Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I am considering in the future getting a new Mac Pro through my families business, I've been told its tax deductible to go that route, but other than that I really have no experience with leasing electronics. Was just wondering if someone could give me a ball park idea of what the terms look like on a Fair Market Value Lease ?

"Lease it
Businesses can get a Fair Market Value lease for 24 months at 0% rate
on payments.
$3,000 minimum order.
Swap for the latest model at the end."
http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/finance/lease

Does this work like leasing a car or is this version of fair market value so bad its not even worth considering.

Thanks in advance, just want to get an idea of if i should even be looking into this before making the effort to go into a store and talk to someone about it.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
It's Tax deductible whether you lease or buy if it's used in a business. On a lease you write off the lease payments and the leasing company owns the machine. If you buy, you estimate a usable life and depreciate the asset over time.

Lou

SimeoneSergio

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2012
London UK
All my macs have been "taken" using that formula, really happy with it!

Bear in mind i'm from Europe (the hot and sunny Italy) and for my previous MBP i used the lease: at the end of the lease i just "finalized" the purchase with still 1 year of Apple care and sold my MBP (Late 2011 I7 2,4 Ghz 8gb 250gb SSD) for 1,3k euros and bought my current rMBP.

Same went for my oMP. A lot of professionals use the leasing option and honestly i think it's best.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would discuss this with a tax accountant to see which one makes the most sense in your case, and location.

In the own situation you can write off the asset via depreciation and after that you still have the machine in your possession, with leasing you can write off the payments but you have to return the machine after the lease expires.

SimeoneSergio

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2012
London UK
Excuse me Mike... Maybe in the US is different, BUT...

In Europe i had the opportunity to buy the machine at the end of the lease paying a 5% extra of the lease... And it is what i did.

Isn't this option present in the US? Sounds strange to be honest...

And ye, discuss it with a tax accountant but a lot of professionals here in Europe prefer the leasing way, there should be a reason :rolleyes:

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Thx for the responses so far. Does an electronics lease function like an auto lease. More to the point are the values similar. As If I am leasing for 2 years how much depreciation am I actually paying for with a leased computer. I guess I should call and see if the money terms make sense to me. If it was similar to a car lease and that 0% interest was correct I would be able to purchase it at the end at the value that was considered fair market value at the start of the lease?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That question is probably best answered by an accountant, he'll give you the best advice on how to proceed, not anonymous people on an internet forum :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.