high resolution.

we will just have to wait and see

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If they reduce the bezels then 4.7 is dynamic. If they don't iphone6 might be bigger than the optimum size most people are looking for

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
most people don't realize that a 4.7" screen can fit in a phone slightly bigger than the 5s most use now. and with a bigger screen knowing apple they will probably make it thinner so fitting it in your pocket or hand won't be a problem.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
From a portability standpoint a small phone based around a 3" screen would be perfect.

From a usability standpoint a 4.3 may be my ideal.

I like the 3.5 - 4" compromise. It's a shame that these sizes will probably disappear.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
As long as it could be made in such a way as to not be too much larger than the current 4" I would definitely be interested in a 4.7" iPhone.

EmileBerteloot

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2013
An increase in screen size doesn't mean the phone itself is going to get proportionally bigger. If they manage to reduce the bezels the overall phone size will probably be only slightly bigger.

I wouldn't mind a bigger screen.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
2 different definitions: screen size, form factor, one matters to me: form factor. Current form factor is perfect. I can't believe Apple is ready to stop offering it. So I believe that if the screen size is increased, it will be in the same range of form factor.

5s form factor can be slightly enlarged, but not so much. Something around 3mm max. With less sides and top/bottom bezel, we can get to a 4.7" that the rumor says. Hopefully it will remain a fully one handed operational device.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I hope they keep a 4", one hand function makes a phone.
Anything bigger needs two hands to operate and so in my opinion becomes a tablet with phone functions.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
I'm fine with the 4.7 inch screen, but I'm totally ok with the current screen size. I always get the newest iPhone the day it comes out... I'm worried more about the possibility of the camera protruding from the back of the phone... I like the current flat back casing so it'll be interesting if that changes.

truelies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I agree the proportion is more important. The main reason I upgraded to 5 is the 16:9

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I'm kinda flirting with the idea of having a 5.7 myself. It would be nice for Apple to keep all three sizes but I doubt they're gonna do that. The 4.0 will be reserved for the "c" line most likely

My on,y issue with a bigger screen is it's just gonna be more icons...that's what I loved about my gs4 and nexus 5, perfect size screen and you can add what you want to the screen or not

I dont think it'll be more icons, the icons will just be bigger. Like the Ipad, it has just as many icons as the Iphone but they're just bigger.

as far as being able to add or subtract icons, can't you do that with the Iphone ?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
most people don't realize that a 4.7" screen can fit in a phone slightly bigger than the 5s most use now. and with a bigger screen knowing apple they will probably make it thinner so fitting it in your pocket or hand won't be a problem.

I think we're all hoping this is what happens. More screen space in the same size package can only be a good thing. I wouldn't be too excited about a new iPhone with 4.7" screen and the same wasted space around the edges.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I'm kinda flirting with the idea of having a 5.7 myself. It would be nice for Apple to keep all three sizes but I doubt they're gonna do that. The 4.0 will be reserved for the "c" line most likely

I dont think it'll be more icons, the icons will just be bigger. Like the Ipad, it has just as many icons as the Iphone but they're just bigger.

as far as being able to add or subtract icons, can't you do that with the Iphone ?

Widgets. I don't know if you've ever experienced an android but it's nice to have the option of a big ass clock widget and a few apps, or just a blank screen..having a choice is what I'm getting at. It's not just icon upon icon upon icon.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Widgets. I don't know if you've ever experienced an android but it's nice to have the option of a big ass clock widget and a few apps, or just a blank screen..having a choice is what I'm getting at. It's not just icon upon icon upon icon.

I agree.
It would be nice to get away from the wall of icons look (as an option), like in Android.
But I sure wouldn't count on it. Apple doesn't really believe in giving people much choice as far as customizing iOS goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.